What speaks to you about the Telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by matmchugh, Oct 25, 2018.

1. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All the reasons mentioned above. Especially honest, unpretentious, and reliable. Probably the biggest reason is one I can’t quite put my finger on: When I’m sick of the world and all the anxiety it brings, I just have to look at that Telecaster sitting on the stand and she just says, “Everything’s gonna be alright.”

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't say I pick a Tele above all else, but it is certainly in the top 3.

It is mostly the sound and sustain that attracts me to the Tele.

matmchugh likes this.
  3. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

For me it was more of a challenge. I played Strat & Les Paul for 20 years, then came across Brad Paisley. Wanted a Tele pretty bad once I got into his music.
    Unfortunately I didn't find them comfortable at first and actually struggled to play well with what I used to. Took considerable hours of practice before I was comfortable to gig with it.
    What speaks to me now is that country tone that they're known for, the twang and that Paisley-esque overdriven sweet leads.

matmchugh likes this.
  4. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

Talking about things we love can be one of the joys of life. It bonds us to a community and feels good. I’m sure sometimes it gets boring to see another thread espousing the joys of a Telecaster but it’s easy enough to just move on to the next one that may be of more interest to you. I just think that a lot of people who play Teles really love them, I know I do, and want to connect with others that feel the same. If others are having fun, and nobody is getting hurt, then why not let ‘em ?

Epiglottis likes this.
  5. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

WORD

6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I know this is weird, but I especially like a bottom/side view. There's a photo in RS in 1971 or so, of Leon Russell standing next to someone such as Joe Cocker (this was the Mad Dogs era). He was holding it upright and sideways, so that the only things visible were the maple neck, also side view, and the bottom side. The white/light color gave off a little shine around the edges, giving it a thick, solid look. The photo was captioned: "To each his own supergroup." I've looked for this to no avail.

That's the way I am with some things. There is one particular angle and lighting that brings something mysterious to mind. Another one. For a few years, I would practically have an orgasm whenever I saw a Fender or Sunn amp with JBLs, possibly Altec-Lansings seeming to float inside the cab, due to the unusual reflections of the dust covers. I grew out of that.

I've done this with women. I used to get a glimpse of someone on a train or whatever, and go off into a reverie of her beauty and what a wonderful person she must be. Then, I see a different angle, and the illusion is lost. I've done this a little with photos, too.

matmchugh and 8barlouie like this.
  7. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

More than anything else, the way it responds and sustains... it's different than any other electric guitar. The way the strings respond when you pick them, especially when I play with my fingers. The wide string spacing... just the whole feel of playing it. It's a different experience, and it changes the way you play.

Also, I'm used to the extra bass on the low strings because of the pickup slant (I'm guessing). I have a hollow body with P90s, and when I play on the bridge pickup, the low notes don't sound deep enough to me anymore.

Plus, of course, it looks cool.... sleek and clean and modern and classic all at once. I can imagine what people must have thought when they first saw it in 1948. I really think it's the most unique, original vision of an electric guitar ever designed. It's so well thought out... the simplicity is deceiving.

matmchugh likes this.
  8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It is not. I am enjoying reading it.

9. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

Love this, the World is an interesting place !

10. Evil Funk

Evil Funk Tele-Meister

comfort, reliable tuning stability, simplicity, actually use my volume and tone knobs to affect change in my sound.

i can have dirty growling gain on the bridge pickup, then switch to the neck for smoky cleans. roll off the volume and go to crystal cleans. i don't use any pedals when playing my tele into my z-wreck and i still go clean to mean on it.

but i used a lot of effects with my strat and never touched the volume and tone knobs.

matmchugh likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You know what else? Tele’s look great with a patina. Some guits just look dirty and mangy when they get beat up, but not tele’s. They age great because there’s nothing fancy to muck up or break off. It’s hard to disfigure a tele.

matmchugh likes this.
  12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Another Telecaster Love Poem thread! Great....

My tele(s) stay in tune good, they cut through a mix, and they stick in the ribs so they're easy to keep hold of. Kinda homely but in an endearing way. Like a rescue pup that turned out to be a dang good doggy.

I like Gibson styles about as much as teles though.

matmchugh likes this.
  13. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

A good Telecaster is like a good old truck. Not fancy, but unfailingly reliable, perfect for the job at hand, friendly and comfortable.

Evil Funk and matmchugh like this.
  14. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Elegant simplicity.

Evil Funk likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.