What speaks to you about the Telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by matmchugh, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Afflicted

It’s got a real pretty mouth.

matmchugh, Fuelish and LocoTex like this.
  2. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

When my telecaster speaks to me, I put it down and go for a long walk.

matmchugh likes this.
  3. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Sure...along with being informative about model ranges, dating (chronicling), personal experiences/suggestions about models, Fender history, setup assistance, sharing anecdotes, modding, identifying fakes, learning specs, FSR/limited editions, sharing a NGD, etc...I could go on.

That's what I thought this forum was about...but I could very well be wrong. It's happened once before.

matmchugh likes this.
  4. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Hey, it's all of the above .....
    I was just kind of being lighthearted (and self deprecating) in saying what I said
    I appreciate to no end the depth of knowledge that is available through the members of this forum
    To me it's all good ........
    Let's just have fun with this whole thing .....

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The distance between the strap pins and the bridge sets up an ergonomic triangle that your hand naturally rests right around the Tele bridge -- so you most often pick on top of or just forward of the bridge pickup. A Strat will cause you to strum in the middle of the neck and bridge pickups and maybe even slightly forward of that (because your hand hits the volume knob if further back). An LP will also tend to have you picking closer to the middle (but causes more palm muting technique).

So the Tele is on average brighter just due to picking location and thus cannot hide in the mix if you make an occasional error.

thunderbyrd and matmchugh like this.
  6. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

The simplicity of a plank of wood with a neck bolted on. I have one, the only one I've ever owned. I like my Carvin better, but I have no plans to sell the Telecaster.

matmchugh and LocoTex like this.
  7. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

And can be a weapon in a pinch...

matmchugh, DCW74, Skamania and 3 others like this.
  8. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

Tone wise, nothing really feels "wrong" to me on a Telecaster... For example, I wouldn't feel right playing 'Whole Lotta Love' on a Stratocaster, or 'Pride and Joy' on a Les Paul. Yet a Tele feels just fine in either situation.

If I'm going to a jam night or something where I'm not sure what sort of music I'll be playing, the Telecaster is the one to go for. With a Tele I know that whatever style is being played, at no point will I be wishing I'd brought a Strat, a Les Paul or something else.

It can cover so much sonic ground, with such a simple layout.

matmchugh and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  9. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

uh yeah baby !! :cool:

it already is so .. the main forum name is life ;)

matmchugh and Murphcaster like this.
  10. LocoTex

LocoTex Tele-Afflicted

It's ruggedness. Nothing short of Kryptonite can kill it. Well, maybe Pete Townshend...

matmchugh and 8barlouie like this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the telecasters I really loved had a "raw" quality about them.

matmchugh and 8barlouie like this.
  12. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I love other guitars better. But Buck Ownens made me notice his guitars as a kid. The flag colors. And if it is good enough for Buck then it is good enough for me. And country music used a lot of them. I like 80's pointy, 60's qurkey vintage more. And new wild shapes. But the Telecaster has been used for years.

matmchugh likes this.
  13. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

The fact that all other solid body electric guitars are just gilding the Tele.

matmchugh likes this.
  14. Lord_Ingipz

Lord_Ingipz Tele-Meister

Simplicity and appearance for me. Pin stripes/automotive decals of yesteryear and a CAR finish is all that makes me happy. I played strats for a long time but Telecasters just felt at home for me. I grew out of love with the strat and just can't seem to play them anymore feels like I'm playing a surfboard.

matmchugh likes this.
  15. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Depends on who's talkin'!

What others have said: Simplicity, versatility, the solid sound of the bridge pickup's notes and the sweet sound of the neck pickup's notes. The fact that it both invites you to play it and yet it wrestles back. You gotta earn its fluency. It's not the easiest guitar to play, in many ways, but it's (thus) the most rewarding. Like getting knotty wood to dovetail smoothly and then really, suddenly shine when you bring out its stubborn grain.

matmchugh likes this.
  16. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Simplicity versatility & rockability

matmchugh likes this.
  17. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

^^^ Was just going to write the same ^^^

18. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Randall Fullmer is a former Disney and Pixar executive who quit the biz to devote his time to building electric basses. There's a good documentary of him, in which he describes growing up near Hanford, in Richland, WA. Many of the dads in town were PhDs who encouraged their children in all kinds of directions. Randy's was music, particular guitar building, which he started doing in his teens. But I knew him as the guitarist for the Isle of Phyve, one of the top bands in the area. He played a Tele with a rosewood fingerboard. I talked to him after one gig, asking advice on what kind of guitar to get (I had a Lyle). He strongly suggested the Telecaster for all the reasons mentioned above. As well as price. Never did get one until 11 years ago. At the time, I was soon buying a 54 Strat and 53 Les Paul, and saving for the L-5 I got a few years later. Like many guitar players who also hung around music stores, I considered going to the vintage guitar business. Too much effort and uncertainty for me. At the time, I was confident that I was of a small number of Portland musicians who knew the value of older instruments, and regularly saw lots of good deals in the paper. But soon came some major collector/dealers on the scene who would get up early in the morning.

matmchugh likes this.
  19. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Can only speak in respect to my one and only Tele ('Thinline '72 RI), it plays just right. Only my 2nd guitar with humbuckers, I can get what want outta it, but, I have 3 single coils, and after all these years mught just be a single coil kinda guy … Strat, BMG (TriSonics wired in series with multiple switching) and my Epi Wildkat with P90s ….I think I have my bases covered, electrically speaking, and have no desire to acquire another guitar, quite honestly …...although, if I came across the money, I'd love to pick up a mid '60's Harmony Bobkat H15 (the guitar I learned on and played for decades.....single coil DeArmond gold foil single coils, it had ….when you're a kid, you don't realize stuff like that

matmchugh likes this.
  20. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Rugged simplicity ala' K.I.S.S.

matmchugh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.