What speaks to you about the Telecaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by matmchugh, Oct 25, 2018.

1. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

I subscribe to this state of mind ⚡️

brogh likes this.
  2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I have always liked the shape and design. I think I posted in one of the historical threads on the topic that my wife really likes the look of it. She's been an art professor for 40 years, and is super-up-to-date on goings on in the art world (she travels to art things and artists come here to campus all the time, even to our house.) So, that's her.

Believe her when she praises the look of the Tele. For her, it is in the proportions of the body. She's referred to it as having a touch of the art deco in it.

8barlouie, mimmo, matmchugh and 2 others like this.
  3. matmchugh

matmchugh TDPRI Member

AWESOME. That’s a very cool perspective. Guitar design is art for sure. It’s certainly inspired us all and is interesting to hear the aesthetic view of an artist from another field.

4. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve read the body curves are all just French curves, straight from the tools

Cool

matmchugh likes this.
  5. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

The very first impression; that attracted me to the Tele was the feel of the neck, and overall feel when strapped in.

A Mexican Tele was my second guitar ever, when I was still trying to figure out what I liked in a guitar.

It's arguably not the most beautiful guitar out there; from the perspective of a non-player.

But..then the feel of it just had something there.

None of my guitar heros at the time were tele players. It was Les Pauls and Strats. I favored the LP's, thanks to Jimmy Page. Had no idea of his history with the Tele at the time.

Later, I came to realize how much I love that neck pickup, And the neck position in general. 80% of the time, what I like to play, I use the neck pickup.

For seriously rock out tones and feel on the bridge pickup; the Tele, for me, is the only thing that can out "Les Paul" a Les Paul.

So it's completely a feel thing.

matmchugh likes this.
  6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

Always faithful, always reliable, will never let you down. No trem to go out of tune, no muddy neck pickup (Les Paul), no too-bright bridge pickup (strat)... just simple, bolted-on, hammer-like efficiency.

brogh, Chicago Matt and matmchugh like this.
  7. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Oddly, for a Tele enthusiast, the standard tele tones don't suit my playing style very well. So I'd tend to have a Tele with something other than the normal pickups configuration. Even more an outlier, of the classic tele pickups, I like the neck one better than the bridge.

But I really, really like just about everything else.
    I like the maple fingerboard sound.
    I like the size, balance, and weight of a tele (especially if they've got a heavy body; again an outlier).
    I like six in line tuners
    I like where my hand sits on the bridge plate (I play fingerstyle so this matters)
    I love love love the look of a Thinline. F-holes forever. I'm not 100% convinced it makes a big difference in tone. Don't care.
    I like one volume one tone knob.
    I like being able to "hide" some extra tone options in a 5-way switch without polluting the whole top of the guitar with extra switches and knobs.
    I like the scale length.
    I'm an inveterate projects and tinkering guy. Teles are the best guitars for a DIY partscaster build, and lots of interesting and easy DIY mods.

matmchugh and swany like this.
  8. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Everything.

mimmo and matmchugh like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

matmchugh likes this.
  10. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

the distinct bridge pickup sound is what gets me.

yes the design is perfect and all that but thats a bonus , that sound tho!

matmchugh and JL_LI like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

For me, the bridge pickup. I like the neck pickup and the sound from the combined pickups as well, but the bridge pickup sound is the defining Telecaster sound IMO. I would never be happy with a Telecaster as my only guitar, but I'd be miserable without it. My Telecaster and Strat cover all my bases. My Annie and SG aren't redundant. I'd miss them but I wouldn't feel as bad if they were gone.

matmchugh likes this.
  12. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

JL_LI, you beat me by a few minutes!

What I like is (are) the sound of the bridge pickup, which I think we all agree is unique. I love that twang, or snap. (your choice)

But, I have always felt the Telecaster had THE BEST sounding neck pickup going.

Followed closely by the Les Paul and the Strat.

There's also a special feel a Tele has when you hold it.

An all around pleasing guitar.

Better than soup on a cold day. :cool:

Mike

matmchugh and JL_LI like this.
  13. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I love slab guitars. Simple, solid, indestructible... mostly.

matmchugh likes this.
  14. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

its a no-nonsense, tank of an instrument that covers 90% of the sounds you will ever need.

15. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Just an aside, you can still have a "real time" discussion in an already existing thread. Especially when said topic has been broached countless times.

I don't want anyone to misunderstand me, but I'm a member of several different gear/equipment forums. I'm not biased towards one specific make/model/brand. I consider myself a guitar enthusiast. More so, I consider myself a music enthusiast. I enjoy and play many different kinds of guitars and other instruments. But in my experience, I've not come across another forum that pontificates as much about the design and attributes of a guitar as much as this one does. And there's nothing wrong with touting the design of any guitar. It just seems like it's done so much more here that Tele enthusiasts feel as though they have something to prove. One would almost get the impression that the Tele is the red-headed step child of the guitar community and that people should be constantly reminded just how many achievements it brings to the table; considering the plethora of threads lauding and praising said instrument.

A Tele doesn't have anything to prove. It doesn't have to be justified. It speaks for itself. Perhaps there should be a sub-forum or category solely dedicated to talking about how much people love the Tele?

...Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

16. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

Right on Brother !
    I will refrain from any negative comments about naysayers, and simply applaud your enthusiasm for a subject we all enjoy discussing ad infinitem ...

fatcat and matmchugh like this.
  17. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

That's funny, I thought that's what this Forum is, a place dedicated to talking about how much we love our Teles

matmchugh and brogh like this.
  18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i like the tweed case it came in, so i kept the case

matmchugh likes this.
  19. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Rugged simplicity coupled with sonic versatility~and hey they feel and look great!

matmchugh likes this.
  20. Rusty Stauffer

Rusty Stauffer Tele-Meister

Played for 54 years now and can’t explain my attraction to the Telecaster. They just pull me in and never let go. It’s In a league of its own to me.

matmchugh and brogh like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.