What speakers did Fender put in BF-era Super Reverbs?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scout2112, Feb 13, 2020.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

After snooping around this morning and listening to samples, I think either the Weber 10A125-O or WGS G10A will fit the bill as a CTS alnico replacement... leaning towards the Weber due to the lower price.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Had a customer from Boston who had that problem. Except their condo didn't have a basement...

Not that they could use, anyway.

My solution was to talk to dude's Wifey. Turns out their living room was done in shades of pale blue. I covered his amp with Mojotone Carolina Blue with that mid- '70s Fender blue stripe grille that's butt ugly on anything else. Styled the cabinet to look like a big smiley Ms. PacMan.

Wifey loved it! It's right in the middle of their living room. Only drawback is it blends in so well you might trip over it.

rolandson and Wally like this.
  3. vintagelove

vintagelove Tele-Meister

I can tell you for sure, the combination of vintage Jensen c10? with cts is heaven.

I have a 64 and quads of each. When I xy both, every guitar player who’s ever walked through my door has fallen in love. Simply amazing.

4. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted

The very first Super Reverbs had a quad of Jensen C10R's. The C10R's were stock until mid 1964. Mid to late '64 saw either CTS ceramics or Oxford ceramic 10K5's.

[​IMG]

ocduff and Wally like this.
  5. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

Yes, I've got a October 1964 Super Reverb with CTS ceramics.

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

I've had a few Super Reverbs but don't recall each one..The ones that I do remember had CTS..

uriah1 likes this.
  7. GFrank

GFrank Tele-Meister

It depends on how you want to go - easy or difficult/old or new speakers. Old speakers may be tired and useless and in need of re-cone. New speakers will need to be broken in.

Old: CTS or Oxfords are amazing.
    New: I would go with Jensen C10Rs, they are terrific. I have no experience with Emi Blue Alnico and don't even know if they are made anymore, but plenty of people swear by them.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

My 1965 Super Reverb came with Oxfords. I pulled them and put in a set of Jensen C10Q speakers to gig with. Now I play most gigs with a Princeton Reverb.

schmee likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1...and as noted in the link I provided. Those “Dating Fender Amps” articles, 5 of which were published in 20th .century Guitar circa 2000 are the source of documented information on many, many thousands of Fender amps.
    IF one is interested in all of the articles, go here....http://www.ggjaguar.com/biblio.htm. fwiw, the research of all of the thousands of Fender amps is what enabled the three authors to create the Serial number charts for Fender amps. Priceless source of information, ime.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

4 Eminence GA10 SC64s would cover the ceramic Jensen 's. Paper formers - really nice crisp tone.

Or Eminence blue frame 1028ALP alnico. That's the paper former version. Not quite CTS, but much nicer than the Reissue Jensen 10s. Not as praaaap trumpety.

Or - two of each. Just be warned - they're very efficient and LOUD.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    schmee likes this.
  11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

The 66 Super Reverb I've got came with a quad of Italian Jensen C10Rs when it came to me originally. Probably be leaving them because in spite of my early misgivings, they sound pretty good and they aren't real efficient. If I was going to replace them I'd be keeping an eye on the sensitivity ratings, last thing I need to do is make a SR any louder.

rolandson likes this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is what I'm permitted in my living room...
    Booger-Frnt`.jpg Booger-Back`.jpg

It's all about marital bliss you see.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'd go with the Emi's if I was doing it!

OP: Be careful, I put two Weber 10F150's with two 10F125's in a Super once, not only was it heavy as hell, it was too loud to play anywhere! One beautiful thing about the Super is the light duty speakers can honk without being too darn loud...

scout2112 likes this.
  14. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

My 66 came with CTS Alnicos. Loved them til they wore out. They’re in boxes in a closet now.

I’ve got Emi 1028K’s in it now. Very happy with them. So much so I haven’t gotten around to getting the CTS speakers reconed.

WGS Veteran 10’s sound good in a Super too IME.

15. Sombrero Top

Sombrero Top Tele-Meister

I'll second that, WGS G10 C is also very nice speaker in a Super but it's heavy alright.

scout2112 likes this.
  16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know if it would fit your décor but I could camouflage that to look like an early '50s black and white television or an old "cathedral" radio.

I was at a house cleanout recently. The old guy bought a Bendix console phonograph from the guy who serviced Bendix avionics over at the airport. He went to the bank and took out a loan, $469 for a phonograph in 1947.

By 1965 the old Bendix was a little long in the tooth albeit paid for. Besides, it was mono instead of the new fangled stereo. He bought a Zenith Cobramatic "portable" stereo.

He and a friend carried the Bendix down to the (nice dry!) cellar. They put it on a pallet, stashed all its paperwork including the bank loan inside covered it with a quilt.

The Cobramatic was on a table down there as well.

BobbyZ and rolandson like this.
  17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Totally agree. I have had both and the ALK1028s (after a bit of break in) are every bit as good as the original CTS's. Such a huge and inexpensive upgrade to the P10Rs that come with a lot of stuff these days.

Wally likes this.
  18. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I’ve been shopping around and ran across Jensen P10R-F speakers... anyone heard of these?

“developed in cooperation with Fender®, for the Custom Shop ’57 BandMaster and the 20th Anniversary Vibro-King amps. By means of a different cone membrane, the P10R-F has a warmer, ‘aged’ tone, and breaks up in a sweet, progressive manner. A very unique speaker for true Tone-Connoiseurs.”

19. buddyboy

buddyboy Tele-Meister

My 1964 Super Reverb was made in August 1964. It's loaded with it's original Jensen C-10R speakers, all four of which were made in May of that year.

Wally likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.