What speaker(s) have been in your Deluxe Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by waparker4, Oct 19, 2014.

1. bbutler356

bbutler356 Tele-Meister

I bought my DRRI because it had lots of bass. I'm very satisfied with the Jensen C12K that came in it. But I decided to try a Celestion Heritage (more costly) G12H, and I got the one whose bass response goes down lower, the 55Hz.

When I put it in, I was a tiny bit disappointed that it wasn't QUITE as bassy as the Jensen, but it was close enough.....but the CLARITY of the speaker, holy crap. It made the Jensen sound muddy in comparison.

So now I LOVE that speaker in there. It's only 30 watts, and the DRRI is 22 watts, but I'm not worried since it's a Celestion. I've dimed it to kind of test it, and no prob. And I mean dimed it with full chords, not just notes.

I bought another one since for a 1x12" extension cabinet I had. It's BIG sound with 2 twelves now.

Since then, I bought a Celestion Creamback (the heavier 'H' magnet and 75 watts) and I put it in my Badcat which is styled after a Fender Deluxe Reverb. It's a fantastic speaker in that, so I'm sure it would be great in the DRRI also.

I would propose using a 50 oz. magnet speaker in that amp since the stock Jensen has a 50 or 52 oz. magnet, and that amp DOES have a lot of bass response for the speaker to put up with. :)

2. bbutler356

bbutler356 Tele-Meister

I'll BET that's nice. And it now resembles a Twin Reverb

IN WEIGHT!!!​

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Interesting. I wonder how this speaker would sound then

https://wgs4.com/ReaperHP

4. bbutler356

bbutler356 Tele-Meister

If you're asking, sorry, I'd have no idea. :)

5. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

I'm with the guys who have JBL D120s in them.
    I have an early 65 BFDR, with a red frame D120F, and it is the perfect speaker for the amp.
    Nothing else is even close.

6. Booman

Booman Tele-Holic

Curious Teleguy61, what kind of music to you play? Not doubting a quality of sound through your JBL but a blanket statement warrants the question.

7. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

This is really a great speaker

[​IMG]

8. KeithRichard

KeithRichard Tele-Holic

The best

9. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Ted Weber said he thought the JBL D120 D120F was the best sounding speaker. Ever.

With Any JBL you have to Rethink Tone Settings. Also the D120F was the Original Upgrade for all Fender amps of that time that used a 12.

The Altec Lansing 417c and the 417H are Great Speakers for a Deluxe Reverb. Slightly Less Efficient than JBLs.

10. badassbill

badassbill TDPRI Member

WGS Reaper in mine...absolutely love it.

11. willvis

willvis TDPRI Member

I have an Eminence L'il Texas and I love it---I am surprised---I'm kind of snobby---had a Weber 12F150---Vintage 30---G12H30---Cannabis Rex---but decided to try out the Neodymium and it's pretty great. It also sounds good through a WGS Reaper.

12. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

I have, or have tried...
    The original stock old Fender CTS that someone had reconed with what appeared to be a hemp cone. That one was real nice. Then had to get it reconed. Got the regular paper one. Sounds like a typical old Fender 12 now.
    Oxford 12 from my Pro Reverb. Nice.
    Jensen P12Q...ok but a little strident. Probably real nice after you take the time to really beat the hell out of it. Do 1,000 gigs with it.
    Cannabis Rex...Nice, no explanation needed.
    Weber Sig 12B...that was good. Think I might get one to replace the Celestion in my Crate V30
    But I've ended up with these two.
    Fender Eminence 12. This is the 50W one they used to put in the DRRI. Think they used it in the Blues JR and Hot Rod Deluxe at times too. It's like an Emi Legend 125. This ones great if you want the DR to have a little more focus, a little more volume, a little more headroom, a little more bass, but still sound like a DR. I used this when I was using this amp a lot with the R&B singer. lately I've been using my Crate V30 (3112) with him mostly, so now for the DR...
    Got an Eminence Legend 1228K in it. Turns the amp into a killer little blues machine. This might be my favorite speaker of all for this amp. Except it's kind of a trade off. It narrows the uses of the amp down a bit but focuses the remaining ones like a laser beam. Don't get me wrong, this is not a "blues only" speaker. More that it is not real efficient and doesn't have a lot of bottom end clarity when turned up.

13. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

I have 2 old Silver Faces. One (stock) has the original Oxford, the other (modified with beefed up power supply, Twin output transformer and 6L6's. Basically it's a Vibroclone with a 12) an EV SRO. It weighs a TON... but is a killer clean amp for pedal steel and guitar. I have reverb and trem on both channels.

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

You know what's in mine but I'll post it anyway for others.
    Mine has the Tone Tubby 40/40 12" hemp cone speaker. Keep in mind it's been hand wired and a Dr Z Brake Lite is on in the video IIRC.

The TT is really nice. It's really round and big sounding. Cleaner than other speakers I've heard in DRRIs and much warmer with a ton of bass (in a good way IMO). It tames the highs but doesn't even come close to killing them. The perfect speaker for me. Can't wait to get the 10" version in a Princeton-style amp.

15. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

12" Weber Signature Custom Wound 50W that offers a big headroom and tight bottom....just like a mini-Twin.....

16. Slidedude

Slidedude Tele-Holic

Old post I know, but I have two of these in the shop from an old HRD. My Jensen PQ12 is pretty broken in and it's just OK. So this Emi would give me what?

17. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Oxford 12L6
    Weber 12F150
    Weber 12A150
    Weber Silver Bell
    Weber 10F150 & 10F150T ( w/ 2x10 baffle)
    Celestion Gold
    Celestion G12H30
    Celstion Vintage 30
    Altec 417 8C
    Emi Cannabis Rex
    Tone Tubby Hemp Cone
    WGS G12C

And the winner is... WGS ET65

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2015
  18. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Interesting on the ET65...I got one under the steps I will have to try..a gold
    is in there now..

19. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have been jonesing for an ET65 bad .. since playing a twin reissue with two of them. Best r &b clean tone I've played thru yet

20. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

I love the ET65 in my BFDR! Versatile, well balanced, clear but not shrill. Efficient but not too hifi.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.