1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What speaker for VOX ac15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mg426, Sep 8, 2012.

1. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

I just had a celestion Greenback go bad.... Looking for a replacement. Options....... celestion V 30...Celestion Greenback (same speaker ) Celestion alinco Blue.....Any suggestions are very welcome......Telecasters are the only guitar played through this Amp.. So I am looking for any suggestions to support the Tele / Vop crunch...many thanks.....

2. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Going with a Blue might be interesting but the vast majority of people seem to stick with Greenbacks (even those of us who originally planned to swap it out for a Blue) as they pair so well with this amp so maybe it might be an idea just to get a new Greenback? I wouldn't go with a Vintage 30 myself as I don't think it would suit this amp. I have nothing on which to base that mind you, just speculation.

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

how loud are those 15w amps? could you play with a loud drummer or maybe even a small un-miked living room/basement sized gig?

4. mg426

mg426 Tele-Holic

Mine Rocks..It will easily keep up with a loud drummer...Never had to push it over half way inside. Outside Gigs are another story...I lean the amp back on a stand so it blasts right into me ear and all is well...

5. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

You could get the Greenback re-coned? Over here it works out cheaper than a new one if you can find someone to do it.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I have an alnico Eminence Red Fang in mine and it sounds fantastic. Very efficient speaker. Very smooth. Nice bottom and nice chimey top end. They are expensive now, but if you can find one used, you might be able to get a deal. Can't recommend it enough.

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Emi Red Fang if you have the cash to go Alnico (I had an AC15TBX with the Celestion Blue..and it was the most 3D sounding amp I ever played a tele through.)

Other idea...Weber Blue Dog - their take on the Celestion Blue, but with a ceramic magnet. Lots of chime and throaty punch in the Blue Dog (had one in a Blues Jr.).

8. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

I just put an Eminence Wizard in mine - it gave a good bit more headroom and tightened up the mids a lot - leads cut through a lot more now. That being said, I've only tried it with humbuckers so far - we'll see this week when I break out the single coils how it sounds then. Also it's a great deal at 85$ - I wasn't even really looking that hard for a new speaker but figured it was worth a try at that price.

9. losergeek

losergeek Tele-Afflicted

I've been gigging mine for 2 years - played everything from unmic'd rooms to 100 people to 450 capacity places mic'd. It has no problem hanging with any of my bands (including my old 7 piece punk band), however that depends on how clean you want to run it - it breaks up quickly so if you like crystal clean tones, then it's probably not the amp for you. Although this is also one of the reasons why I just swapped the stock speaker for the Wizard, so I could get a little bit more clean volume for the odd occasion that I want it and it has worked really well.

10. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I too have been gigging an AC15 for a while, sometimes alternating with my Deluxe Reverb. Volume had never been an issue. For one thing, I have very efficient speaker in it. And for another, we keep stage levels at sane volumes and let the PA do the heavy lifting.

11. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I really like the Greenback in the AC15. If it ever shuffled off it's mortal coil I'd replace it with another. i've tried a couple old jensens P12's and an Eminence Texas Heat, Wizard, and Red white and Blues. All were good sounds. There's magic in that there Greenback.

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The "correct" speaker for an AC15 is the Celestion Blue G12-15 Alnico (Vox Blue), but my favourite speaker in them is the Greenback.

Either the current Celestion G12M-25 Greenback, or better an olde Rola-Celestion G12S-20 Greenback. If you blew up a Greenback then you are going to blow up a fragile 15W Alnico Blue. Been there... hence the Greenback.

13. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Maybe the Eminence Legend GB128 would fit the bill. It's their take on a more efficient GB at 50watts.

14. bunny 7

bunny 7 Tele-Holic

Good choice in this ^^^

Another choice is the Eminence Private Jack, their version of a Greenback.
    I copied this from the Eminence FAQ page.

What are the differences in tonality between the Legend GB12 and Private Jack?
    The Legend GB12 is a speaker with distinctive British tonal characteristics that are often associated with Vox or Marshall products. It has many of the qualities of the Private Jack, but is much warmer and smoother, lending a little more bottom end. Private Jack has all of the same great qualities of other well-known vintage British speakers including thick mids, an extended top end, and the controlled break-up you would expect from a classic British speaker.

Remember in an AC 15 C1 it will need a 16 ohm speaker which is available in the Private Jack.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Private_Jack_16

The GB128 is only available in 8 ohms.

http://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Legend_GB128

Just so you know before you order if it's your choice on a speaker.
    Hope it helps.

15. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I've read good things regarding Warehouseguitar speakers "Green Beret", (their clone of the "Greenback"), and the price is nice. I have not heard them however so can't give them a genuine endorsement. The testimonials indicate they are good speakers and should be a little easier on the pocket book.

http://wgs4.com/content/gb

16. jefrs

Fyi - The current AC15 specification is
    VOX AC15C1 Custom Specifications

• Dimensions (W x D x H): 602 x 265 x 456 mm / 23.70 x 10.43 x 17.95 inches
    • Weight: 22 kg / 48.50 lbs.
    • Output Power: 15 Watts RMS into 16 Ohms
    • Speaker: 1 x 12" 16 ohm Celestion G12M Greenback
    • Inputs: Normal input jack, Top Boost input jack, Footswitch jack
    • Outputs: External loudspeaker jack, Extension loudspeaker jack
    • Options: VFS2A Footswitch

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I recently got a WGS 12" Reaper 30 Watt speaker in 16Ω. Sounds great with my Vox Lil' Night Train. The LNT tends to be a bit brighter than the AC15C1. I'm looking at using this cab with a 15 Watt Night Train NT15H. I've also heard/read good things about the Green Beret. Might just pick-up another Kustom Defender 1 X 12" cab and get a Green Beret for it, run two 16Ω cabs in parallel in the 8Ω output, on the NT15H.

18. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

I'd go with the Wizard. . .103 dbls and exception clear tone. . .good treble but not too bright, well not for me. .

19. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

I am contemplating this as well.
    As much as I like the Greenback, it's not very efficient and adds some speaker breakup. If I'm doing the math correctly, The Wizard is "theoretically" louder than 2 Greenbacks (if one would add a extension cab with a Greenback).
    With the Ohm switch set at 8, wouldn't one 8 Ohm speaker be fine in the AC15C1?
    Sure kills the option of adding a extension cab though without some tinkering.

I really like the sound with the Greenback, a couple of dB's more headroom would be nice though without the need for an extension cab.

20. jefrs

The thing with the AC15 is it is a little hooligan and does sound good cranked up to 11. It breaks-up when you really crank it up and it doesn't matter what speaker you have fitted.
    The thing with the G12-15 Blue is it will blow if you crank the AC15 to 11 (been there)
    The thing with the Greenback is it does have that break-up that suits the AC15 cranked to 11.

The other thing with the Greenback is it sounds quite lush at low volume but tightens up to give good clear highs at high volume, which is as it should be.
    The Greenback is a 25W speaker, the AC15 doesn't really have enough power to make it break-up unless the amp is overloaded, that "lack of headroom" is down to the amp not the speaker.
    If you do want more dBs of headroom then you need a different amp - the AC15 is Class AB but biased more to the "A" side of things resulting in the "15 watts". If you want less volume and headroom, get a Blues Junior ;) Its contemporaries the 17 watt WEM Dominator (Marshall 18W) and Marshall 20/22W get more power and headroom with a hotter bias on the same EL84s. They are noticeably louder, and also use the venerable Greenback.

The other other thing about the Greenback is they take a couple of years to bed in. Thrashing them won't break them in, it takes time and they just sound better and better as they age.
    A Greenback will currently set you back about £60, it is not Celestion's most expensive speaker, but the copies don't come close.

I don't know the American speakers all that well but I thoroughly dislike the cheap Eminence OEM that arrive in many amps - it should be said that Celestion make a range of cheapo speakers too. And so I now have a pair of Greenbacks in my modified Epi Blues Custom, which must be well over 30W now (2x6L6GC with increased B+ etc) but with 50 watts speaker capability the Greenbacks do not fart out unless we really drive the amp off the scale, which we don't do because it is deafeningly loud then.
    Marshal 4x12 cab? - Greenbacks please.

The output impedance switch on the AC15 is so you can add another 16ohm speaker ext cab in parallel, making 8ohm - but the full 16ohm secondary winding of the OT sounds better. This applies to any amp, use the full winding for best efficiency and sound. That means do fit the correct impedance speaker (15 or 16 ohm).

... and one more thing - forget about that efficiency rating, each manufacturer has their own method of measuring that, they're all different. Yes, some are a wee bit louder than others, you compensate with the volume knob, so go with the speaker that sounds best.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.