What song is this?

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
As I recently traipsed around in one of our 24/7 hypermarkets looking for stuff that absolutely could not wait until morning
I was stopped by some really great music. They had a PA going with some radio channel(as do most of these places) and this
song just grabs me. I stopped everything and just listened. I was smart enough to note some key phrases from the lyrics to be able
to Google the thing afterwards. Production-wise it sounded like pretty modern pop so I wasn't surprised I hadn't heard it.
Just surprised they had let a good song get through.

So... I Googled the phrases together with "lyrics" as per my standard MO and Google provided... absolute bupkis!

Sure, I got pages upon pages of irrelevant songs but not what I was looking for at all.
When songs sound like modern(ish) pop and get played on one of our wear-down-the-workforce-until-they-quit -stations it's usually
famous enough for Google to have heard of it so it's strange to say the least.

So... I'll pitch what I've got here and hope somebody's heard of this thing.
Haters of the song are perfectly welcome! You don't have to like it, I just need for you to ID it for me. :)

First phrase(somewhere at the end of a verse or in the bridge):
"I could sit through a thousand words"

Second phrase(This is from the chorus. Repeated two or three times. The chords here were VIIb-IV-I(a.k.a a permutation of The Autopilot)):
"You and I go so far back in time"

VIIb _ _ _ _ IV _ _ _ _ I
___ You and I go so far back in time

Last edited:

Weazel

Tele-Afflicted
Next time, Shazam is your friend (if you have a smartphone)
I can not tell you how much good music I have gathered further info on by using this gem of an app.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
avaiable on pc too i think. If you have got a mic.

Yeah... this thing...

audio-technica-at2020-_1_REC0003504-000.jpg

But probably not the first thing I'll be reaching for when I hear a song in the PA in the store. 😄

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah... this thing...

audio-technica-at2020-_1_REC0003504-000.jpg

But probably not the first thing I'll be reaching for when I hear a song in the PA in the store. 😄
You can sing or whistle the melody if you can remember it. It should work too.

edit yeah i think it might work. I have never used it though. You give it a try and tell us.

Last edited:

folk-on

TDPRI Member
So... with the caveat that this probably isn't the song you're looking for... best I could come up with. I used to work in a record store and loved it when people came in with questions like this (pre-internet...back in the late 80s).

I thought maybe you got the words a bit wrong, because I thought "I could sit through a thousand words" was funny. That's only 4 typed pages. Perhaps whomever this is being sung to isn't all that special.

But here goes... (warning for anyone who had daughters that were into the "Twilight" movies)

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
You can sing or whistle the melody if you can remember it. It should work too.

edit yeah i think it might work. I have never used it though. You give it a try and tell us.
I can vouch for whistling into Shazam!

I didn't really recall the band, the song title, the exact year, enough lyrics to search for, or anything useful like that.
So, out of desperation, I installed Shazam on my android phone and whistled the melody into it.

It worked! I found this: