1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What soldering iron are all the cool kids using these days?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Honga Man, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

I have an old soldering iron that I bought at Radio Shack for about $20 fifteen or twenty years ago. It still works but the tip is sort of melted into a fatter blob of metal than I'd like for delicate use - such as mini-toggles.

I've never owned a good one, but I think it's time as I have a few guitar projects to complete. I don't need "the best" as I'm just a hobbyist but I don't want the cheapest either...which I assume is what Radio Shack sells.

Thanks for any recommendations.

2. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Weller WLC100 is probably right up your alley. Variable heat control, though not digital. I use 2 of them, and keep a screwdriver style tip on one for grounds and a very fine tip on the other for tiny wires.

3. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

I've bought cheaper irons in the past that would still be useable if I could find replacement tips.

I recently purchased a Weller iron because I know I'll always be able to find tips for it.

4. steam-powered

steam-powered Tele-Meister

Inexpensive and works just fine, setting the dial at max for wiring jobs.

5. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I got this one too for my first soldering project ever. Worked phenomenally well, and I bought it based on various recommendations and Amazon reviews. I used it set around 3.5 to 4 for the Thunderdrive build, for tinning and soldering.

6. Progbusters

Progbusters Tele-Meister

the one with the blue handle at stewmac, its pretty good

7. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Anything with a chisel tip in good condition will work fine for pot lugs and switches. If you're working on PCB's for stomp box kits, then a smaller tip and a rheostat is important to keep from lifting the traces from too much heat (same issue applies with imported superswitches with plastic bodies).

Make sure you have a sponge, or find a tip cleaner that's made of a ball of bronze wool, to keep the tip clean. RadioShack has a little tin of tip cleaner that works well. But always remember to add a dab of solder to the tip before you touch the workpiece, and then when you're done always leave a blob of solder on the iron - you clean it before each use not after. The blob of solder keeps the hot metal underneath from being exposed and oxidizing. Eventually, though, you must replace the tip.

8. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Weller WES51. I've been using one daily in the shop for the last 4 or so years. Bought one for at home last year to replace my vintage Ungars. You can solder most anything with this unit if you use the right tip.

9. Honga Man

Honga Man Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all. I'll check into Weller irons.

10. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I use a Weller 25 watt chisel tip for signal wires and a 100 watt stained glass chisel tip iron for grounds. The high heat lets you work quickly.

11. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

Hakko FX888

12. Tom Pettingill

Tom Pettingill Tele-Holic

Hakko makes some great gear. I've had my 936 for about 15 years now and its been a pleasure to use.

13. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I use the hakko 936 great iron never have problems with it and heats up in like 5 seconds and stays hot. It gets abused and just keeps going.
    They should still make the 936

14. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Many of us are using either a Weller with rheostat, and stand
    or a knockoff. Mine is an offbrand.

That way, you have a variety of heat settings, instead of a one trick pony.

15. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

+1

16. lothar34

lothar34 Tele-Meister

I've been using this one for the last 6 or 8 months. It's amazing so far (about 20 projects). I've never had a digital, variable heat iron before and I will never go back. It only takes about 20 seconds to heat up.

Aoyue 9378 60 Watt Programmable Digital Soldering Station - ESD Safe, includes 10 tips, C/F switchable, Configurable Iron Holder, Spare Heating Element,100-130V:Amazon:Industrial & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@4172H6mXtoL

17. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

18. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

My dad introduced me to a "soldering gun" as opposed to an "iron" when I was a kid. We used to make tube radios and tube amps together.

I've got three soldering irons now but I still keep reaching for the gun out of habit…

[​IMG]

19. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

The gun pictured above is what I'm using. Went through almost every other Welles pencil at lowes and Home Depot. Got the gun and nooooko problems with it being too low on heat now. Cuts my time down by hours. Seriously.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's the same one I have.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.