1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What size saddles for Squier Paranormal Cabronita?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by HonenShonin, Oct 29, 2020.

1. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

I posted this in the Squier sub-forum, but then it occurred to me that it might belong here instead.

10.5mm or 10.8mm?

I recently got a new Squier Paranormal Thinline Cabronita (Jazzbronita?). It's a lovely guitar. The neck feels great, the frets are nicely done, the Fiesta Red finish looks good, and the pickups sound really nice.

The hardware is a little cheap, though. The first two things I want to replace are the tuners (which have an annoying amount of play in them) and the bridge saddles (since I don't like bent steel strat saddles).

I'm looking to buy some Gotoh block saddles in steel or brass (haven't decided which). The problem is that I don't know what size to get. I gather that some bridges need 10.5mm saddles and some need 10.8mm saddles. Unfortunately, the distinction is so fine that I'm not confident I can accurately determine it with a ruler.

Does anyone know what size saddles I need for this guitar? 10.5mm or 10.8mm?

Your help is much appreciated!

2. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

It depends on the screw spacing of your particular bridge -- can you not measure it? Measure the distance between strings 1 & 6 (e.g., a 10.5 mm saddle will stack together as 52.5 mm, E to E).

I would suspect that the narrower choice is appropriate: 10.5 mm. A TV Jones bridge Filtertron has a pole spacing of 51.56 mm -- that seems like a good pairing.

3. HonenShonin

HonenShonin Tele-Meister

Thanks, I'll take another look. The strat saddles that come stock on the bridge seem fiddly and imprecise enough that I'm not 100% confident in being able to nail the measurement to within 1.5mm using just a ruler, but I'll give it a go.

I'm also learning that I get better Google hits if I search for 52.5mm and 54mm instead of 10.5mm and 10.8mm. It does seem you're right that the Squier bridge is probably 52.5mm.

Thank you for the help!

Theorage likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.