What should I use to power my BOSS ME-80?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by adamlovesgin, Feb 23, 2018.

1. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

i'm more than happy with my ME-80, and have been getting good results with it though the Practice studio's Marshall AVT100 clean channel.

But when we gig, do I really need a guitar amp, or will a powered speaker be just as good?

What does the ME-80 work best through? a Valve amp? Solid state ? (I have severe GAS for a BOSS katana 50), or one of those dedicate FRFR speakers ?

In a bit of a quandry :(

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d still use a guitar amp.
    The Katana is an excellent choice.

JayFreddy and adamlovesgin like this.
  3. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

To my ears, the ME-80 sounds great through the clean channel of a guitar amp - I've tried Peavey Delta Blues, Laney VC15, Vox MV50-Clean and an old Bandit 65.
    I am planning to try the emulated output straight into the PA tonight so I'll have to report back on that option.

Felino and adamlovesgin like this.
  4. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

The Katana has just about got me convinced. Wierdly the only things that are putting me off is how inexpensive it is and the number of feature it has (too many).

I could also pay twice the price and go Blues Cube, but is that really necessary?

I used to use a Blues Junior for a pedal platform, but it didn't take a lot to make it flub out on the lower strings with gain.

I think I'm just a bit too anxiously-minded to go down the valve route again.

5. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

When I use just the acoustic thru it, I go right into my board. With the Tele I go into a Roland 30. Eventually I'll be upgrading that. I keep it on the clean and use the ME80 to do everything.

adamlovesgin likes this.
  6. cattzap

cattzap Tele-Meister

As far as powering the ME80, I use the factory Boss power supply.

adamlovesgin likes this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Do you use the ME80 as an amp modeler, or just effects?

If it's just effects then you definitely need to plug into the front of an amp. If you are using the modeling then I recommend getting a used SS amp with an effects loop and plugging your ME-80 into the effects return. A used Peavey Bandit is perfect for something like this but there are many others. All your tone shaping is done in the ME80, the "output level" on your ME80 becomes your master volume knob. The amp becomes a power amp/speaker... but you still have the full amp should you ever need it.

Just another opinion ;)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  8. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

I use it as an amp modeller, really impressed with it actually. The Stack model + a bit of Tubescreamer takes me to the same ballpark as my old overdriven valve amp, but with much more switching versatility and convenience.

Felino and codamedia like this.
  9. codamedia

FWIW... I picked up a used Peavey Bandit for $100CAD a little while back, and I've been plugging my modeler(s) into the effects return as I suggested in the above post. It works surprisingly well when working with electric tones.

10. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Hmmm, the K50 has no effects loop, I may just look into the bandit though.

What's the advantage of using the return again? Just to be able to change volume from the pedal?

11. codamedia

No - when using the effect return the preamp of the amp itself is disabled... it adds no colour to the sound and just reproduces the sound ME-80. It is no different than buying just a powered speaker... other than the fact that it isn't full range.

adamlovesgin likes this.
  12. adamlovesgin

adamlovesgin Tele-Holic

Ah I see.

13. PinewoodRo

FWIW the ME-80 straight into PA last night worked but sounded disappointing compared to a clean guitar amp. It had some DI type fizzyness to it. Could maybe dial it out if you needed to but my usual sounds didn't transfer that we'll. Still had a nice dynamic playing feel tho. Back to the clean channel guitar amp for me.

Uncle Butch likes this.
  14. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

I normally run my ME-80 through the FX loop on my old Hughes & Kettner tube amp, and it is everything I want. I'm playing a venue tomorrow that has a no amp policy and it sounds awful. Thin and fizzy is the best way to describe it.

15. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Your local music store should allow you to try out a few amps using your own guitar and pedal.
    Go try a few different ones and get a better idea of what works best for you.

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you need to deep dive into eq/amp/cab modeling and clone some presets to new locations to work with that sub-par system. Sounds like it's pretty janky and guy who's running board thinks everybody gets the FRFR response tune up. I just want to punch out those people.

Sorry but different instruments need different board/mix considerations. If we have do all this eq and **** before it hits your board, why are they even F'n paying you. Any chimp can flip a power switch on and set all the inputs to unity.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Uncle Butch likes this.
  17. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Steam power. Just hire somebody to pump the bellows. You'll be the talk of the town ;)

18. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Holic

Pony up for around $100 more and get the 100 watt that has an effects loop as well. It’s a GREAT amp. Love mine!

Waitingfergodot likes this.
  19. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

If you guys haven’t figured it out by now, you have to insert headphones into the headphone jack to enable the cab sims if you’re going direct to a full range system like a pa.

20. PinewoodRo

Yeah, mine had the amp SIM on thanks. I have a spare h/p jack in my case.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.