What Should I Do With My Classic Vibe Tele

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I'd look around for a Strat you can't live without and use it as a trade-in.

• You're not playing it because of the new Tele you like more, so it's sitting idle.

• You aren't gigging enough to need it as a backup.

• Someone else could be enjoying it - Just in time for Christmas!

Just my two cents.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, if you're playing out, back up. If not... it's a wide open world of sounds in guitars. For me I feel like I have very narrow amount of guitars that I like the feel of. Strat / Tele. And if it's a decent SG. I also recently played a Cort that's sort of strat like and I liked how the body felt. The thing needed work though. Cousin's kid might be selling it. I liked how it looked and felt body wise and if I could get the action to where I'd like it, I'd say it's a decent guitar. Every once in a while I like a hollow body but I feel like most of them bend the strings when I play. Some don't though.

So, my point being, if you're picky like me, you might just want to keep what you got until you find something that feels right, then trade it for that or sell it after the fact. It's always good to have a back up.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Esquire it!

The real question is how you play music. I saw that you don't gig. If you just noodle around the house, sell it or give it away. If you record, you might Esquire it or put in very different PUs to make it different from the Isbell. The Bender is an interesting idea, but you are sinking a lot of money into a cheap guitar that you don't love. I guess if you spring for the bender you could could shop for a better neck afterward.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I had a CV 50s Tele about 10 years ago, the white-ish one. It sounded great but I hated the skinny neck and it weighed about 8 lbs.

Only justification for keeping yours is if it's fairly light and if you're up for finding a fatter neck to put on it. A Baja neck in good shape with tuners will run you around $285 to $300. I don't think it's worth doing, but if the body is light (unlikely) it might be worth it to have a spare Tele.

I don't think it's worth it to turn it into a Bender.

My vote would be to just sell it and look for something with P90s. Or do a trade.

Sparky2

Friend of Leo's
2. Sell it.

SELL IT.

:eek:

BELA STARE.jpg

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Keep it and trick yourself into playing it once in a while for variety.

Put new strings on it, and put it in its case. When the strings on your current fave die, just grab the other guitar with the fresh strings.

Having multiple guitars is more fun than selling 'em IMO, depending on circumstances.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I have had a 2010 CV Tele for 3 or 4 years now and have always thought it be with me for the long term as I really like this guitar other than have never been crazy about the skinny neck.

Everything changed about a month ago when I ran across a Jason Isbell Tele in my local music store. This store rents gear so I rented it for a month, fell in love with it and bought it the other day.

This guitar is the most awesome Tele I have ever had my hands on so this leads me back to the CV

Considering the following options

1. keep it and use as a backup but the odds of it getting played are slim.
  2. Sell it
  3. Trade for a CV or MIM Strat ( don’t have a Strat)
  4. Mod it with a new neck( again unlikely to get played much)
  5. Something I have not though of yet that may be suggested here.

So would appreciate opinions on my options, it really is a great playing and sounding guitar.

If it had a neck similar to your new one you would play it more and it would make a better back up.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
Keep it and trick yourself into playing it once in a while for variety.

Put new strings on it, and put it in its case. When the strings on your current fave die, just grab the other guitar with the fresh strings.

Having multiple guitars is more fun than selling 'em IMO, depending on circumstances.

I have to say I find inspiration from rotating my guitars.

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Thanks for all of the good advice! As exciting as putting a bender in, I think I will put it up for sale locally. I really like this guitar but the reality is it won’t get played and it is too nice a guitar to sit.

thanks to everyone for helping me think this through.

Wise choice. I've been the the same position before where I upgraded from Squier to a better instrument. As good as the Squier was, the new one was better in all ways so I had no inclination to play a less inspiring guitar. Put the money towards something you like as much as your new Tele!

Midgetje94

Tele-Afflicted
Late to the game. I have that same issue with a MIJ Jerry Donahue Tele. I love it. But don’t play it a whole lot as I have another Tele I like better. But feel bad having such a cool and nice guitar sit. I bounce the idea of selling it fairly often. But learn a new tuning.

The JD is my go to guitar for open G. Now I don’t play it a whole lot still. But it saves the tuning and retuning on my main guitar. Plus it’s actually set up FOR open G. So it’s justified… kinda lol