What Should a Tele Weigh?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by holndav, Feb 21, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting observation/analogy. One that I can relate to because of my wife's profession. She is a midwife, has been for 21 years. When I got my first tele more than 11 years ago, she still had an old style set of scales that used lead weights, kinda like this one (found this picture on the Interwebs)...
    [​IMG]

Using those old scales for my first two tele "babies," the weight was 9 lbs. 2 oz. and 6 lbs. 12 oz., respectively. Then my wife switched to those hand held digital scales one uses for fishing, and so my subsequent teles were weighed with that, and register the ounces in terms of tenths of a pound instead. I shared the weights of my Logan Custom teles (plus one non-tele) early on in this thread (post #5), but here they are again.

Mahogany solid body: 9 lbs. 2 oz.
    "Logo" thinline: 6 lbs. 12 oz.
    BSB swamp ash: 6 lbs. 14.7 oz.
    Firecaster (chambered): 6 lbs. 3.6 oz.
    My Logan Custom Tele family, with Vox Pathfinder 15Rs.jpg

My newest Logan Custom tele is the lightest one yet. I haven't weighed it yet myself, but Bob Logan said it was 5 lbs. 10 oz.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, pics I took - 2.jpg

VWAmTele and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm currently in the process of putting together a new Tele....the first I've done from start to finish. (although NOT from scratch....I bought a body and neck) I've mentioned my #1 is 8lbs, and that gets heavy on a gig. This one is a Paulownia body from GFS (2lb 9.5oz) with the Warmoth neck at 2lbs. Then, whatever the bridge, tuners, pickups and hardware weigh.....I'm hoping 6lbs or less total. I'll weigh when I get it together, but it won't be quick. I'm Tru Oiling the neck, and I don't want to rush. I'll post pics when done! ;)
    BTW.....love the pic of the baby scale....I remember those well from childhood. I use the scale at the self-serve kiosk at the Post Office.....my taxes paid for it, after all!

LGOberean likes this.
  3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

All my F style guitars are under 8 with one, my Thin Skin '64, at just under 7.

The LPs come in at just over 8.5 to just under 6.5 for my M2M Braz CR7.

Anything over 9 is no go. I've had two '70s Fenders that were both over 11.

Never again!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.