What sends you down the rabbit hole?

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
1) pedals**
2) amps
3) Mustang (car) parts

**noting that the professional reviewers/influencers can make two nickels and a frog in a coffee can sound good...so buy, buy, buy (bye $$$s):lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Tele-friend

Tele-Holic
Couple of years ago I was deep down into military airplanes. I had to know the specifications, capabilities, what kind of weapons they can use etc. Bought lots of books that were written by former military pilots about their careers, their combat deployments etc.
I even played computer games, you know, those ultra realistic where you fly different planes and deploy weapons (Lock On - Flaming Cliffs 2).
I was also builiding the aircraft kits, mostly Revell.

Then about 3-4 years ago I got back into guitar playing again. This time I dived real deep into guitars, amps and pedals. Watched a gazillion Youtube videos about the gear...

Simultaneously I went down into cycling. Started cycling myself a lot, but also watch Giro, Tour, Vuelta, the Classics... Knew all the results, all the best cyclists out there...

At the moment I am rabbit hole free:) And I am happy this way.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire

Yup.

Undiagnosed adult ADHD represent. Rabbit hole is pretty much my default setting. Last week it was antiwork and learning about welding. This week it's all about re-centering and mindfulness, and preparing for the next hyperfocus to inevitably come along.

While we're on the topic (hah), any suggestions for first time welding equipment? Arc? MIG? I have no welder and no experience. Kudos for full set up under $200. Yeah, yeah, I know. :oops:

mindlobster

Tele-Afflicted
Part of my work is help electronic music artists build their live setups. Hours and hours of reading about new gadgets and problem solving online. I love it!

pinchegil

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
For me its cyclic lots of "theres a squirrel" moments play guitar-> build or restore guitar -> build tube amp -> mess with pedals for a sound -> record some -> get frustrated switch to reloading and long distance shooting -> get frustrated -> do nothing for a couple of weeks rinse and repeat, about the only real constant thing besides work is hunting, gotta keep the freezer full

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife sez my autism comes out with the way I fixate on things. For example, lately, everything I watch on Netflix is Korean. Everything. The K-Drama show "Hello, Me" (about a 17-year-old who travels to the future to help her middle-aged self) introduced me to a K-group that the 17-year-old loved: Fin.K.L

Cheezy video from the 1990's...

Same here and with one of our kids. You can probably imagine my 24 hours of browsing and YouTube history with the oldest car needing tires and a repair.

On a positive note the kid's past days rabbit hole proved he was indeed working at college applications. I was woken up late needing to pay for "common app" and saw he did a fantastic job applying to 4 universities for an engineering degree. One of his essays was touching. Good writing is hard for both of us.

My wife says these characteristics that "baby B" and I share often drive her crazy also mean she can trust we'll really do something and do it well if we do.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Recent rabbit holes for me ( last 2 years) have been:

1. listening to mainly Danny Kirwan/Bob Welch era Fleetwood Mac ( say 1969-1974)

I love the earlier Peter Green ( and Danny and Jeremy) era, and am still sick of the Buckingham/Nicks hits- so this middle period has been fun for me.

2. listening to Poco- revisiting the mid-'70's era I listened to in HS and College, but now into first 1969 albums- Jim Messina!!

3. Buying/trying/ selling/keeping
cheap OD, distortion, and fuzz pedals

- partly for kicks, but always seeking what works for my low/moderate volume gigs.
I love distortion, but it has to work at the volume we play ( brewpubs, Cafes, etc.- not cranked Rock Clubs or loud bars). So far, so good!

I use to play 'good feeling to know' loads back in the day.

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I’m lucky. About 10 minutes of YouTube videos and I’m done, unless I’m looking for something specific. Following video after video? No thanks.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I use to play 'good feeling to know' loads back in the day.

Ritchie Furay has just the most fantastic voice in Country-rock. So uplifting and strong ( and high!)

I love the early band ( '69-'72 ) lineup the best, but Poco always had fantastic lead and harmony vocals.

Someday I will figure out how to really play the guitar on " You Better Think Twice"!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
If we’re talking YouTube, the latest thing that sucked me in was Martin Miller. I’m at my brother’s house visiting. He clicked on one video the other night after asking me “you ever watch this guy? His band is great and he has amazing guests on.” Six hours later…

lmjmitchell

Tele-Holic
I have so many interests that I go though periods where I focus on 1 or 2 intensely.

Lately it's been guitars and guns. In two months it might be books and knifemaking. I might focus on computer security and records after that. Just depends on my mood I suppose.

I probably rotate though a dozen or so interests during the year. I was talking to a coworker who is wired the same way and we both remarked that we would likely be busier after retirement than during our working years.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm not really into jazz, pretty much I don't like it. I don't care for bebop at all but when it comes to Charlie Parker, I can easily spend hours researching him.

http://www.philschaapjazz.com/index.php?l=page_view&p=radio

I listened to hundreds of hours of this show live on 89.9 FM. Bird and Phil are both gone now, but BIRD LIVES!

...luthiers rebuilding ancient guitars/fiddles...

I started watching this guy's videos, really enjoying his approach & video editing style.

Yup.

Undiagnosed adult ADHD represent. Rabbit hole is pretty much my default setting. Last week it was antiwork and learning about welding. This week it's all about re-centering and mindfulness, and preparing for the next hyperfocus to inevitably come along.

While we're on the topic (hah), any suggestions for first time welding equipment? Arc? MIG? I have no welder and no experience. Kudos for full set up under $200. Yeah, yeah, I know. :oops:

Don't buy a MIG welder for $200.

cousinpaul

Friend of Leo's
Ritchie Furay has just the most fantastic voice in Country-rock. So uplifting and strong ( and high!)

I love the early band ( '69-'72 ) lineup the best, but Poco always had fantastic lead and harmony vocals.

Someday I will figure out how to really play the guitar on " You Better Think Twice"!

I'm a huge fan, particularly the "Oranges" album. I saw Messina in SF on the first Loggins & Messina tour. He had two blonde tele's and tone for days. "Golden Ribbons" was a standout. He was one of the guys who nudged me toward my first tele.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lots o things. But one rabbit hole was me getting into vintage Tele's, which led me here, and here I still am LOL!! :lol::lol::lol: I guess that's one hole I never got out of... and I'm happy with that ;)