what s the name of that chord please ?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I am astonished at times at your chord construction and sometimes I am also amused. This is one of those times when I am smiling. At all times I find them intriguing and thought provoking. I can do what you are de#cribing, but there is a much simpler way of doing it which I find is not only simpler but more pleasing to my ear because it has the third in it.....
    X.8.7.9.10.7. Barring across the 7th fret gets the third and that #11....nice chord.

johnny k likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I do.

johnny k likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

X.8.10.9.10.7 -- F C E A B
    X.8.7.9.10.7 -- F A E A B

My version does have the 3rd (A) in it, while in yours it is doubled. Mine also have the 5th (C) which is a nice addition because of the rub against the #11 (B).

Of course, my fingering is offered as a joke. Another cool voicing for this chord is:

FMaj7(#11): 1x3415 -- F E B C A <-- extra points for the B/C minor second.

beagle and johnny k like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Big Daddy...of course you are correct. I was looking at only the fourth string third. my bad.
    I always try your fingerings....and most of the time wonder whadahey. But.....I see a lot of people play with very strange approaches to the instrument, and they are NOT joking. They are perhaps fooling themselves, but they are dead serious.
    I truly can achieve that chord you put up as a joke.....even while I have no idea why someone would do it that way. at any rate, I like the fingernail that I came up with much more than having a 5th 8n the chord. perhaps because that 5th and the #4 are too ‘close’...not physically but with regard to their place in the scale from which the chord is formed.
    thanks for giving me the reason to play a maj7#11. I’ll see what I can do with it.

and...yes....I can form your last joke, too. I have some good fingers, right? How about this one....1.3.0.3.5.5??. Got that one down yet....I like the 6th there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.