what s the name of that chord please ?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by johnny k, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I am astonished at times at your chord construction and sometimes I am also amused. This is one of those times when I am smiling. At all times I find them intriguing and thought provoking. I can do what you are de#cribing, but there is a much simpler way of doing it which I find is not only simpler but more pleasing to my ear because it has the third in it.....
    X.8.7.9.10.7. Barring across the 7th fret gets the third and that #11....nice chord.

johnny k likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I do.

johnny k likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

X.8.10.9.10.7 -- F C E A B
    X.8.7.9.10.7 -- F A E A B

My version does have the 3rd (A) in it, while in yours it is doubled. Mine also have the 5th (C) which is a nice addition because of the rub against the #11 (B).

Of course, my fingering is offered as a joke. Another cool voicing for this chord is:

FMaj7(#11): 1x3415 -- F E B C A <-- extra points for the B/C minor second.

beagle and johnny k like this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Big Daddy...of course you are correct. I was looking at only the fourth string third. my bad.
    I always try your fingerings....and most of the time wonder whadahey. But.....I see a lot of people play with very strange approaches to the instrument, and they are NOT joking. They are perhaps fooling themselves, but they are dead serious.
    I truly can achieve that chord you put up as a joke.....even while I have no idea why someone would do it that way. at any rate, I like the fingernail that I came up with much more than having a 5th 8n the chord. perhaps because that 5th and the #4 are too ‘close’...not physically but with regard to their place in the scale from which the chord is formed.
    thanks for giving me the reason to play a maj7#11. I’ll see what I can do with it.

and...yes....I can form your last joke, too. I have some good fingers, right? How about this one....1.3.0.3.5.5??. Got that one down yet....I like the 6th there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.