1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Purpose Does This Resistor Serve?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Steve Holt, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

20210124_093038.png

It's not something I see on Strats and teles. I wired up a jag several years ago and was having problems getting it to work. So I took it to a local shop to have it looked at and the guy told me I was missing this resistor. I can't remember the specific problem I was having (been too long) but I remember thinking it was weird that the missing resistor was the problem.

So my big question is, if I change the pots to 250k do I need to change the value of that resistor? I used 1 meg pots in my jazzmaster build and when I switched them to 250k it became much more enjoyable to play. So I'm starting there with my jag build.

@moosie I'm tagging you because I know there's an 80% chance you'll chime in with the correct answer and maybe some great diagrams. You're under no obligation to reply, but I figured I'd just make finding the post a bit easier for you. ;)

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

Steve, my Fender official looking Jaguar wiring diagram has a similar looking resistor across the low cutout slide switch (the one farthest to the right in your diagram) It shows as 120K on my diagram. My diagram is for a HH Jag and does not show the value of the master tone pot - I think we probably used 500K but frankly don't remember.

Just guessing from its location across the wiper of the tone pot I'm going to say that it changes the taper of the pot - remember that resistors in parallel add the reciprocals of their values.

Steve Holt likes this.
  3. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It's odd. I was thinking it would change the taper and set a minimum value to the tone resistance, but the way this is wired, it's not clear what the benefit is. I'd note the 'original' Jaguar wiring diagrams I can find do not show the 56k resistor.

Here's a plot of frequency response (magnitude only) with and without the 56kohm resistor. (Edit, updated for similar sweep on the pot, 0.001 to 0.95.)

upload_2021-1-24_13-33-27.png upload_2021-1-24_13-33-30.png

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

That resistor would make the sound darker in that position I believe. That or change the taper. Normally the pot resistance makes it brighter.

5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Steve Holt and micpoc like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.