what pot to change to brighten hb pup?

3 Chord

Friend of Leo's
I have a tele with a neck humbucker and a rear single coil. The hbr sounds dull. Both the volume and the tone pots are 250. What pot do I change to 500 to get more highend from the hbr pup?

skraprm

Tele-Meister
The volume pot.

Try a 1Meg pot while you've it apart. .02 and .047 caps, mix and match for maximum happiness.

It will brighten both pickups; so if you want to do something else, you'll need a new wiring scheme. Perhaps wiring the bridge directly to the jack?

You could also be hearing the difference between a HB and single coils. When stuck in same guitar, the difference in EQ really shows up.

Derek Kiernan

Friend of Leo's
Use 500k pots and add a 220k resistor to the bridge position. You should also consider, if you haven't, using a low capacitance cable as higher capacitance cables lower the resonance and drops off the highend above, especially with high inductance pickups (which the vast majority of humbuckers are). Humbuckers also lose highs from the choices made for their core material (screw and slugs), covers and mounts, which means you need to use both the 500k pots and low capacitance cables to maximize what's possible in terms of highend extension.

rigatele

Tele-Afflicted
Another option if the humbucker has 5 wires, is to use parallel coil wiring. It will greatly improve the high end and also match the 250k pot better. But the level will drop a tad, so this works best if the humbucker is relatively high resistance, high output.

GigsbyBoyUK

Friend of Leo's
Yet another option... Rewrire your guitar so the tone control only works on the single coil. Then dial in more treble on the amp until the HB sounds right. Then dial out some treble on the single coil using the guitar's tone pot.

I did this for ages with great results, then added a second tone pot (one for each pickup).