what polish do you use

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by narativesoul, Feb 20, 2013.

1. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Strange. The Gibson pump polish in the orange bottle is what my customers rave about. They are always asking me know I make the necks play so smooth. It's the Gibson Pump polish.

I use several different types. Because I have to detail guitars for photo shoots, I've done a lot of trial and error.

I use Martin polish to dissolve the goop on the fingerboards. Then I use Lemon Oil to finish them off.

To revive the shine on Nitrocellulose bodies, I'll use a cream polish like GHS guitar gloss or similar type to bring the shine back, then I'll seal it with Dunlop 65 because it seems to put sort of a "plastic" seal on the newly polished finish. Then I'll "super gloss" it down with Gibson Pump polish.

If it's a Poly finish, then I usually go straight to the Gibson Pump polish. If it has lots of surface scratches, I'll use the same process as with a Nitro finish.

I use only polishes and formulas specifically branded for guitars. Why? Because 99.9% of the guitars I polish are not mine and range in values up to $5000.00. If a polishing product causes damage to a guitar, I have some sort of recourse. If I use XYZ car polish and it ruins the finish, I'm pretty much sunk and will have to pay for the thing out of my own pocket.

Of course everyone has their own ideas on this. I've just figured this all out by detailing about a hundred or so guitars for photo shoots.

2. billiemorini

billiemorini Tele-Meister

I use Dr. Duck's Axwax And String Lube on my fender telecaster, takamine acoustic electric, and old yamaha classical guitar. All 3 have rosewood fret boards and, due to the low viscosity of Dr. Duck's, penetrates the rosewood very well.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I use beer and whiskey. Usually not on purpose.

4. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

+1

Mixed with some sweat, it makes for an excellent aging compound.....

5. GLtele

GLtele Tele-Meister

Virtuoso on Gibson electric and Turtle Wax Express Shine on satin finished Taylor acoustic (recommended by Taylor).

6. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

That's the sort of stuff. You don't buy it for the guitar, you buy it for the car and use a little on the guitar. You do have cars?

The automotive detailing products do work extremely well but you want to avoid the ones with silicone/polymers because they are not for wood.

7. tekbow

tekbow Tele-Afflicted

lighter fluid (Naptha) to remove dirt grease etc, and a guitar cloth (ernie ball lol) to bring up the shine. if it's a rosewood fretboard it gets a little lemon oil after

8. Lawson

Lawson Tele-Holic

Dean Markley's Love Potion #9. Had the bottle for a long time. I only use it once in a while, mostly when the 52 neck gets sticky.

9. Ed Miller

Ed Miller Tele-Meister

In my own shop back in the day I used Dunlop formula 65. Simply because I could get it a large shop size bottle. It's quite good. At my buddy's shop we use Gibson polish, since that was what was on the benches when he worked for Gibson. Their polish was actually a diluted cleaner called Brillianize. They got it in 55 gallon drums, diluted it with water and packaged it in house. He never knew the ratio. but even brillianize straight does an excellent job. I do really like it best for nitro finishes, and the smell takes me back to the first bottle of Gibson polish I had a s a kid.
    On my tele, I use a polish called Lizard Spit, It does a good job removing the the crud.

10. Spider

Spider Tele-Meister

This stuff works! I use it on all my guitars and all my Harleys.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.