1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What point to point EL84 combo amps are out there?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by 73Fender, Jul 4, 2014.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

A vintage amp is not a London Pro. There features on the London that just don't exist on older amps.

2. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

3. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Fair enough.

4. etiquettemona

etiquettemona Tele-Meister

PTP. Much better built than Fenders Pro Junior, if I may say so...

5. BenM

BenM Tele-Meister

It sounds like you are wanting something higher quality that you won't have to work on, so going with one of the boutique ones that has been mentioned is the way to go. Yes, you will have to spend some more money, but you will have something that you really appreciate, that will sound great, and will be more reliable.

6. borz666

borz666 TDPRI Member

Don't muck about. If you want EL84 tone for days and smile on your face every time you plug in get a Dr Z MAZ 18 or Carmen Ghia. Both gigable its just a case of how much tweaking you want to able to do.

A quick synopsis would be the MAZ is 2 parts VOX, 1 part Marshall
    the Carmen Ghia, 1 part VOX, 2 parts Marshall

7. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

My Goodsell17 is somewhere between the brit and Amer stuff....some good values now
    on used ones..

8. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Newcomb AV1612...$25....head/12" spkr in the lid tone monster, no mods required :D

Attached Files:

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have a Dr Z Mini Z and a Carmen Ghia.

If you enjoy your Blues Junior (I enjoy my Blues Junior) I would recommend trying a Mini Z. A Mini is a 5 watt amp and I guarantee that you'll get louder/cleaner with the Mini Z than you will with the BJ. You can also use the attenuator on the Mini to get dirtier/quieter.

I use my Mini at band practice and I have no problem staying clean over the drummer. It's a fantastic amp. The Carmen Ghia has a transformer that weighs a lot. When I lift my Carmen Ghia my brain can't understand the weight. It's a great amp but if you the mobility of a BJ you would love a Mini.

A new Mini is $900 and you can find them used for $600 which is pretty close to what a BJ costs now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a simple tone demo that I did with P90's....
    (Everything that I'm playing in the video is loud enough to wake the dead).

My Mini was used. My Carmen Ghia was new. No issues with either. The Mini is my favorite amp right now. It's a long time keeper.

10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

The Marshall Hand Wired series like a 1974x.

11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

You turned down an outstanding Traynor YGM3.... So the next choice would be a Lil Dawg Pug Reverb. One channel clone of a Marshall 1974 18 watter with verb. Does the Marshall thing. In spades. With the right speaker will also add some Voxiness.

REALLY does the Marshall thing well.

12. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

You know I've been thinking about this amp since it was posted..22 W right? Appears to be still listed. May be contacting the poster.

Never heard of that Lil Dawg..sounds cool. I have spoken to Jim at Lil Dawg..nice guy. Helped me with a CL find Lil Dawg 5E3.

13. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hand wired 18-watt EL84 amp, just over a grand unless you get crazy with options. No PCB, no turret board, no tag board - all wired with terminal strips. Built to order.

http://www.andersonamps.com/15 Watt.htm

I have one of Jack's 20-watt (6V6) amps. Truly a work of art.

What's the catch? There is usually a 16 to 18 month waiting list.

Attached Files:

14. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

They aint pretty, but for solid p-2-p build and quality components with the superb tone to match, at a price almost anyone can afford, it's hard to beat Jim Frenzel.

http://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/store/

Every guitar player should have at least one opportunity to plug straight in to a Frenzel amp fully cranked up and let it sing. You'll never look at your guitar the same way again.

15. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

The Pug is on Lil dawg's website. GREAT amp for the Marshall tone. Does OD and distortion perfectly. It is what dirt pedals try to sound like.

The Traynor is an entirely different animal, but a great one nonetheless. I put a WGS Blackhawk 100HP in mine so I have headroom for days. It is my clean amp...it is the only amp I use pedals with. Great build quality , killer tone, good verb and trem. Can't go wrong if you can get one cheap.

16. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I have seen these at a guitar show. Good sounding amps though the wait time is a bit too long.

17. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Well, I got to thinking about that Traynor jon posted above. From all I have read they are sleepers. If I was closer I'd go check out Jon's. Turns out a friend in MI has one that he had a custom cab built for and an amp whisperer friend of ours updated it and did a few common mods. The cab is made by the same guys who made the cabs for Paul Cochrane's Heritage amps. It is smaller too..about the height of a deluxe reverb and an open back. Depending on shipping costs I may get it.
    Edit: Made the deal today..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  18. Maxadur

Maxadur TDPRI Member

GRETSCH Playboy on the used market............. they were built by the Victoria Amp Company. I have one, I'll have it forever............

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.