1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What piece of gear did you pick up because "so and so" uses it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sswoverl, Feb 27, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

What about Duane? Only Dickey?

Jakedog likes this.
  2. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i have a bunch of fulltone stuff because Robin Trower uses it. amazing how much it doesn't make me sound like him.

Deathray and Chicago Matt like this.
  3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I also really liked his work in Army of Anyone with Rich Patrick from Filter on vocals. A great album. They should have done a second record.

- D

4. TeleCarlos

TeleCarlos TDPRI Member

My first good guitar with my own money: Fender Am Std Strat 89'. Love the block saddles. Wish to get more in different colors. I wanted a shreddy guitar too but my classicism won out, got me guitar that will never fall out of flavor, And they look sexy as hell!

A few years ago got my teen dream, an Ibanez RG570 of CL, mint. Recently ordered an RG565, out of pure lust.

5. sswoverl

sswoverl TDPRI Member

When I was living through STP in the 90's, I was a drummer who handled most of the recording engineer duties for the band when we were pursuing that path. So, my ears were listening to "parts". When the "Tiny Music" album came out, I spent a ton of time listening to that record and dug deep into the layers and layers of guitars Deleo played. Same with the TalkShow album (I think they were a year apart.)

Its been about 7 years now that I have been "a guitar player" in a band. Its a cover band, so i need to be able to cover a range of tones. Deluxe Reverb and a pedalboard with a variety of analog and digital effects get me there. I'm not copping "anybody", I'm copping everybody.

But last year, I realized I really had a gap at home, I needed a small amp that I could crank up without pissing people off. I looked at all the available vintage 5 watt tube amps on reverb. Almost pulled the trigger on a Silverface Vibrochamp. But something kept taking me back to an article I read about Deleo and his Valcos. So, I went that way, knowing I was getting something totally different than the BF/SF sounds.

6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I bought a Les Paul Junior because of the tones Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke gets from his.
    Great guitar, although I traded it along with a couple other things toward my hoy grail acoustic.
    I still cant play anything like Charlie and don’t expect to.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just recently bought an Olympic White Strat because I wanted one when I was about 18 because Ritchie Blackmore had one. So it was more out of nostalgia remembering that I'd always wanted one, not so much about Blackmore anymore. But in a way I realized a dream I had 40 years ago.

Before that I always wanted a Flying V because of Michael Schenker. For years I had a Flying V pin on my black leather jacket. Never got that one either. Maybe I need to get one of those too.

duzie likes this.
  8. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

when i bought my first guitar...it was a strat...i bought it not because kurt cobain had one but he had a black one...so i think i got it in black cause of him...im really suprised i got a black guitar...as i had a choice of any color as i was buying new...blue or white would be my choices today

i got a tele custom reissue cause dave pirner of soul asylum played one

got a les paul cause steve jones played one

want/need a mosrite cause the ventures...johnny ramone...ricky wilson...kurt cobain played them

9. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I’ve tried 2 Reverend BC1s now. They were both excellently made guitars, but I just didn’t love them. They have both since been resold.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I bought my EJ Strat because Eric is my all time favorite guitar player.
    I have a couple of Les Pauls because Dickey Betts, Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Jan Akkerman, Joe Walsh, Joe Perry, Jimmy Allsup, Dan Toler, Gary Rossington, Brad Whitford, Tommy Bolin, Paul Kossoff, Martin Barre, Pete Toenshend, Barry Bailey, Steve Marriott, JR Cobb, Mick Ralphs, Mick Taylor, Keith Richards, Peter Frampton, and Les Paul played em'.
    I got a Gretsch Chet because of George Harrison, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, Joe Walsh, Pete Townshend and Chet played em'.
    I have B bender Teles because I was inspired by Clarence White, Bernie Leadon, and Albert Lee.
    I must be highly impressionable! ;)

DavidP, Chicago Matt, JRtele and 2 others like this.
  11. Slip Kid

Slip Kid Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The white MIJ Strat I got in ‘86 was because of Jimi and SRV’s “Couldn’t Stand the Weather” LP.

I also bought my TS-10 in ‘89 because I read SRV used a Tube Screamer.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

only guitar stuff i've set my sights on like this is probably a 5e3. when i wanted to build it, i almost decided on a princeton reverb instead, but when i heard the house amp at van gelder's place was a 5e3 i just went for it. i'm glad i did.

other than that i got a little obsessed with building/assembling an sh-101 out of modules after getting into drexciya, was also a big squarepusher fan as a teen.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  13. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Telecaster, Danny Gatton.

RobRiggs and StrangerNY like this.
  14. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got a white EBMM Silhouette HSH after hearing my brother play his and talk about the versatility and comfort of the guitar. My brother has passed. I still have my Silo.

15. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have a distortion pedal that I really like( a Bearcat Blueberry) but I keep trying others. Time after time I still like the Blueberry the best. Robben Ford uses a Zen Drive and I really want to try one (or maybe a Twimble) but I'm afraid I won't like it as much as my Blueberry.

16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

sswoverl likes this.
  17. BrazHog

BrazHog Tele-Meister

Not me... the stuff I got was because 1) it was what I could afford at the time, 2) I thought it looked cool, or 3) more recently, because of a forum member recommendation. I guess it was a combination of being broke and oblivious, and maybe a bit of a contrarian.

TheDavis and edvard like this.
  18. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Thornbucker pickups, DigiTech Freqout, and Mooer Radar, all because I liked the Pete Thorn demos.

19. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Boss bd 2 when I saw one on tony joe whites board. Not to sound like tony but I’d tried one in the shop years before snd didn’t like it. When I saw tony had one and it was his only ‘new’ pedal I gave it another go.

20. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love Duane, too. And there is no denying the band wouldn’t have been the same if either of them weren’t there. But Dickey is one of my top two all time guitar heroes. There’s almost no instrumental guitar music that I like very much at all. I honestly can’t stand most of it. But I love his. His note choice and phrasing, and that sound! He just speaks to me more than Duane does.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.