What pickups are in this Bill Frisell Esquire?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by decibel, Oct 8, 2018.

1. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Hey all, new to the forum!
    I'm trying to figure out what pickups these are in this Esquire. Google hasn't helped, so maybe someone here recognizes them. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

The neck pickup could be a C.A.R pickup (maybe a TK Smith) there’s a few others that make them too

3. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

guitartwonk likes this.
  4. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Tele-Meister

The bridge looks like a Seymour Duncan Little 59 (possibly). I have one in my 52 AVRI. (Yeh, I know, sacrilege...) IMG_20171231_110153.jpeg

5. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That’s definitely a TK Smith in the neck position.

guitartwonk likes this.
  6. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Interesting saddles too.

nojazzhere and SPUDCASTER like this.
  7. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

The bridge plate and saddles are a “Mastery” bridge unit, it’s a small American company that makes different bridge units. Many Fender Jaguar and Jazzmaster players replace their original bridges with a Mastery made bridge, it has a reputation for being an improvement over the newer Fender saddles, no rattling noises and more stable for tuning issues, I have one on my Bigsby telecaster and it solved the rattling screws issues of the stock modern Bigsby kit bridge that uses the threaded saddles and small height adjustment screws. I also bought a Mastery Bridge for my ‘52 RI but have since replaced it with an angled compensated brass saddle set from Glendale and the original Fender stock bridge plate. Not because it was any better than the Mastery, it was just the desire to look more stock, the Mastery tele style bridge is 4 length screws and just two saddles for three strings each, so the bridge plate is proprietary as well because of the different amount of screws. Bill Frisell had a picture of this Tele on a website and named the style of bridgeplate there.

8. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

I’m also pretty sure as a previous post stated that Bill has a “Lil ‘59” for Tele Seymour Duncan pickup, I have one in my Bigsby Tele, it has it’s own sound and definitely is not exactly like a full sized humbucker or a single coil, it is nice for it’s purpose as a hum canceling pickup made to fit a stock Tele bridge hole. I like it in the guitar I use it in. Don’t expect a typical twang sound from it, listen to the samples on the Seymour Duncan website for an idea of its basic tone.

9. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Esquire?

10. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Awesome, thanks for IDing them. The neck pickup was especially confusing. Never saw one of those before.

What's the best/easiest way to get these in a tele style guitar? Is it to find a builder who will custom route a body for them and build one yourself? Find an Esquire style clone and route a second cavity? Modify a tele cavity?

Edit: To the post above this, I read somewhere that guitar was originally an Esquire.

tintag27 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

That’s what I was thinking!

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If it's an old Esquire. Do they make new ones? They were routed for a neck pickup.

A friend of mine has an old one he put a neck pickup in.

tintag27 and nojazzhere like this.
  13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There’s no need to get a Esquire clone if you’re going to install the Bigsby pickup in the neck position, any Tele body will do. TK Smith has the routing pattern on his website. Pickguards probably available there too.

14. decibel

decibel TDPRI Member

Great, thank you.

15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I REALLY like the sound Frissel gets on his Telecaster with that Mastery Bridge....but it sure is pricey....$155 to over $200. But I also don't like the "rattle-y" sound of many stock bridges. I'll have to consider this one.

16. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon TDPRI Member

A TK Smith C.A.R. neck pickup and a Seymour Duncan Little ’59 bridge pickup; Gibson-scale length neck (done by JW Black); Mastery bridge and body artwork by Terry Turrell. On the Fretboard Journal videos he’s playing through a Strymon Flint into a Gibson GA-50T.

TexasFrets likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.