What pickup really knocked your socks off?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by pi, Sep 10, 2021.

1. 4Teles

4Teles Tele-Meister

Love the Seymour Duncan ‘53 tapped bridge in my Esquire. Gives me a choice of a beautifully open twang tapped to 6k or a fuller & fatter, slightly darker sound with more compression using the full 10.5k wind.

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Brad Paisley's bridge pickup .

3. Edgebound

Edgebound TDPRI Member

In the mid 90’s I bought a MIJ Tele Custom - I was going through a string breaking phase and needed a spare, and being lefty there wasn’t a lot of choice locally. It was OK, but remained a backup. Perusing eBay a couple of years later, I came across an original set of CS Nocasters, bought and fitted them - Wow! At the next gig, I plugged it in after a string break, played a cowboy A, and the other guitarists jaw just dropped!
    I have to say though Fender changed the spec on them, and the later CS Nocasters didn’t sound the same. They may be closer to original but nothing the same.

4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

The fender nocasters. Actually I try to find a guitarcto install them. Hopefully it will be a Vintera with a bigsby. Wish me luck.

5. Andy ZZ

Andy ZZ Tele-Meister

Bardens. Yummm.

6. reiniday

reiniday TDPRI Member

SD Secret Agent

7. Spooky88

Spooky88 Tele-Meister

I’m an EMG homer. I notice variances of less than 3 cents off 440 hz. So using standard pickups drive me insane as the magnets affect the tuning. EMGs don’t do that. My favorite are the tele x pickups (modded).

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. Lou Tencodpees

Lou Tencodpees TDPRI Member

Not necessarily blown off, but an unusual pairing made my socks roll up and down a bit. My Warmoth thinline I paired a Kent Armstrong Stealth 90 in the neck and a GFS Lil Puncher in the bridge and it works really well. I've tried some GFS pickups before in an Agile Cool Cat (Liverpools?) and found them very "meh" so wasn't expecting anything extraordinary. I keep looking for reasons to pair up a Lollar P90 and Barden in this guitar, but every time I plug it in I'm reminded why I shouldn't.

9. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

klein jazzcats

10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I watched several of your company's videos and they were fantastic sounding!

11. That Cal Webway

That's a good point about string pull of traditional magnets!

12. That Cal Webway

Fralin Split Blade Hot.

Great sounding, and certainly not "hot,"
    jus a tad more oomph.

Oh, and noiseless.

13. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Totally unexpected, but I'd say it's the inexpensive stock Tex Mex neck pickup that came in my 2016 50s Road Worn Telecaster. It's a great soloing pickup being slightly hotter than vintage, and more mid focused. Cleans up beautifully and is also great with added gain. I have tried 5 different well regarded and more expensive pickups in that spot, thinking there must be something even better, but I haven't found it. The Tex Mex stays.

I liked the stock bridge Tex Mex as well, but found it a bit harsh in the upper register. I ended up replacing it with a Cavalier Fat Lion. The Fat Lion is perfect in that guitar and pairs great with the Tex Mex neck pickup too. I haven't had a desire to change either pickup in that Tele since.

14. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Ibanez Super 70's
    Ibanez SUper 80's
    Ibanez Super 58's The old ones. Not the new versions (there are several)

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

SD JB.. a very early one. In my number 2 since the 80’s and its absolutely sings. Perfect solo pickup.

Kent Armstrong rails from ‘92 - grittier and more fun than the SD rails. In my number one.

but the absolute best I ever owned and played was a 70’s Bill Lawrence L90 humbucker size dual blade that was a total blast in a strat.

+1 on the old Ibanez Super 58s from the 80’s. Perfect tone.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Basic Gibson P90..I don't think they have
    changed the formula in years..

Broadmoor74 and Guitarteach like this.
  17. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cavalier Lion King neck. I've been really disappointed by the thin and weak neck pickups in a lot of the sets I've tried. The Lion King is is loud enough to hang with overwound bridges. It has perfect top end bite and clarity without sounding too Stratty. Hail to the Lion King!

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep... most any not-overwound P90 works for me too.

Dirtybluegene likes this.
  19. Golden Strat

Golden Strat TDPRI Member

Although I have many Fender and Gibson guitars my favorite pickup goes to the Gretsch Dynasonic (Dearmond Model 2000). It may not be the "best" but I love the twang and clank it provides (even more than Tele bridge) when played clean and the way it overdrives when called apon do do so.

[​IMG]
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Dirtybluegene likes this.
  20. JModz

JModz TDPRI Member

I had Kent Armstrong’s put into my 64 Hofner Galaxy and it changed everything. I still use lots of Kent Armstrong hand wound pickups. I have L,Fralin set on my Mario Martin S-Style (strat) which sound amazing but are $$$, I still love to put original Seymour Duncan Invader humbuckers with a cover in anything w a bridge it will fit in. I know it’s been said but the Lollar P-90’s are great. I’m waiting for a set Barefoot Pickups I bought to be put in something… we will see. It really depends, some guitars have great wood and builds and the pickups will matter less, it can also change a cheap guitar into sounding like a 3k custom!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.