1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pick are you using? Have you tried Gravity?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Aug 11, 2020.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dunlop Primetone large triangles. I've got some 1.4mm "grip" and 1.5mm smooth ones. To my ear, the slightly brighter 1.4 work better on my GP/GA sized guitar and 1.5 is used on the OM. But, that shape and density is where I'm comfortable for picking and strumming. Never got drawn into the really spendy picks, though a friend or 2 think I'm crazy to buy picks that even cost $5 for a 3-pack :).

https://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP513P1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

picboy.PNG

Loving these things lately

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I tried a bunch over the years, even tried some of the silver quarters as other have, always came back to Fender Heavies. About 6 months ago I came across a guy on FB out or Georgie that makes picks out of resin/wood or straight resin. They're 2mm thick and I love them. This was my first order (there was 2 more white ones). I ordered another 6 straight resin ones in red/blue and green/yellow.

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

EF5F3716-D3BA-4C19-A856-8B2CB1DA72C7.jpeg

These are my current go-to picks.
    They’re slightly bigger than regular Jazz III’s.
    My only complaint is that they are dang near impossible for me to see if I drop one.
    I know that’s a personal problem.
    I wish Dunlop made em’ in white or some loud color.
    Whine, whine, whine.

5. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

fender extra heavy 551s. they're the only thing that heavy i can find that will barely chirp. i'd like to find the d'andreas over here easily, but they're not as widely available or as cheap. i can tolerate the chirp on jazz iii's though when i want really snappy stuff. i have tried stuff in materials or shapes similar to the gravity pick, and while they make playing a breeze, they sound terrible and chirpy to me. i guess the OG d'andrea shapes and celluloid ain't broke and don't need fixing for me.

i usually bevel and polish the fenders with some sandpaper, the same as a blue chip would be asymmetrically. the amount of material you take off determines how bright or dark they'll sound. i prefer worn picks to new ones, i try to use the same one or two picks until i lose them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.