1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pick are you using? Have you tried Gravity?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Aug 11, 2020.

1. crb4726

crb4726 TDPRI Member

My preference is Star Picks .60mm (orange). For me they seem to fit all applications I use them for. 6 or 12 strings, acoustic and electric. My fingers get dry and the small serrated opening lets me feel the degree of holding pressure when playing.

Attached Files:

awasson likes this.
  2. Ricoblues

Ricoblues TDPRI Member

Normally Dunlop Derlin 500 1.5mm but also Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III 1.5mm or Chicken Picks Badazz III 2.0mm. But recently I prefer my fingers ...

3. johnnycnote

johnnycnote Tele-Meister

Can't bring myself to spend $35 on a pick, but I
    Can't see myself spending $35 on a pick, but I said the same thing about spending $2k on a guitar so...

P Thought likes this.
  4. pi

pi Tele-Meister

I recently went on a pick variety splurge. I got about 20 different picks of various materials and shapes.

The most expensive ones in this batch were Primetones (which are about $2 apeice). While I thought they were nice, they weren't worth the extra cost over ultex (they are basically ultex with some hand beveling anyway).

Based on this experience, I figure my upper bound on paying for a pick is the cost of an ultex (about $0.60 ea). Considering I am really happy even with tortex, I don't think I would benefit from a gravity or other high-end pick.

FWIW, my favorites of the batch were the ultex flow picks. Nice shape, nice material.

JamesAM likes this.
  5. beeflin

beeflin Tele-Meister

I use 0.88mm Dunlop grey nylon for all my electrics apart from my 24" Burns Sonic Model, which needs the black 1mm version. They last for years and I'm completely used to them so not only do I have no incentive to change, I already possess a lifetime supply which was as cheap as chips!

6. PA Woody

PA Woody Tele-Meister

I like the "stealth" .60mm by Cool Music. They have little rubber grip pads on them that let me grip them better. The pads don't last very long but when they're new they're great. About a buck apiece.
    But, truth be known, pick selection isn't going to help my playing.

7. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ultex, fingers, and now Blue Chip and fingers.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. Rick J

Rick J Tele-Holic

Regarding the pickup cutting device mentioned earlier by LGOberean - my daughter bought me one of these.

Superb little gadget -- what I have found is that it works very well on old credit cards or similar. Just need to smooth off the picking end with a nail file or somesuch, and there you have it - Money is nothing and you Picks are free!

9. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I prefer heavy picks in the 351 style, around 1.0. Dunlop Ultex, D'Andrea Plec, Dunlop Big Stubby, and Fender Heavy.

Maguchi likes this.
  10. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Dunlop Nylon Jazz iii, the red ones that are 1.38 mm thick. Great for both picking and strumming. But not the max grip ones. Can't seem to get comfortable with those.

11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

Shades of Billy Gibbons and his Mexican peso picks. If you look at the years, these are solid silver!

12. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]
    I collect plectrums, mostly handmade. Here’s a sample representing several different materials.
    Top to bottom, left to right:
    Ultem 2301, tortoise shell casein (think red dog), tagua nut, Torlon, kirinite, bearing-grade thermoplastic, faux ivory thermoplastic, Polysulfone, Ultem, Vespel (think blue chip), peek, juma, malachite, richlite. Third row is various acrylics and resins. Fourth row is UHMW-PE, probably my favorite. The surface feels like velvet to the touch, but the stuff is almost indestructible. Extremely low coefficient of friction.
    Just dances over the strings.

Skipdipper and DrPepper like this.
  13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I had noticed that the plastic credit/debit/gift cards come in different thicknesses. I have a bunch that I've punched, but these days I only use plastic picks on my guitar with the Nashville-tuning/high string set. Because the gauge of that set is so light, the HPL pics are a bit much.

And it does sound like you could use a Pick Punch, or Pick Cutter, or whatever the brand. I think the Pick Punch was the original. These contraptions sell for around $25, I think, so that's like the price of 3-5 Gravity picks, or $10 less than one Blue Chip.

14. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

I have loved Dava Control Picks for about 20 years now and buy them in bulk. I can't imagine life without them. Why? Because I am a rhythm/lead player and they are perfect for that.

Strum away in verses and then slide your thumb/fingers over the thinner part for lead breaks. Honest-to-goodness genius!

upload_2020-8-15_11-15-59.png

tah1962 likes this.
  15. Vondre

Vondre TDPRI Member

Been using a jazz III for awhile now, basically ever since I tried it. Makes it easier for me to articulate. Was using tortex before that. Never tried any boutique picks

16. Moudi1

Moudi1 TDPRI Member

Ive been using Fender teardrops for while now. Thin 'cause I usually hybrid pic. When I flat pic its with a light touch ala Bill Frisell. I use a med for Heavy Blues but always a fender teardrop. They're just right for me. No pic necessary when I play my D12 though. I'm in love with the natural feel and tone of this guitar. Is paying over $2 for 1 pick necessary to get desired effect and tone? I never even knew picks this expensive existed.....

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Herco gold ,Dunlop Ultex or Puretone.

18. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wegen when playing electric...
    20181202_193229.jpg
    When playing acoustic, genuine tortoise shell...
    20200815_112759.jpg

RJ

19. bob

bob TDPRI Member

912DE378-A557-450F-8425-A3CCD09E1EF2.jpeg

20. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

Classic Fender thins. No reason to change. Been using them for the last 50 years and they're about 20 cents each.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.