1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pick are you using? Have you tried Gravity?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Jipes

Jipes Tele-Meister

2. YellowBullet

YellowBullet Tele-Meister

Red small Jazz III’s. Hybrid picking....

3. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

Been using BlueChip's for years now, but also bone/horn/wood or what's available sometimes.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. dudeman

dudeman TDPRI Member

I am shocked only one person has mentioned Red Bear picks. They are my favorites. They are a simulated tortoise shell. Expensive for a pick though.
    I also use jazz iii picks as well. If I am playing somewhere I worry about losing my pick, the jazz 3s go.

P Thought likes this.
  5. sixa

sixa TDPRI Member

I really like the Dunlop John Petrucci Flow pick. It’s 2mm thick with rounded edges and the material creates a great tone. They don’t wear down and even though they seem smooth I don’t ever drop them like I do most other picks. The size is in between a Jazz 3 and a standard pick which is also nice. Once I started using a smaller pick it feels weird to play with a regular sized one.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/john-petrucci-flow-pick/

6. mikestrat1956

mikestrat1956 TDPRI Member

Red Bear Picks. Best I've ever used.

P Thought likes this.
  7. mikestrat1956

mikestrat1956 TDPRI Member

Just posted about Red Bear. THE BEST!

8. Gretschy

Gretschy TDPRI Member

I started with Fender mediums and then moved on to the Dunlop Gel picks, which I still use for electric. I drop them way less than other picks. I’ve just started using Dunlop Jazztones for acoustic and I really like them! Great Bluegrass tone!

9. ricnok

ricnok TDPRI Member

I too keep coming back to Fender Mediums, 351 shape. Recently I've been using very light gauge sandpaper to sharpen the tip. That also shaves a millimeter or two off each side but it works for me. The Fender 551 shape has a sharper tip but the top is a little too rounded for me.

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

The Gravity « big mini » I bought a few months ago has become my go-to pick. I like acrylic picks a lot, especially in 1,5 gauge: zero flex but thin enough to keep a good feel between the fingers.
    The Gravity I use is better finished than the few Vpicks I had bought, and its fluo colour is very convenient.
    After three or four months of daily use, I still cannot see any sign of wear on it. But I use flatwounds and have a soft touch.

11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

This Pointlesspick seems like a very interesting design: now I’ve got to try one!

blowtorch likes this.
  12. Jead

Jead TDPRI Member

Dava Jazz Grip - delrin for just about anything and really thin Herco's for 12 strings

Daddy Dom likes this.
  13. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

351 style Fender or Gibson thin.

14. javahut

javahut TDPRI Member

Blue Chip are also purportedly made to sound and feel like tortoise shell picks. All I know is once I tried one, nothing else plays as easily and sounds as warm and full with just the right amount of attack. They bounce off the strings perfectly and seem to last forever.

I use a pick and middle and ring fingers for picking most often.

I used to use Jazz III, and Tortex Jazz for years. You could play one set and already see a sharp edge developing on the Tortex. I've yet to wear out a Blue Chip. I've purchased 4 Blue Chip picks in my entire life. BC Jazz LG 35 and BC Jazz 60, and a back up for each in case I lost one or wore one out. I've never even opened the backup picks and taken them out the bag. They last forever, and if you pay that much for a pick... you tend to not lose track of it.

I used to try other picks, but none of them ever match the sound and feel of the Blue Chips. So there's really not much need for me in trying any others. The Blue Chip just feels like the perfect pick every time I pick it up. If you've never had the chance to play with one, and are at all looking for better pick, you owe it to yourself to try one. If you're into any kind of subtle differences in tone, my bet is you'll be surprised at the difference a pick can make.

15. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Clayton Eagle teardrops for electric. 1mm primarily but have a variety of thickness for different sounds

Dunlop Tortex in a variety of thickness' for acoustics. Thinner gives a chimier / zingier tones / heavier a meater/thicker tone.

Mostly fingers for bass but I use the Clayton's is I need a pick for a bass line

16. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

Cactus Picks, Light for Acoustic Heavy for Electric.

I found him about 12 years ago and he’s a guy like one of us who had an idea... Great picks with a lot of grip.

USA company

https://www.greatbigmusic.com/

17. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I love Gravity picks. I have a couple of the gold line, and dig their Thin pick, the .9 or 1.1.

DrPepper likes this.
  18. oregomike

oregomike Tele-Meister

I think whether or not a pick "wins" or loses is irrelevant if it doesn't work for YOU. The picks that are always in my wallet coin pouch are: Ultex .60-1.10, and Wegen's Fatone and Bluegrass picks. Wegan's are probably my favorite but are pricey and not SO good that I can't cover what I need to do from my Ultex picks.

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. PA Woody

PA Woody Tele-Meister

Plastic laminate comes in different thicknesses as well as some that are metal faced. I'm a contractor and I specialize in plastic laminate installation. With the scraps I have at the end of a job I would be able to make enough picks to last a lifetime. I need one of those cutters.

LGOberean likes this.
  20. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Holic

After posting the above post I started thinking about my “other 2 picks” that my wife got me as a gift a few years ago as a novelty.

BUT... I actually LOVE them playing electric guitar!

STONEWORKS

https://stoneworkspicks.com/

I have 2 and I dug them out after this post and played a bit with one... Nice.

Mike is a personable guy that enjoys visiting with ya.

Here are my Stone Picks and yes they seem to like Rock music :D

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.