1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pick are you using? Have you tried Gravity?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by DrPepper, Aug 11, 2020.

1. sirshackleton

sirshackleton TDPRI Member

Yup, another BlueChip devotee here...at least for acoustic. My TD50 is a 1.5 years old and still looks brand new, and I'm not particularly gentle with it. Nothing else feels right anymore.

I keep it cheap/simple with electric, though :)

Cali Dude and P Thought like this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah my one thing is I always keep the Blue Chip in the guitar case in a pick holder.

It is too expensive to throw in your wallet or something like that... I did lose 1 pick in my wallet, but found it in the yard. (I usually keep a cheap pick in my wallet just in case..)

I always keep my guitars cased and I keep picks that I like for that guitar in the case with the guitar... so as long as I always follow my system and the picks go back in the case with the guitar it's hard to lose them.

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Haven’t tried Gravity picks. I’ve been using these for a couple years now and they are perfect for me.

upload_2020-8-11_13-33-33.jpeg

Daddy Dom and Jead like this.
  4. greenhornet

greenhornet Tele-Meister

A few months ago I bought a V pick, the Fusion pick, and have found it very nice. I bought a few more, in case I lose the first. I also use an Adamas pick, the Dunlop Gator Grips, and a few of those Ernie Ball Ever Last picks.

What I like about the V Pick is I rarely drop it once I start playing, I don't know why, but I can get a good grip on it. And it sounds wonderful.

But thinking about ordering a Gravity Pick... To try them out...

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

Here's a man with choices...

6. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I've used many of both Gravity and V Picks. I love the materials and the feel and both have outstanding customer service. V Picks seems to last longer for me.

greenhornet likes this.
  7. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

greenhornet and P Thought like this.
  8. Buell

Buell Tele-Meister

I am 100% with you on this. I have an assortment that I paid nearly nothing for and typically just grab one. I did have a small affinity for some of the nylon ones but got past that. Now it's whatever is within reach.

ChickenKiller likes this.
  9. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I keep coming back to Tortex .68 or .73.

10. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

When my silver 1/2 dollar pick warms up between my thumb and forefinger, it produces an awesome tone.

11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've bought about every kind of "boutique" pick there is, and I've lost a grand total of two, both times when I lent them to some yahoo who doesn't keep track of stuff.

I have more than enough picks now to last me the rest of my life. I still buy a Red Bear now and then just for giggles; I guess they've become my favorite. They have a range of colors, thicknesses, and shapes, they're as close as you can get to real tortoise, and I like the mom and pop who run the place. I dig their logo, too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    EsquireBoy, greenhornet and DrPepper like this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My friend Harry swore by those, the thinnest ones they offered. I couldn't talk him into using anything else. Then he died.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I received a complimentary Gravity pic from a vendor and liked them enough to order them. They now occupy the same place in the pecking order as various Dunlop pics that I like just as much. I have some Fender Heavy pics I like too.
    It’s plastic, acrylic, polymer or some other material. It’s a pic.

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I like Dunlop's Nylon, .73 for solidbodies. I like Dunlop's 500 series thicker picks and the Primetone for flattops, also like Dunlop's 207 and D'Andrea Pro Plec's for flattops and archtops. I'll give Gravity's a try sometime. But, I've learned to work with about anything, including meat picks ;)

15. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I have a few Gravity picks that turn up around my office periodically that I got in a variety/sampler pack at one point. They are “fine”. The primetone and ultex see the heaviest rotation for me.

16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I still lose them all the time.

Been using Dunlop Tortex .73s for at least 10 years now.

17. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I love Dawg pics that I get from Elderly. Don’t really know what they are made of or the thickness. My ex-girlfriend left one and I’ve bought them ever since. Shape/thickness just works for me on everything.

18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I've talked about this before, but since you brought it up...

I make my own, have for years. I have a device called the "Pick Cutter," brand name Müzjig. It was a gift 4-5 years ago.

Before I got it, when I was still using store bought picks, I went through various changes finding what worked for me. Over the years, I went from medium picks (.73 mm) to .88 mm to 1 mm for both acoustic and electric playing. I still wanted something more, so I got a 1.20 mm pick (D"Addario/Planet Waves Duragrip), which I still use for one specific application. But really what I was looking for was to be found, not in thickness but in stiffness, which meant a different material.

Shortly after I began to employ my "Pick Cutter" contraption to personally punch out picks (How's that for alliteration?:rolleyes:), my wife was doing some remodel work at her business, and she brought home some of those 3" x 5" samplers of high pressure laminate countertop material. Turns out that material is just a hair under 1 mm thickness, and they are incredibly stiff. On a lark, I decided to see if my Pick Cutter could punch through that stuff, and sure enough, it worked.

And you can pick those samplers up from Lowe's or Home Depot for a 25¢ apiece. I've used two brands, Wilsonart and Formica, and I prefer the former. They are patterned and/or textured to look like wood or stone, and come in matte or gloss finish.

You can punch a dozen picks out of one 3x5 sample card. I probably have punched out a couple hundred picks now. And they last. Even if I just use one pick at home and at gigs until I've worn the point down, they last at least 2-3 months. At this rate, I already have enough to last me the rest of my life.

2020 - Muzjig Pick Cutter.png Personally Punched Picks.png Potential picks, laminate samplers - 1.jpg Potential picks, laminate samplers - 2.jpg

19. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think I've settled on Dunlop primetones and the green Tortex. I gave Hercos a try -- good grip like the primetones, but the nylon flexes too much for my style.

awasson likes this.
  20. Tark1

Tark1 TDPRI Member

The Gravity picks are OK. Very stiff. I have a 1.5mm. The trouble is that they have an interesting scratchy attack when new. But as they wear in that goes away and as the point wears down the attack becomes less immediate. I think my favourite picks are the brown BlueChip. Expensive but nothing sounds like them

Cali Dude and greenhornet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.