1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pedal(s) do you own that has inspired the most musical creativity ideas?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by EugeneWeemich, Dec 17, 2020.

1. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

For me, about pedal inspiration, it would be in the following order :

1 - Wah-Wah.
    2 - Overdrive.
    3 - Phasor and Tremolo.
    4 - Delay
    5 - Chorus

That said, I always play with the Reverb on, but as it is an amp built-in, I did not listed it.

And of course, it's more or less related to the tunes played in our band... :D

-tbln.

2. skradlee

skradlee Tele-Meister

It's funny, I could get rid of all my pedals except for the Keeley comp and a super cheap Joyo AC30 pedal. Those and just any random delay and I'm good for hours.

wannabeatle likes this.
  3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Any distortion or overdrive.

4pickupguy likes this.
  4. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Boss Phaser 3 has been inspiring new melodies and licks since I got it. Lots of sounds are packed into it and it can be subtle or over the top. You can really get a certain mood to the song going with a phaser from a little warble to growling swoosh.

5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

For years it was a stereo chorus, primarily an Ibanez, used as a Leslie substitute. I finally got myself a real rotator from motion sound and I really hate to turn it off. Not sure if that qualifies, strictly speaking, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.

6. 76standard

76standard TDPRI Member

Two that come to mind...DOD Phasor 201 and an BOSS CE-2 (made in Japan version). The Phasor is very versatile and simple to use. See YouTube reviews. The CE-2 is one of those pedals you will never remove from your pedal board, because it’s just that good. Don’t trust me, look at what is on touring or studio musicians boards.

EugeneWeemich likes this.
  7. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

not a pedal - per se - but my ADA rack mount digital delay from the 1980's was like a 2-second looper in sample & hold mode
    I worked out a lot of phrases and polyrhythms with that

8. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Ditto Looper

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't say pedals inspire my creativity or give me ideas, but my creative search for controlling my electric guitar sound has brought me to specific pedals that expanded my expressive range.

While a great fat singing clean sound is inspiring for one area, the other is legato sort of simulation of violin, sax, and maybe mini moog.
    Or really, pedals that make the guitar into a voice.

So not just "A Muff" and certainly not "The Big Muff", but rather a whole pile o' muffs which allow a few different distinct voices to come out of the amp.

The problem is that it's hard to go back to dirty sounds that fade away as is the nature of plucked strings as opposed to reeds and bowed strings.
    Oddly enough a clean guitar doesn't make me want to hear a cello or a tenor sax, but a dirty guitar in my hands makes me want that endless screaming legato wall of brian eno sound.

Some muffs can be very clear in the upper range and others are gritty from top to bottom.
    Good muffs can be set for huge bass or minimal bass, no eq limitations once you find the right circuits.

10. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Any delay.

wannabeatle likes this.
  11. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

EQD Hoof, is my latest favorite pedal. It is capable of fuzz, crunch, distortion, great leads and slide.

Sounds great boosted by compressor, Green Rhino MKII and stacks well into overdrives and Red Llama.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Holic

The Dark Side Pedal is really cool with a lot of creativity inspiring sounds!

20201205_235222.jpg

I would say for coming up with arrangements though, I use a Looper, Harmonist pedal and Octave pedal more than anything else.

20201112_123411.jpg

EugeneWeemich and joebloggs13 like this.
  13. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Like that Dark Side.

14. ChrisLarcombe

ChrisLarcombe Tele-Meister

HX Stomp. So many options! at least for me compared to before.

15. TeleMonkey

TeleMonkey TDPRI Member

I'd have to say my DigiTech tremolo has been the single greatest inspiration booster for me. Any good tremolo really. It does a lot of heavy lifting for expression, especially when playing rhythm stuff.

16. wannabeatle

wannabeatle TDPRI Member

EHX DMM
    Lots of song ideas started with noodling around on that magic box.

17. PrescottRX

PrescottRX TDPRI Member

Does the Roland GR-55 count?

18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i've got a pretty good pile of pedals and i like all of them for differing things, but the one pedal i never want to be without is the jhs morning glory. i'm really more a player who tends to clean, mostly. and that small bit of golden glitter the MG puts unto my strat into my deluxe is the sound i want. it doesn't spur to great creativity, it just makes me want to play.

it's strange to me that i read a lot unfavorable posts about that pedal, it seems perfect to me at what it does.

19. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I can't claim to be very experimental or creative. Most of my playing, and therefore pedals, are just trying to get to typical rock, country, alt-country, blues type of tones.

But in 2019 I picked up a cheap Donner Dynamic Wah envelope filter so I didn't need to lug my CryBaby around for the little I used it. Found out there's a lot more to an envelope filter than whacka whacka or faux Jerry Garcia. Liked that Donner so much I upgraded to a Love Pedal Rubber Chicken. I love all the places it can be used from subtle cocked-wah tones, to extreme tone swings to lots of stuff in between. I'm often looking for ways I can use it, clean & dirty, electric & acoustic.

I don't know if that makes me more creative. But it's one of the few pedals I keep trying to do new things with as compared to OD, distortion, delay or reverb where I get two to four settings and I'm done exploring.

20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The humble Donner Jet Convolution puts my guitar into an altered state of consciousness that begs to be treated differently. Following its lead brings out creativity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.