1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What pedal(s) do you own that has inspired the most musical creativity ideas?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by EugeneWeemich, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Couldn't agree more. It's the pedal that has saved me $100's over the years on delays/reverbs. Every time I think about buying a reverb or delay pedal, I'm reminded that the Zoom can do anything that pedal can do and then some. Dotted 8th note an any delay? Yep. Simultaneously tap tempo for 3-4 delay pedals? Yep. Analog, digital, reverse, lofi, tape, slapback, multihead? Yep.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I'm a man of simple needs.

upload_2020-12-18_17-52-20.png

3. Stiles

Stiles Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wampler Terraform. I have no idea why more people don’t own this modulation machine.

4. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

VFE Klein Bottle...any 3 ingredients or more, mix to your desired satisfaction, adjust to taste and voilà ... stew, witch's brew, ambient pancakes, frosting with sprinkles and etc.

ahiddentableau likes this.
  5. mjtrip001

mjtrip001 TDPRI Member

Looper. The ability to lay down a riff and jam over it is a lot of fun. This is after years of using no pedals at all. I usually plug right in for the natural tube od and add a bit of reverb and that's it.

Digital Larry and Tim S like this.
  6. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

A good delay pedal will open up many interesting and, creative sounds.

EugeneWeemich and mmannaxx like this.
  7. Fishin Musician

Fishin Musician TDPRI Member

Strymon Flint. The ambient reverb creates a wash of sound to solo over. Previously I used a TC Electronics T2, which is more flexible but overall not as good at doing what I want

EugeneWeemich and Jimmy Dean like this.
  8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Looper all the way

EugeneWeemich and Digital Larry like this.
  9. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

Sometimes late at night I sit in a dimly lit room and get really, really creative. The Earthquaker Afterneath and/or Danelectro Back Talk are perfect for this.

EugeneWeemich, jays0n and Old Smokey like this.
  10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

EHX Superego Plus

11. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

I dont own them anymore but a line 6 dl4 and digitech whammy pedal seemed to put me out there in the creative ether.

12. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

Tremolo for me. I've had an EHX Wiggler for years, and it has some cool features other than tremolo, but has gotten so noisy, I have been reluctant to use it, and I have a couple songs that it's a major component of. I've been lusting for a Strymon Flint, and the noisy Wiggler drove me to it. It arrived very quickly after ordering, and I've had one chance to mess with it and it happened to be in full band setting (socially distanced, natch) and it was amazing and silent with regard to noise. I'll probably play it for a few weeks and do a review if anybody is interested.

TeleMonkey and drneilmb like this.
  13. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

Neo MiniVent. No knobs to mess with, and I love the Leslie-like sound.
    [​IMG]

4pickupguy and Old Smokey like this.
  14. drneilmb

drneilmb Tele-Meister

It feels like cheating, but Zoom G1FOUR multi-effects. Drum patterns, synced looper, headphones, I'll see you in 45 minutes of E Mixolydian.

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like to think about the music of places

7311138A-2958-4907-A367-DE48D0E1E7CE.jpeg

so, definitely this

wrathfuldeity likes this.
  16. Thorne

Thorne TDPRI Member

AdrenaLinn 2. Absolutely everything sounds musical through it, but nothing like any other pedal. The built in drum box is incredibly useful too. I first heard about these in an interview with Steve Rothery from Marillion and knew I had to have one.

17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

None of my gear has really inspired much in the way of creativity, because the creative parts tend to happen in the absence of most of them.

They are just tools to realize something, at least for me.

Possibly the singular exception was using a scratchbuilt Jordan Bosstone-like fuzz that I had modified, because it got faux horn sounds. Because of that, there was a brief period when I was trying to come up with horn-like riffs. Ultimately, it was short-lived, because I ended up trying to ape horn or horn-ish riffs from existing songs, like Ring of Fire or Low Rider. So no creativity required, and I (literally) had my hands full simply trying to alter my technique as needed (very soft pick attack, very specific vibrato, only single notes)...

...I played trumpet briefly as a kid, so you'd think that might have helped. Since the mechanical means to produce similar sounds was different, it didn't help at all.

One thing I can say - I'd used a Roland guitar synth in a music store once, and did spend some time twiddling around with horn patches. I didn't care for that at all (I might as well have been playing a Roland keyboard, IMO). OTOH, there was 'something simply musical' with the faux horn sounds from the modified fuzz. It's this sort of vocal quality, and the right harmonics and frequencies being reproduced, or at least IMO it is in terms of what a lot of guitarists would probably find to be appealing.

Edited to add - I've been listening to a lot of Miles Davis lately. I should try to follow along with my faux horn fuzz. Maybe I'll be inspired to do my own Miles'ish tangent, with it ultimately not sounding much like anything Miles actually did. I could actually imagine a much more accomplished musician building their own signature sound and compositions in a method like this. Allan Holdsworth and Oz Noy come to mind.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    Iago likes this.
  18. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

My most recent trip was on a Roger Mayer Voodoo-Vibe.

19. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

Earthquaker Afterneath for me. I am looking for a simple Auto Swell to go with it, like a less expensive Slow Gear, but now I am using the volume knob to make swells with this pedal on and I never tried things like that before this pedal.

20. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Looper.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.