What pedal has been on your board the longest?

BrianK

TDPRI Member
A 90s pedal from Japan, the Texas Tornado by Crews Maniac Sound. It's actually the only pedal I use, with an occasional echo or something added for special effects. It's a cross between a tube amp and a fuzz, with some amazing characteristics. Dumble borrowed mine for 6 years, and said it was the best pedal he'd ever heard. I have three of them now as they're kind of rare and I'm afraid to be without it. I gave one to AnalogMan so he has one of my old ones in return for making a clone of it in a modern sturdy package.

Caevan O'Sh!te

TDPRI Member
My beloved Foxrox Octron- the original version, a gift from a very good friend!- has the greatest longevity among my stomps. KILLS stacked into an overdriven/distorted tube-amp, or a good distortion or overdrive pedal. Octave-Up Fuzz (think optimized/upgraded fOXX Tone Machine; can also do great Octavia sounds), Octave-Down Fuzz (classic Mu-Tron Octave Divider), and an active Direct/'clean-blend', all in one. Great for guitar or bass (or keyboards, whatever), and can be run on up to 18v to get the most out of its Direct blend, especially for basses with active pickups. Extremely, surprisingly versatile! I've even used it for Jazzy fat-bottomed, CLEAN fingerstyle chord/melody/bass-line stuff with Direct fairly high, Octave-Down Fuzz blended in subtly, and Octave-Up Fuzz all the way off. Careful fingerstyle playing is rewarded with very consistent tracking of either Octave Up or Down over a VERY wide range up and down and across the fretboard.

Octron SV2 Plexitube Fuchs Lucky 7.jpg

EHX Big Muff Pi. Bought in '78 from Sam Ash in NYC. I don't have a board, just a long line of (mostly cheap or homemade) pedals lined up on the floor. I'm constantly swapping pedals (and multi-effects) in & out, or changing the order, but the Muff, though not used often, has stood the test of time... it was my very first pedal.

View attachment 804255

O0O0O0O0H, NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.... !! :cool:💖✨ Is that a V4 "IC"/"Op-Amp" Big Muff Pi? I had one, a V4 or V5 (it's been a L0O0ONG time), back when you could still even find them new in stores, I believe it was a '79 or so...

Toss up between a a Red Llama II (the red one) and a Boss RT-20. The RT is heavy and bulky but I love it.

I've got a Way Huge Purple Platypus, which is basically a Red Llama driven crazy and rabid by an octave-drive, they call it Octidrive circuit. Octave overdrive? Octave fuzz? Iddunno, six o' one, half a dozen of 'nother...

I also have a Boss RT-20, and it's gotten A LOT of use! I used that to fake keyboard sounds on my guitar with a band I was in, along with my Octron Octave Fuzz (Up AND Down, see above), and my Sustainiac Model C (a mad scientist gizmo that induces actual physical, acoustic feedback into the guitar by vibrating it) for endless sustain and harmonic-overtones.

I'd have to spend a chunk of cash to get an appreciably better Leslie-sim pedal to replace it, such as the Neo Ventilator II. Gary Moore used an RT-20 for his performance of Hendrix' "Angel", during his Blues for Jimi concert event and video, and it sounded like a real-live Leslie cab! Good enough for Gary Moore making a tribute to Jimi Hendrix, good enough for anyone... It's "U Vibe

Now, even if I got a Neo Vent II, I'd still keep the RT-20 around; for one thing, its "UNI-V" Uni-Vibe model is good enough that it made me want a real photo-cell Uni-Vibe.

But even more so, when the RT-20's Brake is engaged (stopping the rotary motion/sweep), blending the Effect and Direct levels with Direct set higher, strange resonant sounds like being in a large pipe- or a chimney, as it were- can be found. I can dial-in an effect very reminiscent of the "amp in the fireplace, mics hung down the chimney" sound heard on Jimmy Page's rhythm guitar throughout Led Zeppelin's "Houses of the Holy" from the Physical Graffiti album, particularly emphasized on the rhythm guitar behind the solo at about 3:17. Be sure to try THAT with your RT-20!

Last edited:

danielpsmart

TDPRI Member
I've had a Truetone Angry Fuzz on my pedalboard for years! It covers a lot of ground due to the fact that the octave is not just on or off but variable. Every time that I see one pop up for sale, I contemplate buying another one to keep as a backup.

1652982522077.png

BlueGillGreg

Tele-Meister
Not the one you think is the best. Not the one that defines your tone. Just the one that is always there, or gets replaced only to be put back a few months down the road? I’ll just hold off and answer later.
DOD FX-17 Volume/Wah. 32 Years so far, most of that as the only pedal, and not on a board.

76standard

Tele-Meister
Not the one you think is the best. Not the one that defines your tone. Just the one that is always there, or gets replaced only to be put back a few months down the road? I’ll just hold off and answer later.
Menatone Red Snapper. I have the four knob version that I purchased in 2007. The other one is my vintage BOSS CE-2 chorus. Nice warm analog tone.

Attachments

• red snapper.jpg
    red snapper.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CE-2.jpg
    CE-2.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 9

Old Smokey

Tele-Meister
I haven’t been into pedals for that long, but I still have and use my 2nd ever pedal, which is a Union Tube & Transistor “More” (boost).

Leonardocoate

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Zoom MS-50G......The swiss army knife of pedals...this pedal clones many that are mention on this post and they sound very good to me. The reverbs, delays, compressors, noise gate, detuners work very well. When I buy the actual pedal i usually end up taking it back. The ODs are pretty good as well (I love the Centaur). I got it when they first came out. My thinking was it would teach me about all the different pedals and of course it did. I have tried many others, but just not enough difference, so I keep using it while flirting with others. Even the other Zoom pedals don't stack up...they do not sound as good...I have 3 now (one for Bass).....They also have a tuner

Cdngtrplyr

TDPRI Member
The (Dunlop) Crybaby, I got it in 1982 and has been with me ever since. 1) It has been around longer than any pedalboard I've owned 2) I have done so many mods to it that it is irreplaceable.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
DSC03138.JPG

Bar none my Boss TU-3 which I have owned for over 15 years already. There was a time that my pedal board was all Boss but I became tired of that sound and thus began to look elsewhere but I always kept the TU-3

As for the one crucial to my tone, that eighties Ibanez stereo chorus is special, I simply wouldn't know what I'd do without it.