1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Pedal for Swampy Trem (Lucinda Williams)

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Hoodster, Aug 31, 2020.

1. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

I put a reply further down but I'll try and put the link right here

2. Edgar Allan Presley

Edgar Allan Presley Friend of Leo's

I'm a big fan of my first-gen Fulltone Supa Trem. I can adjust it around while I play because of the big radio knobs and three buttons. It sounds great. I've had several trem pedals (Dano Tuna Melt, Boss, EHX Pulsar, Lovepedal Babyface, EQD Hummingbird) and liked all of them, and the Fulltone is the best I've had. Pretty much all trem pedals sound good, so just get one and play.

3. d-rock

d-rock Tele-Meister

Most tremolo pedals will work, agreed that it's all in the settings and player's feel.

I love the Boss TR-2 because of the wave knob. I set it at about 9-10 o'clock to smooth out the trem and get more swampy.

KW1977 and MilwMark like this.
  4. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I have two Supa Trem pedals, I thought I lost my first one and ordered another and then found the one I thought I lost before new one arrived, so I've never used the new one. But I don't know anything about pedals but I do love tremolo

5. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

How about placement?
    Before or after "dirt"?

I'm going to try both after I reply, but curious.

6. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

The Red Witch Eve i just got is a beautiful sounding trem. Its fairly mild and very musical, on the other hand i have a EQD Hummingbird and it ain't subtle at all.

KW1977 likes this.
  7. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Can't tell one brand or type from another. Tried many. I've stuck with my current one for years because it's quiet, it's easy to use, and it doesn't change the sound of the amp and guitar:

Demeter Tremulator

KW1977 likes this.
  8. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

There was a thread about trem placement a while back. If memory serves, a lot of folks here were using trem before dirt for swampy stuff. Definitely worth checking out, IMO.

9. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Lucinda definitely knows how to pick em.

I own a Subdecay Vagabond and it’s the best trem pedal purchase I’ve ever made. Harmonic & Bias via toggle, level as well as rate/depth, plus it has an envelope control where the speed varies according to your pick attack. A lot like the Greenhouse Drifter someone mentioned earlier. Haven’t heard a bad word about either. Certainly more space efficient than a Supa Trem, though I’d never slag that one off. Honestly to me,...I like the sound of tremolo so much overall that even the cheapest ones are still fun. On a budget I’d rock a TR-2 any day, and I’ve heard good things about the Joyo Yellow trem as well.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    rjtwangs likes this.
  10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks for all the responses. I just bought the newish Fender Tri-Verb, largely on the recommendation of Eric Haugen. He does the verb side first and then the trem at 12:56.

11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

After everything. That way you get the most dramatic swell.

12. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Typo - Fender TRE VERB.

13. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Meister

There's also parallel if you have the means like a small mixing board or whatever. I think Eddie changed over his sound to parallel when they started doing the "come on baby finish what you started" Van Halen stuff. I've got all kinds of dirt pedals and whenever I can I stick one before and after circuits, but I just got a little used Behringer xenyx 1202 mixer and I'm just starting to experiment with effects mixed in parallel I think it is... All those stacking effects in there I guess is going to be in series... This is either going to lead to a headache or a lot of fun, probably a little Kentucky bourbon on the way... 16001426714118545290596860631857.jpg

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

In case anyone is interested, I have confirmed that the type of trem I was looking for is BIAS.

The Fender Tre-Verb has three types of trem: Opto, Bias, and Harmonic. They all sound great but the bias is definitely the smoothest and swampiest to my ears and sounds like what you would hear from John Fogerty or any of Lucinda‘s guitarists.

I am not a big fan of choppy or fluttery trem that sounds like your amp is underwater or makes you feel borderline nauseous.

15. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

16. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

Hoodster, go ahead and try the trem pedal in front of a mild OD for max swamp. Set the OD so the loudest part of the wave just starts to cause it to break up a bit. Not too much or you lose some of the definition of the volume swell.
    I have a little '60s Canadian built amp - basically a Supro S6616 circuit - and the tube in the tremolo circuit was set up a little hot, resulting in a slight break up as the wave hit the loudest point in its cycle. It is the absolute coolest sound as far as tremolo goes. I've been trying to recreate this thru pedals - the above recipe seems to work.

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The Supro Tremolo is nice and swampy:

[​IMG]

But it's also expensive.

18. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

It has been interesting trying different ODs before and after my tremolo pedal. Some that seemed "roughly equivalent" without tremolo have different characteristics emphasized by the tremolo.

19. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.