what pedal could do this?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ndcaster, Oct 20, 2019.

1. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm pretty ignorant about bass pedals. Is there a synth or filter pedal for bass that could get close to the bass synth sound here?

2. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

If I were to guess I'd say a bass synth is being used there. Roland still sells its GK-3b divided pickup needed but no longer produce its bass only synth units. There were a few different ones if not mistaken. V Bass VB-99 and such. Today they just run them into the guitar based GR units. Although I think I remember reading that not all functions work with bass. I'm sure others will chime in with other options but that's what I'm familiar with. Run the GR-55 along with a few synth guitars.

3. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

I listened on my phone and couldn’t really hear much it kind of just sounded normal to me but I might have missed it.

I would say something subtle like an envelope filter like a qtron or something like that. Maybe a compressor to have things smooth, round, and even ?

4. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Sounded like a quality PBass to me. I have a PBass I built that I was having a hard time getting it to not sound like this until I realized that this is how a PBass sounds. I use DiMarzio split P pickups in my PBasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

An EQ unit - pedal or rackmount - that has 10 or more bands could get you started, but I'm not sure you'd get over the finish line.

To me, that bass line sounds very programmed and the tone sculpted specifically for that song. Even performing it live, there's only Ghali and a DJ on stage.

I agree with @jimilee that it has some serious P-Bass mojo going on, so if you plan on chasing that tone in the real world that's a good instrument to start with, and adding a more advanced EQ unit will help shape the tone.

6. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

An EQ is gonna get you some of the way there, and yeah I agree with Jimi, it’s a p-bass sound. A little compression might help.

there is a nice vowely decay to the notes that might be a pedal, but
    honestly I think it comes down to playing technique.

Back of the tone a bit and experiment playing finger style different locations between close to the bridge and the edge of the fretboard. If you mess around you can get a HUGE variety of sounds just by moving where your picking hand is striking the strings.

there’s some good YouTube vids about making a bass sound synth like just using playing technique.

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

P Bass, tone rolled to nothing. Flat wounds and maybe even a fretless board.
    EQ with the low end 50-100HZ boosted but the mid range and high end flattened out.
    Compressor with sustain dialed down and the sound compressed a little get that blip sound.

And be really light on the fingers and don't let any note ring.

Digital Larry likes this.
  8. ndcaster

you guys are the best

9. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. The DJ controller and the sound of the instruments does give indication the entire production was most likely created with a sythn and/or modules. Like this guys demo (2:30 of vid).

10. ndcaster

agreed, but I need to do it live with a band and just get close

I'm tempted to just loop it, but where's the fun in that

11. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Ah, then down goes the tone control knob on your bass. :)

I think I could get close with my Yamaha TRBX 504 with the eq control (solid budget bass). It has nice versatility with tone control.

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

ALL the way down!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.