What pedal board to purchase?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jpjr50, Jan 19, 2016.

1. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

I built mine out of mahogany. Cost me less than 2000 PHP (42 USD)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Dude, that's exactly what I want. I will give double for an unfinished pedal board. I want to stain it myself to the color of my floor.

What is that thing on the side?

3. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

You meant the I/O locking jacks? Those are just dummies. When I wired it up in my chain there was a significant tone loss (even with a buffer in front) so I decided to make it a dummy to mask the holes.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I know the cool kids often turn their noses up at it because 1) it's BOSS, 2) it's kinda clunky/not cool-looking, 3) no power isolation, etc., etc., but this is a great solution for 95% of the players out there. I truly like mine better than I thought I would.

Scott

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

On that note, take a good look at EHX's HumDebugger to truly get rid of hum. Gates don't stop hum...when you start playing it's still there. :mad:

Scott

6. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

^^ +1 For the HumDebugger. The other problem with noise gates is the delay that occurs when the gate opens and closes. Since the HD is constantly active that doesn't occur.

7. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Here's my homemade board:
    [​IMG]

And the I/O that do really work. Solderless, very handy.
    [​IMG]

Mine is 1" on the low-side, up to 3 1/2" on the backside, so it could house a power supply.

But I've "upgraded" to the Pedaltrain Novo 18. As someone mentioned, the homemade boards tend to be quite heavy (mine's made of MDF), and the PT Novo is quite a bit lighter. And the cords can be routed underneath, giving it a bit cleaner look.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  8. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Yes, the buzz is there when I start. See my other thread where people are suggesting things to do.

I know hum will always be there but my house is very weird. It seems it interferes with everything.

Really appreciate all the pedal board replies. Maybe I should have asked for everyone to post pictures of their pedal boards just to get ideas.

I like the homemade one above.

9. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I mostly use a Pedaltrain Nano which holds four comfortably, although I've squeezed together as many as seven. They started making a Nano Plus which holds about 5-6. The Nano is 50 bucks with a nice protective bag that has straps to attach to a gigbag or whatever else is convenient.

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you daisy-chaining your pedals for power? Some digital pedals don't like to be daisy-chained. If you are and you isolate the Flashback, the hum may go away.

I'll also buck the trend and suggest that you get a Wal-Mart black non-slip floor mat for now. Take a piece of velcro along and make sure it sticks.

You are at the start of a journey. You will probably have several configurations and reconfigurations before you are even close to "done" (which itself is often just a grand slowing down, really).

Tearing your carefully-wired, incredibly nice board apart each time gets very, very frustrating. And expensive, when you realize that carefully-selected board no longer fits your pedals, or forces them to put you in a different order than you prefer, or to put one sideways or something crazy.

The mat actually looks pretty neat, as it hides black power cables and black patch cables pretty well. Honestly it looks very much like the top (velcro) surface of most expensive boards. It is cheap and can be thrown out and replaced easily, and you can take a scissors to it and cut it to just the right size for your current stable, if you prefer.

Just a thought. Based on some painful experience.

11. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I use a Pedal Pad board with the Pedal Power unit.
    Best, most rugged, easy to maintain pedal board I've had in 40+ years of playing.

12. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Got a PT Junior which is ok.
    Point is make it BIGGER than you think!

Also, if your Bro can custom build one, make it 1 Pedal Deep x 12 or more Pedals Wide.
    So much easier to have everything on the front row..... less dancing around.

Ok - Eddie.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Building your own board is the way to go for me.
    A couple of 1x6's and a few screws, and WaLa!
    This board cost me Zero Dollars. Scrap lumber and about an hour of my time.
    This one in the pic is the third one I've built in the past 3 years. My design keeps evolving...
    The only $ I spent on it was about 12 bucks for a box of industrial strength Velcro, from Amazon. I even make my own patch cables, but that's a whole nother thread...
    [​IMG]

I got an old hard sided suitcase (Samsonite! $5) from a thrift store, some foam for padding, then built the board to fit the suitcase. The suitcase also turned out to be an excellent place to display all those cool music and alcohol and Grateful Dead stickers that had been gathering dust in a drawer for so long....
    Oh, BTW, there's a power brick underneath of there.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  14. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

Dude! That is Really nice! How do you transport it?

15. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

BBE Supa Charger
    Pedaltrain Jr
    Mono M80 (after Pedaltrain bag wore out)

Factoring in those costs, my pedals cost more than the guitar and amp I play combined.
    [​IMG]

16. cacophony

cacophony Tele-Meister

Aside from the handles on both sides, I'm planning two options:
    1) Put two rollers and a handle underneath the board, or
    2) Make a custom padded bag

Currently I prefer the former but that would leave the board susceptible to dust and external forces :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Yep, I've made homemade ones and had a PTjr but my Nano is the go to board, 4 pedals is about all I need these days and it's so light

18. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

I have this cheapo aluminium case from harbor freight tools about 17x13 inside and cut a plank of wood to PT Jr size and that serves as my second board since the PT nano doesn't hold a wah. I put a bunch of Velcro down so it's the board I experiment with, while my Pt Nano is the reliable grab and go, doesn't change much although right now I only have three pedals spaced out on it.

19. TheNewSteveH

TheNewSteveH Tele-Holic

I agree 100%. The commercial ones are not always made from great materials (sawdust held together with glue), and they are often too big or too small. They may also be too high or too low.

I made a couple of pedalboards recently. With a table saw or bandsaw, a hand plane to round the edges, some Titebond III, some truck bed paint, and velcro tape, it takes like an hour, not including time for the glue and paint to set up. Costs almost nothing.

Attached Files:

20. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I'm not transporting, only needing a pedal board for my OCD. I can't stand wires everywhere.

I just bought another pedal today, MXR Chorus so now I'm up to 5 total. I still need a tuner and Flanger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.