What other guitar would you take to jam with a guy with a tele?

somebodyelseuk

Tele-Holic
It depends on the context of the meeting.
If I were visiting an old mate for a noodle, maybe record something, general shooting the breeze, at his home, I'd take something interesting/out of the ordinary that he doesn't have, such as a Danelectro, Jaguar or Gretsch.
If it was an 'in public, down the pub' situation, I'd be torn between something out of place - like a Flying V to play country - and my old faithful gigging guitar, or just playing safe and taking a Strat.
I don't own a V, by the way. I don't own a Les Paul Junior, either, but if I did, the Junior would be my jam guitar.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
It doesnt really matter as long as both guitar players know what they are doing. The key is to listen to each other and complement each other musically.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
So I'm going to meet up with an old friend and play some guitar/sing some songs. He has an American tele and blues deville. If you were going to play songs and sing through a small PA which guitar would you take to play with him? another tele? a strat? a jazzmaster? a tele with humbuckers? I think I may be overthinking it and will just take another tele :) (I will take an acoustic too)
In my opinion it doesn't really matter. It's all about chemistry. It's very dependant on what you're going to play. Talk to him or her about what the end goal is. Go from there.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
I think 2 Teles is fine. As others have said, pay attention to what each other are doing, and complement. Perhaps be on different pickups? I'd maybe take a 335. But I like all the suggestions above, including the humorous ones! Basically, I'd take a guitar or two.

derekwarner

Tele-Meister
Possibly all valid suggestions, but how about you think of some vocals that you both liked from the memory bank, get a 6 pack of beers ....take your current guitar & see how it goes

Derek

[I remember sitting in the footpath gutter 50 years ago with an old mate, playing & singing Shadows songs]

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
It would be flat out rude to bring another Tele. Like going to a dinner party and bringing the same dessert somebody else brings after that person told you what they were bringing. Rude and low class.

Of course, you bring the opposite of a Tele. Hollow body, something with humbuckers or P-90s.

Just look at Pearl Jam live. The two guitarist, Stone and Mike, usually play complimentary guitars, not the same. Mike will be playing a Strat, Stone will play a Les Paul. Mike breaks out a Gretsch for a song, Stone goes for a Tele.... That band has a great guitar sound because of that. Fenders and Gibsons on the same song really does work well together.

1stpitch

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Bring a HH Tele.

1649346261631.png

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
A Tele can play rhythm or lead. So can a LP but LP players never want to play rhythm. That your buddy has a Tele leaves it pretty much open. I don’t think a Strat and Tele differ enough unless you use position 2 for lead. What kind of music will you play? That may be the best guide to what you bring.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
As others have said - something with some contrast to the Tele, like a Les Paul or something else meaty-sounding.

It can create some very cool rhythmic interplay.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I appreciate all the advice- I might take a jazzmaster or a homemade tele with Gibson humbuckers- but I will most likely take a vintera green 50's strat just because he's got a high school son who might like to play that

scottser

Friend of Leo's
If not an acoustic then something with a p90, hollow or solid doesn't matter. Me, I'd take my dc junior copy.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
Depending on the music you want to play, you can do fine with an acoustic, another tele or another guitar.

Sounds too generic but it's a fact that if the players know what they're doing, the job will be done properly, whatever the guitars involved.

Enjoy!