What on earth is this noise?

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Can anyone please help me identify the source of this interference I'm getting in? I'm inclined to think it's digital interference, but even when my phone or other devices that would be a source of such a thing aren't near I get it just as strong coming through my amp. It happens without a guitar plugged in as well.

I live in an apartment complex so I'm certain it's probably coming from another unit and whatever it is, is passing right through my amp on the way. But, as you can hear in the linked sound sample, it's extremely disruptive. This was the first time I was able to get a good recording, as it usually happens sporadically (and mostly only later at night). It usually only lasts a few seconds too, which makes it hard to pull the phone out in time to record.

Any help y'all can give in helping me minimize this sound or at least just helping me understand what it is would be great.

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
Certainly sounds like a mobile phone, that's the noise mine makes. Sits on the arm of the sofa all day then suddenly I have to move it. Sometimes it's the guitar pickup picks it up, sometimes the guitar to amp lead. I'm surprised that the lead is so vulnerable.

Doug

birdawesome

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Certainly sounds like a mobile phone, that's the noise mine makes. Sits on the arm of the sofa all day then suddenly I have to move it. Sometimes it's the guitar pickup picks it up, sometimes the guitar to amp lead. I'm surprised that the lead is so vulnerable.

Doug
Thanks for the reply. I’ll see if there’s anything I can do to remedy the situation a bit, but i fear there’s not much I can do being in a less than ideal environment right now.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
You could try one of the noise filters available for guitar. I have found them less than effective on major noise issues, but might work for that.
The other thing is to try turning off anything that is suspect: mobile phone, flourescent lights, any fans or dimmers, battery charging units, whole house fans, turn off the fridge for a minute.

I've played some old buildings that had that type of noise, it could be neon lights or a refrigeration unit that caused it when it turned on.