What (non-stock) speaker is in my 1972 Princeton Reverb? Should I spend/waste some money on a new one?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
The original Jensen & Oxford speakers for the PR were ribbed cone with ceramic mags. A smooth cone inhibits the great sparkle that makes that amp great.
Ah, okay. That's good to know.
What is weber referring to here, though when they say that O means original, and a smooth cone?
Maybe the tweed Jensen speakers of the 50s had smooth cones? Or were they Weber's original speakers that had smooth cones?

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
I personally wouldn't use a smooth cone speaker for a Fender PR. Too much loss of high end detail & too early breakup. Whatever speaker you decide to use, give it ample break-in time. Most folks expect a new speaker to sound great right out of the box. Doesn't always work out that way.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I bought this SF Princeton Reverb in 2015, and it's always been good. I modified it to BF specs a few years ago. The speaker sounds fine to me, and I'm sure it is fine:

View attachment 986690

SICa builds the modern Jensen’s…owns the name, iirc. They are an Italian firm.

View attachment 986692

As far as I can tell, I think I read somewhere that this Sica company used to make speakers for Mojotone (and also Jensen). So I think this might be a 10" Black Beauty (thus the BB), which I know little about.

Like I said, I like the speaker just fine. But I'm always into trying to get the most vintage-appropriate sound when I can. Weber is having a sale right now, so I'm considering buying a 10F150 (or maybe a 10F125?), just because I've always considered it. The goal would be to get something closer to what was in the amp originally, something closer to a vintage Jensen.

Does anyone know anything about the speaker I currently have? Would the Weber 10F150 or 10F125 be much different from it? Or would it just be a waste of money?

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
SICa builds the modern Jensen’s…owns the name, iirc. They are an Italian firm.

That might be true. But I'm still wondering what model this BB10G (Black Beauty?) speaker is, and how close it is to a vintage Jensen.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That might be true. But I'm still wondering what model this BB10G (Black Beauty?) speaker is, and how close it is to a vintage Jensen.

well, since SICA a has not been able to build a proper sonic reproduction of the classic Jensen speakers, one might deduce that this SICA labeled speaker will not do that vintage Jensen thing, either.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Cut to the chase. A great current speaker for the Princeton at an affordable price is the Emi GA10.

It's got a small magnet, paper voicecoil former and it's designed for it.

I have one in my '83 Superchamp and it's living very well despite the SC being rated 17 watts.

The SC is basically a Princeton preamp down to the cathodyne phase inverter, minus the tremolo and into a Deluxe output transformer.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yep. Ribbed for pleasure.

I think most of those I have seen were oxfords and some Jensens.

All good. You can find used ones also if you don't want new.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Ah, okay. That's good to know.
What is weber referring to here, though when they say that O means original, and a smooth cone?
Maybe the tweed Jensen speakers of the 50s had smooth cones? Or were they Weber's original speakers that had smooth cones?

A Weber O cone is supposed to be like early 50's Jensens. As people said, probably the wrong speaker cone for a PR.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
I'm a recent Eminence Alessandro convert

Same. That said, the Weber 10F150T is a very, very good speaker. These are easily my two favorite speakers for Princetons. The Weber is very, very loud and sounds amazing if you can really crank it up (and need maximum stage volume). The Emi SC64 is still respectable from an efficiency standpoint, but it doesn't sound like a 12" the way the Weber does. It makes up for this by having a lively response with a snappy attack that works especially well for thumb-and-finger techniques. Neither speaker is plagued by the ice-picky trebles of the Jensen reissues.

If you want something closer to what came in the amp originally, I'd look at the Warehouse Veteran 10. These are way up on my list of favorite current 10s, especially for a multi-speaker amp like a Super Reverb. For a Princeton, at 93.5db I found it wasn't nearly enough to gig with, but it's in the same ballpark volume-wise as the Oxford 10j4 and will get some very classic early 1970s speaker breakup without completely falling apart like an old worn-out Oxford will.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Neither speaker is plagued by the ice-picky trebles of the Jensen reissues.
I think Jensen act really stupid when they send bad sounding speakers to USA because it is huge market! :(

But then I like when they sell sweet sounding speakers here in Europe and possibly have to sell them cheaper as well than USA and Brit brands :)

itsGiusto

Tele-Afflicted
That is probably better than what came stock, probably an Oxford, I'd just leave it.
I guess when I say "what came stock", I mean what would have come stock in a blackface, since i blackfaced the amp. So wouldn't that have been a Jensen?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I smushed a Li'l Texas into my SF no-verb and I like it a lot, but I'd give that oddball speaker you've got a chance first--can't buy stuff like that off the shelf.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I guess when I say "what came stock", I mean what would have come stock in a blackface, since i blackfaced the amp. So wouldn't that have been a Jensen?

From “Dating Fender Amps…Article III”….
Princeton ReverbAA1164Oxford 10J4, 10L5; Jensen C10R, C10N

Wildeman

Tele-Holic
Iirc, the '65 I had had a Utah, pretty sure it was bone stock.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
I think Weber suggests the 10F150T… I am using that one and it is great on my 72 Princeton
I do run the Princeton at a bit lower wall voltage ~115… sounds better to my ears (using a variac)

And sorry, no experience with your current speaker

Iirc, the '65 I had had a Utah, pretty sure it was bone stock.
My all original vintage SF Princeton Reverb has a Fender blue label speaker

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My all original vintage SF Princeton Reverb has a Fender blue label speaker

That speaker will likely be an Oxford 10J4 or a CTS. The codes will be under that blue label. Some cam identify the speaker by looking at the frame. Late in the production run, one might find a Pyle.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'd get the Weber and have them break it in for you. I put Webers in 80% of the amps I build. Better version of original Jensens than those faux Jensens from Italy. Great for Fenders.