What Musical Equipment Have YOU Broken?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Otis Fine, Mar 22, 2019.

1. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I suppose I should mention that I was gifted two 60's hammond tonewheel organs- one all-tube, one just tube power-amp.

I literally smashed them into pieces small enough to put in my trash bin. I filled the bin half-full to save room for my own rubbish. It took four weeks for each of them.

I couldn't even give them away, IF I could have got them to work. My wife thought they were cool, but we didn't have room for one in our house.

I did keep the tubes, transformers, 8" speakers and reverb pans, though. And keys. I have boxes and boxes of keys!

Otis Fine likes this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I pulled a cable on my guitar at the end of a gig and just dropped it and it fractured the plastic window over the LCD on my Boss GT100

Otis Fine likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

These episodes come to mind:

— age 13 (c.1970), wailing on a borrowed Silvertone practice amp when I discovered feedback! Suddenly the speaker sounded flabby and gross. Tears. I was in trouble. But not really, my friend said "don't worry about it! Probably just the speaker." I had blown the speaker.

— around the same time, at practice with the first band I was in, plugged a Silvertone amp head, which had apparently been set to "Battery" power, into the AC wall socket and fired it up. Bad smell, then smoke...we run over to the amp to watch components melt. "wooooo!!"

— early '70s, I bumped the fretboard of my prized one-and-only electric, a Harmony Rocket, into a countertop, badly denting the 10th fret. Still playable but no bending at that fret. I was too ignorant to see any fix, or seek an expert, I just assumed it was too expensive to fix (I should have just swapped the dented fret with the highest fret). That was the first guitar I disassembled. I ended up giving the box o' parts to a friend whose brother fixed up old guitars. I still get sad about it... stupid me!!

— a few years later, foolishly dropped my wonderful Epiphone FT-147 in its case. Whan I got home, the headstock was snapped off. My dad repaired it with epoxy but over the years I broke it twice more (by being careless), the last time it was unrepairable. The headstock still hangs on a wall.

— a couple of years ago, was keeping my small but heavy custom amp head on a mic stand table thingie, and of course it eventually fell off and some of the pots were smashed in. My friend who made it said, "I planned to do some upgrades anyway, just bring it in." Whew!

Otis Fine likes this.
  4. tslantz

tslantz TDPRI Member

Yet another electronics one: I had a DigiTech RP7 that I really enjoyed. So much that I brought it with me, along with an Epiphone S series strat copy to live in Hong Kong for a year as a student about 14 years ago. It was going to be my entire rig for that year. I got a wall adaptor. Plugged it into the UK style outlet. Completely forgot about a transformer to drop the 220 volts. The lights on the unit flashed once for the last time.

I recently acquired a working but needs some pot cleaning and a preamp tube replacement RP7 off eBay recently that I haven't finished fixing up. But sometime soon I'll have it back again!

Otis Fine likes this.
  5. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I totally agree with that. i really think it's ok to trash a guitar you have bought with your own money, if it's crap then what use is it? i used to be in a band, and i swear i was only in a band to through my guitar around a little bit at the end! i love the sound of a dying guitar! it's music to my ears!

6. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I've torn up a few cables by stepping on them, but thankfully I've never broke a piece of gear.

Otis Fine likes this.
  7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

Back in the day, our organ player loaded a leslie half hanging out of the back of his car - we pleaded with him not to do it, but the gig was right in the city and he was willing to risk it.

The leslie stayed in the trunk but all the tubes fell out into the street. :eek:

Otis Fine likes this.
  8. jamz

jamz TDPRI Member

One or two but not intentionally.

Plugged a battery in the wrong way to an electric ukulele and cooked the electronics.

Placed a tele gently int it’s case, closed it, got distracted and didn’t zip it up, picked it up by he handle and it fell out and smashed onto the concrete floor. Works okay but the finish was well chipped off in a few places..

Took my very first string instrument, an Electra bass guitar, and defretted it- poorly- with pliers. Chewed up the fretboard pretty well. I still have it though.

Otis Fine likes this.
  9. Yuro

Yuro TDPRI Member

When I was much younger, I talked my parents into a new Fender blackface Pro Reverb. $399 but bought with 3 $100 bills by my dad. I wanted a Super Reverb but this was the best I could get for the 3 Benjamins.

Later, I just had to have JBLs for it. OMG. I loved they way they looked and read the catalog description of them over and over. I got 2 12" JBL's for Christmas one year. Long story about how I got all this good stuff at such an early age, but it happened.

Well, I, of course, had to install them myself on Christmas night. We had a work-bench in the basement. I was unpacking the second speaker and something slipped, the first one got knocked to the floor. It fell flat on the magnet. It was DOA and I had to wait another 2 months for the repair. I will never forget that moment.

When it finally came back I carefully (for a 14 year old) installed both of them. I nearly put a screwdriver through one of the cones, but escaped that fate.

The amp gained about 30 lbs. The sound became really spiky and LOUD. I would not admit that the thing sounded a lot better with the stock Jensens. I remember playing, with a full band...on "2".

I think the Stone's "Paint it Black" came out that year?

That amp is long gone. Wish I still had it. I know what to do with something like that now.

Otis Fine likes this.
  10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I've had a lot of amps but against all odds and expectations, one of my very favorites ever was a Vox Night Train, a little 15 watt lunchbox-style tube head that they made for a few years. Two EL84s, but a pretty different circuit than an AC15. Anyway, I had my rig set up in the rock'n'roll basement, where my band rehearses. I play bass in that band, and one night our guitarist needed an amp, so I offered to let him use the Night Train. It was on top of a speaker cabinet which was on top of an amp stand... you can see where this is going. We tried to scoot the whole thing around so it was facing him; something caught on something; and the Night Train took a dive onto the concrete floor. Killed it. Fortunately I was able to get another one off craigslist shortly thereafter.

A couple things which may not count as me breaking stuff, but which I think fit the spirit of this thread: when I was in college, somebody spilled a Coke down the back of my Peavey Mark III Bass head, which introduced some intermittent weirdness that made it unusable. I thought those things were indestructible.

More recently, I had just bought a mint Rickenbacker 360 and was putting it through its paces. When I finished, I took it off and, while lifting the strap over my head, rammed the headstock into an overhead steel beam, making a nice white maple gash in its pristine Jetglo finish. Oh well! Fortunately it was a keeper, and a Sharpie hid the damage at any distance.

Otis Fine likes this.
  11. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

at some point over the last 30 years i have broken about anything you can name

Otis Fine likes this.
  12. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I've been one lucky son of a gun.

Never broke a guitar, never had any gear fail, and (in 45+ years of playing and even gigging) I've never once broken a string.

I'm kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop now.

:(

Otis Fine likes this.
  13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Make that four. My brother and I shared a $25 nylon string guitar back in 1975. Eventually we put steel strings on it and the plastic sheath on the tuning pegs gave way under the string tension. I vaguely remember doing a Pete Townshend on it in the back yard after that.

Not me, but a singer in one of my bands hired an upright piano for a time. Now I don't remember if he was returning the piano or moving home but he had it in the back of a utility vehicle unsecured. He had to turn a very tight corner onto a major arterial road in Sydney. The ute made the corner but the piano went straight and exploded in the middle of 3 lanes of traffic.

Otis Fine likes this.
  14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

The same SG neck...(twice)

brookdalebill and Otis Fine like this.
  15. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing as yet.

Otis Fine likes this.
  16. ALANinDC

ALANinDC TDPRI Member

In 1977, I was a QC technician (and later Service Manager) for the old Earth Sound Research amplifier company in Hauppauge (Long Island) NY. I had a solid-state amp on the bench doing a QC "cook-test" when it lost a driver transistor, blowing four power transistors and sending straight DC into the speaker cabinet. Within a minute, the cab smoked and then ignited. Stunk up the factory floor something fierce.

I knew I should have taken that furniture factory job in Kentucky . . . :D

Otis Fine likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

broke a pic when I started using it to play Bass..... a Martin pic, too....:(

I just spun it around and used the back edge... seems to work fine...:D

broken pick.jpg

Otis Fine and Moriarty like this.
  18. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

my mxr phase 90 quit working. I did not think it was possible. I have no idea how I broke it.

Otis Fine and Moriarty like this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mostly strings and drum heads. And they can be replaced!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Otis Fine likes this.
  20. boop

boop Tele-Meister

i dropped one 60 year old jensen speaker on another 60 year old jensen speaker. they were fine until they met me...

Otis Fine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.