What matters MOST with Guitar Tone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GreatDaneRock, Oct 19, 2021.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Changing your speaker won’t make as big a change as running through a good delay pedal and doing something interesting with your tone.

2. NightOwl

NightOwl Tele-Holic

Is it a walnut or koa skunk stripe? Alder, ash or mahogany? Nitro or poly? Of course I'm not being serious. It's pickups and hardware to some extent. It's really in your fingers...

3. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

Besides the guitar tone knob, there are also the amp tone knobs. And they are a powerful tool for shaping your tone. Dont be afraid to use them ;)

Zajeta slika.JPG

P.s. just a random internet photo, this are not the settings I use.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    PhredE and tomasz like this.
  4. boxocrap

boxocrap Tele-Meister

your fingers connected to your heart an soul

5. tomasz

tomasz Tele-Meister

My actual settings, If anybody cares, work well in the band context for me

IMG_20211020_103340-01.jpeg

6. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

The song.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's a metal channel, did you expect classical guitar? What he says and showed makes a lot of sense.

8. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

The question is vague and I’m approaching data throttling on my phone, so the video will have to wait.
    For recording, I’m assuming the amp and guitar stuff has been figured out by the player, so the challenge comes down to microphones and mic placement and the space. Please don’t put an SM-57 on my amp. Sennheiser (even the cheap one) is good. Add a Royer or other ribbon a few feet away and we’re set.

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

May as well discuss which ice cream is best, chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry.

The contributing components to guitar tone are many and varied, and there are five times as many opinions on the topic as there are actual, quantifiable variables.

Somebody said it earlier;
    If it sounds really good to you, that's it right there.

;)

[​IMG]

RobRiggs and magicfingers99 like this.
  10. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

So the guy basically discovered that three guys hammering out chords on an over-distorted amp will all sound the same.

That's fine. But he needs to refine the title of his video to make it clear he's only talking about metal.

loopfinding and PhredE like this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Guitarists figured out 50-60 years ago that effects have the biggest affect on the tone.....somehow almost everybody now seems to have forgotten this.

cyclopean likes this.
  12. Dann B

Dann B TDPRI Member

To me, what matters most is that you can be heard clearly, without being too prominent. So basicly proper EQ. All the fancy gear in the world is worth doodie if you are fighting sonically with the rest of your band mates.

Also, in my case, copious amounts of delay and reverb. Everything is better wet! :p

13. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Holic

Effects (pedals) definitely have an impact on your sound/tone. But if you don’t have a good basic sound/tone - meaning your EQ settings on your amp and guitar - you are just using a pedal to fix that. My recommendation is to first get a good sound with your guitar and amp and then add effects to how you like them.

14. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

It falls on the ears of the listeners. You, them: whomever. One pickup, two pickups, three pickups. Split this,
    pedal that, it's all there. Tone chasers of the world "unite", before it's all gone.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

GreatDaneRock likes this.
  16. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Wish I could find an EV 10 for my Super Champ. That amp is my awesome but lacks that integral component.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This!
    Tone comes from pedals!
    The best pedal is a looper because you can play a scale and leave the room for 10 minutes while the pedal practices for you!
    Right?

18. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Holic

I agree with Glenn for the most part. When I think of 'tone', I'm really thinking of the 'sound'. A guitarist's signature is their vibrato and bends, imo. That is where 'the tone is in the hands' comes from. We've all heard a player in a guitar store playing through a high gain amp with a nervous vibrato. That sound makes me cringe, no matter how good the amp's tone is.

19. ArdeliasTele

ArdeliasTele Tele-Meister

Side rant:

"Tone is in the fingers" is such a nonsensical answer.

Anyone who's ever picked up any instrument (or any art form in any medium, for that matter...this all applies to a paintbrush as much as to a guitar) understands that knowledge, experience, technique, feel/soul, and imagination are the foundation of everything you do. Having those things squared away makes everything else you do come out better....a more experienced, more nuanced player with better technique will get more out of any given guitar, amp, effect, etc.

But that's a pretty obvious "the sky is blue" observation...it becomes immediately apparent the first time you pick up an instrument (or a paintbrush) and realize it's not going to play itself.

It's become such a hoary meme for guitar players....most of the time, it's presented as some kind of ultimate answer to every possible tone or gear question, like it's the One True Meta-Answer that makes the speaker sound wise and profound without actually contributing anything to the discussion.

When everyone has been through that same moment, and we've all had that same revelation, it stops being meaningful to say it. And I promise, we all have...even someone you might think of as the most derivative SoundCloud hack using electronics, modeling, and production to cover for technique knows exactly what they're doing...that they're using available tools to work around their limitations doesn't mean they're not aware of them; it actually strongly implies they are.

Then add on the fact that every...and I do mean 100%, absolutely every...player with "good fingers" (meaning they have that combination of experience, technique, feel, etc) has also leveraged different instruments, amps, and effects to adjust and enhance their tone, and it quickly becomes clear how silly the phrase is.

I'm not aiming this rant at anybody here...this wasn't sparked by anybody's particular comment, and I'm not trying to imply anything about anybody's intentions. So if you read this and take it that way, my apologies in advance.

I just realized how many times I've seen some variation on that phrase (and in how many different places) just this month alone, and it made me realize how many times I've seen it in the decades I've been an artist, and it hit me just how sick of it I am.

Cyberi4n and GreatDaneRock like this.
  20. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

you are right, the secret most people don't know is its not in the fingers, its actually in the thumbs. keep it under your hat...

Mexitele Blues and ArdeliasTele like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.