What matters MOST with Guitar Tone?

PARCO

Tele-Holic
What matters most is that it can be heard in the context of the band. A guitar player I used to play with basically turned everything up to 10. His "tone " was way bass heavy. Our bass player would always say that they were getting in each others way. His only response was " this is my tone. This is how I want to sound". He didn't consider how his "tone" worked with the overall sound of the band. As a result I felt that we tended to get too loud in our efforts to hear ourselves as individuals.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
His initial providing of evidence in the form of three players playing the same thing in the same way through a very distorted amp kind of ruined his credibility for me.
Did he really believe that showed anything at all?

Related issues: Youtube demos of anything - guitars, amps, pickups, even overdrive/distortion pedals - when the setup is so maximized on distortion that they are absolutely useless. Yeah, I'm interested in how the stuff distorts, but I don't play with everything maxed every time I play, so a demo of some cleaner tones would be helpful. My favorite is "Here's a demo of this boost pedal... running through my Marshall Super Lead with everything set to 11".

But I digress.

Red Ryder

Tele-Holic
What matters most is that it can be heard in the context of the band. A guitar player I used to play with basically turned everything up to 10. His "tone " was way bass heavy. Our bass player would always say that they were getting in each others way. His only response was " this is my tone. This is how I want to sound". He didn't consider how his "tone" worked with the overall sound of the band. As a result I felt that we tended to get too loud in our efforts to hear ourselves as individuals.
I've played with people like that. They just keep getting louder and louder and don't seem to understand that a band includes all of the instruments not just them. This can usually be cured with a friendly jam session where my buddy Maddog and I dial our full stacks all the way and our guitar volume to 2. They get loud we crank a little. This usually continues until they get the point or they get mad and go home. Either way it's a win, win for us. They just can't compete with 16-12" speakers and 200 watts of tube power.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
My observation is that people often confuse talent with tone. Ask 100 people their opinion of a particular tone from an average guitar player, then put the same guitar in the hands of a monster player you'll get a much different response.

tele_pathic

Friend of Leo's
Some peeps have been posting single coils vs. humbuckers makes a difference or tweed vs blackface vs Marshall makes a difference. Well, duh...I do wish the video had restricted its testing a bit: metal, 7 string, distortion to melt your face. He did say metal up front, which does eliminate the tweed vs BF vs ____ altoghter.

Now, within the parameters of his testing, I thought this was a great video. I'm no metalhead. BUT i did appreciate the playing and tone and the scientific nature of testing something that, ulitimately, is subjective: tone! I watched the whole video, and I did enjoy all 20 minutes of it. Thanks to the OP for posting it.