What Marshall is Weller playing thru?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telecasterless, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

I think they're called "IMMORTAL"

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

These days with everyone using ear monitors large amps and stacks have become obsolete,even the heavy metal and hard rock bands have dummies on stage just for looks and what the PA is "hearing" is a miked up cabinet that is located of stage most of the times in an isolation box.

3. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

4. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I know this is totally my problem, but I don't see what's so great about Weller mediocre songwriting average guitar and some MOD kudos. I'm not getting it I am willing to be enlightened though.

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

I wasn't really commenting on his playing ability as much as I was curious about the sound of Marshall versus Vox. That said, who am I to challenge the success he had? Not that that is always a measure of quality. We could go on forever about which bands we like and don't like, and we'll never agree. I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law would think he sucked too.

I guess it depends on what you were all about and listening to when they were popular. It's not always about age however nostalgia can have a lot to do with it.

Personally, I think he was a excellent songwriter, and for a 3 piece to deliver with that kind of energy and urgency is compelling.

But feel free to offer up your nostalgic band selection - I would be happy to share my opinion of them.

6. Dave_O

Dave_O Friend of Leo's

Great to know, but... relevance to the OP = none.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  7. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

The op answered my question (view point) in the post above yours
    relevance to me = some.

8. Telecasterless

Leebman - I know nothing about you....your age, your taste in music, where you were born, how much you make, whether you sing, or ride motorcycles or went to Oxford or drink Bushmills with soda ...... I can't share what is compelling about a band to me with you without any point of reference. I was 15 in 1980 and the new music (mostly what came out of England) was fresh and new. And being young and crazy and frenetic....the timing was just right.

Now I just sit and listen to Coltrane (and all the new, unrecognized bands) but occasionally reflect back on those days and wonder.....how could I get that sound.....if I wanted to.

9. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

Telecasterless, I am probably the exact opposite of you most of the stuff I listened to came from your side of the pond and i don't really rate any of those post punk bands everything sounded like that in England and we could argue the who did it first and come up with no solution forever. I'm always interested in people who like stuff I don't get, I have had my mind changed on topics with eloquent arguments on occasions and I am always interested in revisiting stuff I passed by as a kid I liked what you said about the energy of the 3 piece, I found that in Husker Du for example. As for my Bushmills habit never with soda or ice. Before I get another warning from someone for being off topic I'll get to gaining that sound if you chose to. The rickenbacker is important the amp less so any of those trebly middle amps will do that. I have heard it in a vox and a marshal I've owned. If you want to do it for nostalgia without lashing out bucks on an amp some of the current stomp boxes are making these sounds available for fender users the BB preamp adds a chunk of mids and can boost the treble and control the bass to get close for a bit of a thrash.That jangle in the video posted is definately rick though. Not sure a tele will do that the same maybe a cabronita if you have one might get close. All the best.

10. Telecasterless

Thanks Leebman for your response. I always assumed that to get that "stick on a chain link fence" with sustain sound was probably the Rick, but was curious how much of that Chime comes from the Vox vs. Marshall. As another poster noted, the gig was played through the Peavey, so it probably comes back to the guitar. Thanks for the other tips on the pedals though. What is a BB preamp?

I will wrap up by saying that I bought New Day Rising when it came out on vinyl and i still have the CASSETTE tape. As much as English bands were a big influence on me and my peers in the 1980s, Los Angeles had a great local scene and good access to touring bands. Along the lines of Husker Du, I often saw Chili Peppers (when they played local clubs), Minute Men and X and many, many more. All are great bands and all part of the musical soup that I still appreciate today.

11. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

The bb preamp is a pedal by xotic. Here's the link http://www.xotic.us/effects/bb_preamp/ It's definately worth a look if you play through fender it has the ingredients to get some english bite in there. I've got some X vinyl stashed away also. I never stop learning and love input from forum members ! I'd love to make a comment on the peavey in that video but all the one's I have played through are bland may be that makes the case for the rick more i don't know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.