1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Marshall do guys like best?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Telefan33, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The amp came to me dead and needing a new transformer...power, iirc. Some probably pulled the Celestions out of the cab before getting rid of the dead weight??? It was a satisfying project to get the rig back into operation.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. rhino

rhino TDPRI Member

I like my Marshalls to say Germino and my Lead 55LV through a 2x12 is my go-to "Marshall" for live stuff. That amp combo has been in the trailer for a few months replacing the Dr. Z Z Wreck that's in storage "resting."

I also have an 18w clone built by Revelation Amps out of Austin for home and studio work that actually has a Marshall badge! The Normal channel was modded to a coscode design...plenty of gain...and the trem channel is glorious. It's loaded with a Greenback.

3. Tim Hicks

Tim Hicks TDPRI Member

The JTM 45 reissue is a great amp but I confess I was a little disappointed with it initially. This was not any failing of the amp but Marshall played safe with the amp when new by fitting Sovtek 5881 valves which are pretty bomb-proof but lacking in character in my opinion. Once I switched to some decent 6L6GCs it sounded much better and the cab is big enough on the more recent versions to fit KT66s too but I have not tried them in it yet. I guess for Marshall and the retail stores it is more important to have reliable and moderately priced tubes in the amp when it is sold but this amp really benefits from nicer bottles.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

20200730_120027.jpg 1974x

Best clean tone for Fender style pickups ever!
    They will burry me with mine.

hotrodkid and telemnemonics like this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Like his...

[​IMG]

deus56 likes this.
  6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

THe GOvnor is fairly low gain. IT will get an 800 sound fairly well. It also sounds good in front of a clean amp. Especially a Vox AC15.
    ---
    By creamy I mean singing sustain with almost no grit.
    ---
    Marshall is all about grit. I think you might want to try a Mesa Boogie Mark series. THose are creamy with no grit.

7. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

The only low volume Marshalls are the one watt amps ;-)

8. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I'm gonna get some flack for this, but who cares; Valvestate Mk1 8200 80W stereo. Both because of the cleans and what the preamp does by itself and also because it is a nice convenient stereo power amp with speakers for use with the Boss GT-8 pedal as a modeller and effects.

IMG_20201009_165543.jpg

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  9. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I've had a couple 2204 that I liked a lot, a 73 Major with a "Deep Purple mod" and master volume that I loved, But the ones I REALLY thought sounded the best are overpriced - 1959slp and especially 1987x. Probably will never be willing to pay that. Especially since I got a Dr. Z Prescription ES. Marshalls I've had I thought were utter dogs are the Vintage Modern and Origin 50 which I sent back the next day.

10. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG][​IMG]

Erwin likes this.
  11. ClosetSciFiGeek

ClosetSciFiGeek TDPRI Member

I really like my Ceriatone 2550 (Marshall 50 Watt Silver Jubilee clone). It does everything for me. It has a GREAT clean channel and not a "for a Marshall" good clean, for anything good clean. It also has a rhythm clip switch that adds some grit to the clean channel and the Overdrive is very sought after (think Guns 'N Roses used this amp for Appetite). Huge fan of this amp (had it for about two months) and I have in the past been very much a Fender Blackface and Tweed guy. Ceriatone 2550 smaller file.jpg

12. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve probably owned 50+ Marshall’s over the years, from the earliest model being a 1969 Popular, to a 2017 1974x. My favorite (usable) Marshall amp’s are the Master Volume JMP’s.

I’ve owned an early model 1987x and I’ve owned a few 1962HW and a 1962RI JTM Bluesbreakers.

From my experience, the JTM is warmer (more bass) and the 1987x is brighter. Guess which amp is for you, depends upon your tone preferences.

Both amps are very loud and would need a good OD pedal for lower volume gain. I’ve not had success with attenuators but I’ve never owned a PowerStation (which is supposed to be one of the best but costly).

I loved both my Bluesbreakers and my 1987x at band volumes. My 1987x had a PPiMV mod so it was a little more usable at more moderate volumes.

Good Luck with your purchase.

My current two Marshall’s last photo.

A6D1C0DE-7F74-4811-BAFE-3A1EF10B933F.jpeg
    3BBC2A00-90C4-4C75-B15F-5FABB615DD8D.jpeg
    8E8D3ADA-7FDD-4CD7-B7D1-305AB9B41CDA.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  13. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I had a 1987x for several years. Cleanest amp I ever played, mostly because I never played anywhere it could get loud enough to get dirty.

Oh sure, I ran pedals through it for dirt. But after a while I realized that would never get me that sound, and then I sold it. Only amp I ever sold that I don’t wish I had back.

That said, I’m lately thinking hard about an SV20H.

14. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

Sonically the one I like the most is the JCM-800 2205. As that is the one that Tom Morello uses. And also the one that has a decent amount of crunch without having to stick an overdrive or other booster in front of it. The JCM-2000 DSL also sounds decent for that same reason. Having said that I don't get where Marshalls got the reputation of being workhorses from. I have three and they were all down at one time at the same time. One is still down. Whereas some Fender amps that I have just keep on going.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool about the pedal.

Marshall is all about grit?

You need to get out and buy more Plexi Marshalls!
    They can do grit when you dig in but clean scream when you pick lightly at feedback volume.
    After the Master Model introduced gritty preamp dirt which became the JCM800, I lost interest in Marshall amps.
    Those circuits can get some grit free scream, more with a LP like we often hear from Slash and his Jubilees, but the Marshalls that do both clean and gritty scream just by varying pick attack are pretty much the early pre MV circuits.

As for Plexi 100 sound, there were only two circuits I consider best at the clean dirt, made in '66 and '67.
    By '68 the Plexi was the metal panel circuit and more punchy & gritty than the earlier circuits with liquid sustain.
    Depends on the player too, but from my one player perspective the '68 and later massive power section filtering brought the brutal attack we love, while losing the liquidy creamy sounds we only hear on certain albums.

The two Marshall Plexi RI amps (1987x and 1959slp) are simply not Plexi circuits, and what they are sorta close to is the last Plexi circuit that's the same as the metal panel circuit.

It's funny though how much the player influences the sound of the amp, I owned a hardwood cab MKIV and it did nothing but buzz and fizz for me in any lead channel setting. I guess I never really surrendered to that fiddly amp.

My favorite Plexi 100 was a '67 with the front panel missing, and I put old chicken head knobs on it but the controls had no markings.
    Setting four input Marshallsis so intuitive I didn't need to read the controls.
    That's what I mean by "surrender to the amp".

I actually formed much of my playing technique around the plexi 100 at feedback volume.
    Basically what you have is a low gain clean preamp into a big power amp that has a little less filtering than required for the huge punch of the later metal panels.
    So if you play single notes and pick them lightly with the volume turned up well above feedback level, the notes are fat and clear, with sustain until you mute them back. But then dig in on the attack or play a double stop and you get a snarling gritty sound.
    Play three note or full chords and you get full on crunch.

Run a later Marshall circuit based around cascading preamp gain, and you don't have as much of a direct link to controlling the power amp dirt.
    Even the '68 and later four input Marshalls have so much more both filtering and total volume that the gradual liquid response is replaced by a massive punch, and a quicker transition from clean to crunch.
    Those are great amps too, I'm just more fond of the "other" Marshall sounds, which we hear on records but maybe never actually use those amps ourselves.
    Angus Young and EVH used the cleaner early 100's on many records, pretty much all the early recordings from them.

Edit: in fairness, you can get creamier sounds from the metal panels, but really only at brutal volume and in a smaller envelope.
    There were obviously reasons Eddie kept using a ragged old 1967 Marshall 100 for years when he could have had any of the newer improved versions.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don’t always play Marshalls, but when I do, I play a 100W JCM800.
    Rock responsibly!
    ;)

17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

BobbyZ and Wally like this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The 1974x Marshall makes is super expensive, keep an eye out for hobby and kit built 18w TMB amps.
    I have a good 1974x made by Lil Dawg amps and two hobby/ kit built 18w TMB.
    The '74x lacks the TMB tone stack, and I findit has the right amount of bass for HBs but not enough bass for Fender SCs.
    The TMB versions (that Marshall never made) are IMO really a better version of that otherwise great circuit, because we can adjust it to our preferred guitars and speakers.
    I also don't use mine with the Greenback Marshall installs, which were stock at the original time of production.
    That might be you favorite speaker with it though, and if you prefer the 74x as is then it's right for you.

I bought my hand wired 18w TMB head versions for around $300- $350 each, so there's that!

Injam likes this.
  19. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

Funny, no one's mentioned the JTM30 yet. I've gigged with the following Marshall amps..

JCM900 4502 (el34 version)
    JCM900 4102 (5881 version)
    JVM205C
    DSL40C
    JTM30 (1X12)
    JTM30 (2X10)

I use EMG pickups in all the guitars I build as I like the increased headroom they provide, however amplifiers respond differently to those pickups as compared to passive pickups. Keep that in mind as I throw in my 2¢ worth.

My favorite amp is my JCM900 4502. I can only recommend the el34 version as I believe the later models rewired for 5881s simply don't sound as good. I use it for everything country,blues,fusion. Nothing like going from Brett Mason and Danny Garton licks to Nuno Bettencourt and John Petrucci without the aid of foot pedals. I might add I've made some mods to that amp as well as my guitar.

As far as a cool box stock Marshall goes the JTM30 with a single 12" celestion is pretty damn sweet. The other guitar player in the group I was in let me borrow his when my 4502 was "down". The recordings of our practices and gigs were excellent (Tascam Dr40) while I used that amp. The other guitarist had a half stack JCM800 and 1960 slant back cab. While I couldn't keep up with him volume wise, my tone on the recordings was far superior (managed to balance out the sound by aiming my speaker directly at the recorder). I ran direct into the amp while he used a tube screamer and some other assorted pedals. I think I kept that amps master volume at 7-8 at all times with everything else on 10. I tried to buy that amp off him but he wouldn't sell it at the time.

Lastly my backup amp is the DSL40C, that amp sounds decent with a guitar loaded with passive pickups but with my EMGs the 70/80 celestion speaker that came loaded in it simply isn't up to the task. Low end would fart like an old lady at church. I swapped the tubes for a matched set of JJs and replaced the speaker with a celestion creamback 12/75h. Now it's GTG! Great amp. Really gave it a 60's Brit sound, very surprising. Somewhat versatile amp.

As far as the other amps listed above ,
    I don't think much of the 2x10" JTM 30 a single 12" speaker cuts through better
    I own the JVM205C, alot of sound possibilities from that amp, very tight. If I was playing in a metal band I'd probably use it.
    JCM900 4102 (100 watt versions of that series in general) not a fan, pretty loud by the time you get it to "sing" I say mic your amp, balance your sound out on stage. Makes for a better performance.

I have plans on building a JTM45 clone in the future. I'm sure I'll share it when I do. Good luck in your amp hunting. Rock on!

20. claptonrules

claptonrules TDPRI Member

I've always wanted a Marshall, never had one. I'm gettin older so play at home 90% of the time and gig out about 8 times a year with our band. 20 watt tube amp is plenty for me and gotta be a combo. Have it narrowed down to the new Origin 20 or the SV20 and would appreciate suggestions/opinions on which do get. Cost considerably different, don't know why, but money not a problem so either fine. Just want the best one. I use my pedalboard so gotta be pedal friendly but mainly my Helix HX effects just straight into front of amp so really only need one channel and no reverb necessary. Thoughts appreciated. Would like to purchase soon.
    thx

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.