What makes your Telecaster "Yours"?

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
Mine is 2009 Squier CV 50's tele my wife bought me the 1st Christmas after we were married.
Those early generation CVs were very fine guitars. They were well-made, the wood was lighter weights and the grain was nice. They had a great ”vibe” to them. The CV Custom had a rosewood fretboard.
IMO, the newer versions are not as nice.
Hold onto yours!

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
They are mainly cosmetic in looks but the numbers are helpful with setting volume and tone. I suppose you could use knobs similar to what is used on a Strat and get a similar look.
Oh yeah I understand. …the original tele knobs are all guess work. And hard to re pick an exact setting once ya find the setting you like

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
What makes it mine? I've been thinking about my response. Mine is 2009 Squier CV 50's tele my wife bought me the 1st Christmas after we were married.
I could write a novella. I'll keep it simple. Besides upgrading everything except the tuners. I've embraced the 50's tribute thing. Bakelite pickgaurd, patent pending bridge plate, correct 50's knobs, all straight slot screws, Fender Custom shop bridge pup. All cloth wiring. I've also dropped it a couple times so there's chips in the finish.
What is that reddish circle. ? A custom decal ?

FSRCustomTeleHHGT

Tele-Meister

What makes your Telecaster "Yours"?​

The fact that no one else would have it. No, really. In all three cases, my Telecasters were rejects that I bought after someone else returned them. I can see why in all three cases, and I was okay with the cosmetic issues given the reduction in price.

Technically I have a 4th Tele that really is just firewood. Bought it "new" for $35. I use it to learn how to dress frets, solder, etc. It's saying "Am I a joke to you?" right now. Yes, sweetie. You are.

dcos

Tele-Meister
I built it and put my wife's picture on it. Too bad the lacquer cracked over the picture but relic'd, right?

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_172951.jpg
    IMG_20220626_172951.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20220626_173755.jpg
    IMG_20220626_173755.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
Tough to follow that last guy, but here goes.
Plenty of minor mods- schaller locking tuners and strap locks, Highwood saddles, electrosocket jack plate, a 4 way switch. Plus it’s got a distinctive grain pattern and a nice big ding on the side.
View attachment 998158

View attachment 998159
I actually like yours better, it doesn't have a half naked woman on the back.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
Lots of stuff.
I have two.
Both have big, deep D shaped figured maple necks.
Both have TV Jones pickups.
Both have Hipshots.
Both have rosewood fingerboards.
Both have good, medium jumbo frets.
Both have flatter fingerboad radius.
Both have selector switches ‘up top’, like on a Les Paul.
Both are “honest relics“, meaning they are slightly beat up from regular use.
Both have phase switches.
Neither have tone controls, the forward pot, normally volume controls, are switches only.
I like the volume control out of the way of my picking hand.
I don’t like turning myself down accidentally.
I very rarely do volume swells.
Both have the volume control where the tone pot is normally.
I despise tone controls.
Both have volume controls only.
Both sound great.
Both have been modded constantly since I acquired them.
View attachment 993987

Both real purdy, but that one on the right really gets my motor humming. I'm a sucker for a nice piece of ash.

marley jr

TDPRI Member
Yeah. Wife and I went to Cancun for our honeymoon and went to Chichén Itzá on an excursion and totally loved it. Later that year, wife bought me this new Tele for Christmas. The factory inspection tag was dated the same day we left Mexico. We thought it was quite the coincidence and Maya became her name. Took me a few weeks to find a sticker I liked. A friend offered to do a Mayan themed paint job on her but, the sticker is enough I think.

marley jr

TDPRI Member
Those early generation CVs were very fine guitars. They were well-made, the wood was lighter weights and the grain was nice. They had a great ”vibe” to them. The CV Custom had a rosewood fretboard.
IMO, the newer versions are not as nice.
Hold onto yours!
Thanks! She plays great and there's no way it's going anywhere. I would love to get the sunburst CV with the double binding.