What makes your Telecaster "Yours"?

marley jr

TDPRI Member
Two of mine look fairly generic Teles; one Butterscotch, the other a White Blonde, but the third is fairly unique and I'd know it from a distance. They didn't make them in this colour and I couldn't bring myself to drill for a pickguard, so I left it without.

View attachment 994029

I also didn't flush the string ferrules down into the body as I hadn't got the right tool to countersink them. I had planned to refinish the guitar as the body is actually not the colour I expected when I ordered it, so I figured the ferrules would be easier to get back out. The chrome control plate isn't typical either, but I had it spare and it helped counteract the light body/neck dive.

View attachment 994031
That is sweet! I bet it sounds great thru that Silver Jubilee!

Ebidis

Friend of Leo's

What makes your Telecaster "Yours"?​

The fact that I bought it, with my money.

fullsizeoutput_32b.jpeg

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
Hope you guys don't mind that im posting up my Strat, but it has 2 marks that I thought would be fun to share. Its an 08 American Standard in Blizzard Pearl. On the neck there is what looks like a pen mark that came from the factory on the bottom side of the head stock. It won't come off.

The other came the first year I got the guitar in 08, my cat was going crazy and knocked the guitar off the stand. It tumbled and put a big dent (about the size of a nickel) right on the back of the neck where your thumb often rests. I thought the neck was toast but i brought it to my local luthier who is very good and he mentioned it could be fixed since the wood wasn't chipped, but rather just dented. It took multiple days with heat and moisture if i remember correctly, and he was able to pull the dent out! You can still see the outline of it, but its smooth to play over and i don't notice it! I was so relieved considering it was my new guitar.

View attachment 996770 View attachment 996771
Wow that looks great I have about a quarter inch dent in my neck as well. You said heat and moisture pops those out ? Like a steamy cloth. ?

Stratocast

Tele-Meister
On the face of it, a pretty ordinary MIJ '62 reissue Tele, purchased in '88. For me it's the little things. My then wife, had dated a number of well-known musicians in the NY punk scene. When I met her, I'd stopped gigging and only messed around in the house and she was always pushing me to start playing out again. When she passed away from cancer, it just felt like the right thing to do to start playing again and I had the neck plate engraved in her honor. The fuzzy velveteen music notes were purchased as a souvenir at the Lincoln Center gift shop as I was leaving the '75 concert of Jeff Beck and Mahavishu orchestra. They were in a cellophane bag thumb-tacked to my wall all those years and ended up going on the new Tele in '88. The "TS" is not my initials. It stands for Trusted Servant. I could ID this guitar blindfolded. It has jumbo frets with a compound radius done by legendary luthier Roger Sadowski. View attachment 997092 View attachment 997093
Unique neck plate. I don’t think I’ve seen one like it before.

marley jr

TDPRI Member
What makes it mine? I've been thinking about my response. Mine is 2009 Squier CV 50's tele my wife bought me the 1st Christmas after we were married.
I could write a novella. I'll keep it simple. Besides upgrading everything except the tuners. I've embraced the 50's tribute thing. Bakelite pickgaurd, patent pending bridge plate, correct 50's knobs, all straight slot screws, Fender Custom shop bridge pup. All cloth wiring. I've also dropped it a couple times so there's chips in the finish.

Attachments

• 20160714_170139.jpg
    20160714_170139.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20201113_172222.jpg
    20201113_172222.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210105_131418.jpg
    20210105_131418.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210105_131426.jpg
    20210105_131426.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210105_131432.jpg
    20210105_131432.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15

SoCal-Alan

TDPRI Member
I just got this Squier CV '69 Tele Thinline in November,
and sold my too heavy 2004 Standard Tele to get it.
( I only keep 1 each of guitar styles I have- so this is my only Tele)

So there is nothing unique/personal about this Tele ( 100% stock, will stay this way for a while) except:

- I always wanted this Tele variation ( Thin line/Mahogany body/single coils) as I think they are beautiful- and light!
- it plays great! (comfy)
- it sounds great! ('old' tone- IMO)
** so, we've bonded!
I have almost exactly the same setup except my Stageright Amp is a 15w. I've
I just got this Squier CV '69 Tele Thinline in November,
and sold my too heavy 2004 Standard Tele to get it.
( I only keep 1 each of guitar styles I have- so this is my only Tele)

So there is nothing unique/personal about this Tele ( 100% stock, will stay this way for a while) except:

- I always wanted this Tele variation ( Thin line/Mahogany body/single coils) as I think they are beautiful- and light!
- it plays great! (comfy)
- it sounds great! ('old' tone- IMO)
** so, we've bonded!
I have the exact setup except a 15 watt version of the stageright amp. Love everything about my CV Thinline telecaster. I have 13 other guitars. But it is just so easy to play and learn new stuff on.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I have almost exactly the same setup except my Stageright Amp is a 15w. I've

I have the exact setup except a 15 watt version of the stageright amp. Love everything about my CV Thinline telecaster. I have 13 other guitars. But it is just so easy to play and learn new stuff on.
The Tele Thinline is such a comfy good-sounding player, you just don't want to put it down.

The Monoprice 5-watter was 100% bought ( in December) specifically to really hear ( as you can indeed turn this amp all the way up!) ' that great tube overdrive!' we always read about- find out if you can really get this?, what it sounds like.

Something I don't know if I ever really heard before with my larger tube amps, as they were so loud ( if you actually cranked them), I always kept the amp volume lower, clean toned, then used OD pedals...
all good, but I just wanted to hear 'naked!'- guitar >small tube amp cranked

So, the Monoprice did not disappoint!

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
One of them: All the mods I did to it, the refin and the custom Parklane neck I bought for it. The other, mainly the mods, custom wiring and custom hardware.

Who am I kidding? What really makes my teles mine is God's grace, plain and simple. They are better than I deserve and I'm blessed (and thankful) to have them.