What makes you laugh

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Been a couple of sad threads so I thought about something happy. As a kid cartoons really started me down the world of laughing; especially the Road Runner. Pull my finger made me laugh. A little older and I discovered the Three Stooges and they made me laugh and like every other kid, I could do most of the Curley mimicking.

As a young teenager it was probably the dirty jokes my brother told, he knew all the good ones and seemed to have the timing to tell them. The central latrine at Cam Rahn Bay had some of the funniest graffiti ever written and I laughed a lot sitting on the pot.

Movies were my source of laughter later and Mad Mad World, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Airplane and a few others could get me laughing really hard (still can).

Later it was stand ups, especially Richard Pryor and many of the cable comedians. I liked the The Three Blue Collar guys, Foxworthy, Engvall, White and Larry the Cable Guy too.

I like to laugh, always have. Even some of the stuff on Bad Dog has had me spitting coffee. What makes you laugh?

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I like the dumbest movies that make my wife roll her eyes. "Dumb and Dumber" comes to mind. Give me anything mindless like vintage Steve Martin or Steven Wright and I'm entertained and will laugh for days.

Our cats are pretty entertaining. They seem to like it when I hide and peek around corners and jump out at them, which they happily reciprocate. That's good fun.

However, those things pale in comparison to my interactions with my grandkids. I can usually get them to laughing and then I laugh and then we laugh at each other and the circle of life is complete.

Old Plank

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A few of my friends are truly funny, they should have been comedians and get me laughing pretty often. One of them writes volumes of limericks, for every occasion, appropriately off-color, and they are hilarious and really creative.

Otherwise the show Hacks on hbo-max has some good laughs.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Humor is my best coping mechanism and I really like the occasional out of control laughter. My wife and I watched the Brit comedy series The IT Crowd a while back and the episode where Jen takes the guys to the play had us pausing the episode several times to take a hysteria break. It was almost alarming, lol. (Almost) nothing better than sharing a comical breakdown.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Been a couple of sad threads so I thought about something happy. What makes you laugh?

Lot of things make me laugh - I remember Monty Python and the Holy Grail - John Cleese French character made me laugh - but what killed me was when he ejected the Cow - I almost died - but the whole movie had so many moments - The First Airplane Movie had me rolling - tremendously funny - Tim Allens first stand up 'Men Are Pigs' had me going - especially his grunting - many situations and people have me in stitches - John Mulaney killed it - so many things were funny - the Delta Airlines Expierience had me laughing out loud - The first 3 seasons of Friends had some moments - I'd have to think about it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Sometimes it's the company you are in that makes something funny. My son and I were working on a project down in Los Alamitos when "The Mask" with Jim Carrey came out. We had a nice dinner one evening, enjoyed a couple of drinks and walked to the theater nearby and watched the movie. I'm not a Jim Carrey fan, but that night, I laughed harder than I ever had at a movie, and so did my son. We talked about it a couple of times, and both of us really enjoyed the evening. I think it was because I was with him and relaxed that allowed me to get caught up in the laughter.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I think real life situations are funnier to me than contrived tv or movie situations. I suppose it's a failing on my part, but I don't know if I've ever seen a comedian performing that I thought was funny.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
1654011663138.png

Attachments

• 1654011596086.png
    1654011596086.png
    149.8 KB · Views: 7

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I laugh at the unexpected, spontaneous, incongruous. I hate most stand-up and have been to one comedy club. Boring, not funny. I don't like shock laughter, foul language for the sake of shock value, etc. Dirty jokes, etc., do nothing for me. Slapstick is always funny, of course. I was weaned on the Stooges.

I grew up in the golden era of Saturday-morning cartoons (mid-to-late 60s). I still like cartoons/animation...naturally.

I thought I'd pass out the first time I saw The Holy Grail, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, Start The Revolution Without Me, etc. I think the most continuous laugher I've ever experienced was seeing "South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut". OMG, I've never seen Miz Diane laugh so hard. Robot Chicken is usually fun for me. Miz Diane thinks it is stupid...

TV sitcoms rarely get me laughing...and I haven't watched a first-run since the 1970s. SNL, when it came out, was mostly a group thing. We'd get together and laugh our a$$es off...but after the first couple of seasons, yawn.

Miz Diane and I rarely watch TV together but we saw something last week that caught me off-guard...uncontrollable laughter. She was more amused at my laughter than the actual show (and I can't recall what it was, just that I LOLOLOLd). Probably a youtube video.