What makes the 'frying bacon' sound...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by King Fan, May 22, 2019.

1. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

May to August? Sorry for the bump. But although my Vibro Champ seems to remain cured, I recently had this same sound only a good deal worse on a 1955 amp!! A *variable* static. Crackle fizz pause. Crackle crackle crackle fizz pause. Bacon frying!

Chopsticks, tube swaps; nope. But the noise did lessen some after I had the chassis out of the amp, and it did seem worse with loud notes.

I tightened the springs on the sockets. Badabing badaboom, the static was gone. So at least I have one first-person answer to my own question.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

bad caps usually give you a hiss, crackles can be bad connections, bad guitar cable. if it smells like bacon, check to see if your amp is kosher..

King Fan likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Very useful discovery!

King Fan likes this.
  4. Mike H.

Mike H. Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My problem with amp crackling turned out to be a speaker voice coil going bad.
    You might try disconnecting the internal speaker and sending the output through another cab.
    If it still crackles, the circuit is the culprit.

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Holding phone or tablet over Strat pickups does get a nice crackle and sizzle going.

I'm chicken to see if my pacemaker will do it to.

Called ionization or radiation, bet a trip inside the cap at Chernobyl would really get things popping.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a couple amps that crackle on start up and have no other symptoms.
    I've learned to ignore it.

7. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

The frying bacon amp sound is meant to differentiate from the run of the mill crackle sound.

Is this just crackle or is it frying bacon?

I think the frying bacon sound of amps is noted for its sizzle. That and it is all of the time, not associated with the signal.

The classic frying bacon sound is supposed to result from old carbon comp plate load resistors that have absorbed moisture over the course of their lives producing the sizzle sound.

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

unless you've got a nuclear powered iphone, I doubt its ionizing radiation. its more likely rf interference, cause you got a radio transmitter in your cell phone always pinging cell phone towers to see where the best signal is. Also a wireless TCP/IP transmitter/receiver talking to your WAP, and you've got a bluetooth transmitter/receiver all these devices are blowing rf across different frequency and sometimes using adaptive techniques to change frequencies to increase signa and decrease noise/interference.

plus whatever crap the nsa/cia and other assorted agencies have mandated to catch the bad guys and everybody else is just collateral damage in their eavesdropping.

so no plutonium, but you are holding at least a tri-band radio transmitter up against your head every day beaming stuff through your brain and paying nicely for the priveldge of being an unreimbursed medical experiment.

be sure to make lots of calls today and talk about this with your friends on your personal surviellance device aka cell phone.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

never hold up to my head.

my 2.4 - 5Ghz WIFI router tower is in my little bedroom studio.

My hand wound over wound Alnico 2, 3 and V pups go nutz when I hold them close to my WIFI broadcast tower. Reminds me, I need to move the slow cooker router up on top of my tall bookcase currently it's only about a meter away from my head.

10. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

Enhancing your Faraday-cage-building expertise a worthy endeavor.

11. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That would be ME!! When you di*k with my amp settings,,,;)

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I notice some old blue spragues in there, I'd start with a new cap set , then clean and reset the tube contacts , de-Oxit the pots and exercise them and clean the jacks contacts, just maintenance

13. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think I've lost the thread in this thread. :)

If anyone's still talking about my Vibro Champ, the problem has been gone since May. I just updated the thread to say I found a cause (that I don't recall being mentioned in the original thread) in another amp with *serious* 'frying bacon' static, and in *that* amp it was loose springs in the 1955 tube sockets. Hard to believe they'd loosen up in just 64 years, but there you go.

At this point, let's cue Homer Simpson: "Mmmm, bacon..."

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  14. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Plate resistors

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.