What Makes TDPRI So Special To Me.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
You've been here a lot longer than me. I'm just a "short timer" of three + years and have never won anything except the good vibes I receive every time I log in and that's a win in itself.
I’ve only been here since 2019 and it feels like forever, which is kind of funny as fast as time moves nowadays

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
I’ve had nothing but joy here. My questions have been answered many times over. I’ll be turning 71 here in January. I grew up hearing all the music that was offered over the AM spectrum and then the FM underground from KPPC in SoCal where I grew up. I’ve played surf, Beatles and Stones ( not very well) and from the Buffalo Springfield learns of country. Duane Almond turned me on to the blues and Miles Davis. Growing up in SoCal I had cars, hot rods, surfboards. My first guitar was a sears Fender knock off my parents bought me used and played intermittently.
Fast forward to about 2010 I got back to seriously playing guitar after 1st wife passed and could say no. Enter TDPRI and GAS. Now where else can you find a group of people willing to share knowledge and let you cry on their shoulder than this place they’ve supported me though a liver transplant and other passing of life in general.
This has a revolving door of characters that endear it to us all.
Thank you Mods for doing the occasional tidying up after people get out of hand (guilty once or twice).
Thank you all!

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been here a long time. Even so, there are plenty who have been here longer than I. There’s gotta be a reason for that, because forums are very transient. People come, people go, but people tend to stay here longer. It’s civil, it’s pretty friendly, and the members respect that. There are numerous folks here that I know would be cool to have a beer with. That’s high praise, btw…

lowatter

Tele-Afflicted
Holy crap!...I just realized I'm going on 15 years here. I was a young man then at 48. I'm registered on many other sites that are musically centered or for my other hobby interests but this site and MLP luthier section are the only ones that I go to several times a day. Good people...good times. 👍
🤙

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
Well, the Telecaster is Everyman's guitar, and people here get that and treat one another with appropriate respect. I've never had a rude reply to my stupid questions, and I've asked a lot of em, going back to pre-RI days.

RhythmFender

Tele-Holic
I find it amusing how often I check in to this site. I don't own a tele, I don't even like teles, and my primary musical interests and pursuits veer far off what is the 'norm' on this forum. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but I feel I fit in to this community better then any of the other guitar/music based forums that I've been a part of.
Sounds like you need a tele!

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Great forum. I am in here all the time. Great bunch of people.Also society is not all bad ....lol
I have not seen any know it all's like other forums.

DekeDog

Friend of Leo's
Rock music came into being as a real musical format during '54 and '55. I was born January 5, 1955. It's always been so cool to me that I arrived at the same time as the birth of Rock & Roll. I know. It's silly. I had nothing more to do with it than being born. Mom and Dad were responsible for that.

Could it be that R&R is responsible for your conception?

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
This forum is my primary social medium. I’ve found similar sites related to motorcycling but the turnover is rapid by comparison, so almost none of those forums are relevant to me any more. This community is good for my outlook; my faith in humanity is frequently restored here.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
It really is a community. I just got a message from a guy in NYC who I went to see Campilongo with there, and who came to my house here in Toronto. All from being members here.

Cheers,
Geoff
Ok, he just sent me a picture from when he visited my place. I was skinny. And less of a receding hairline. So it’s not all good. Lol.

Cheers,
Geoff

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I was born January 5, 1955. It's always been so cool to me that I arrived at the same time as the birth of Rock & Roll. I know.
I was born March 10th, 1955. It's always been so cool to me that I arrived at the same time as the birth of Rock & Roll.

Fiesta Red

Doctor of Teleocity
I was born in 1970, but I’m an old soul…my parents (old souls themselves) and grandmother (an ancient soul) shared their music with me, so I grew up with everything from Caruso to Chuck Berry and Beethoven to Dwight Yoakum.

When I was nine, a friend of mine from our congregation died. I used to mow her lawn and wash her windows…she had been born in 1889…I used to sit on the porch and listen to her talk about her childhood, and how when she was raising her grandson in the early 1960’s, she allowed him to “fix up” her car, and she was so embarrassed when he turned her ‘57 Chevy into a hot rod, as she was going around picking up all the little old ladies to take them to services (like my mom did with her and another woman who was born in 1900).

There was an old man who lived down the street from me who was born in 1878. He was 101, and I’d go listen to the books-on-record with him on his front porch (he was mostly blind), but told me first-hand about both WWI and WWII—he was too old (not required in WWI, too old in WWII) to serve in either of them, but worked at a steel mill during each of them. He told me about his first car—when he was already well into his adult years. After we had become friends, he confided that he was afraid to die, “not because of dyin’, but because of Ruthie (his wife) being on her own…she’s already got the old-timers (he meant Alzheimer’s) and I’m afraid nobody will remind her to take her pills.” When he died (105 yo), I’d go mow her lawn and trim the bushes (like I had done for him), but she wouldn’t come outside, because she couldn’t remember who I was…she died a few years later at 97.

Those people shaped me, too.

I agree that a lot of our older-than-me members were in a sweet spot, as far as seeing/remembering Little Richard and Fats Domino or the Beatles and Stones first-hand, but I think my generation got the benefit of overlapping with those people but we also knew people from the 19th century…we were the last “feral children” who weren’t structured out the wazoo but also saw the dawn of the information age.

TurtlesnTanlines

TDPRI Member
I’m lucky to have found this badass site. I learned guitar through forums like this and have been sad to see them go or turn Reddit inspired trash ha.

This is that one place left on earth where people don’t get offended and actually take feedback as part of conversation. Most commenters also are great at viewing guitars as ‘unique to each person’.

I don’t expect everyone to love my Ultra Tele the same way I do. It’s got a unique neck profile, a high e dangerously close to the edge, and noiseless pups. For me, it’s just fun as hell to see people excited to just give their opinion on it and see what else comes out of the discussion.

It’s refreshing. But what else would I expect from Tele players? We’re at our happiest noodling around a 1950s inspired piece of wood.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I was born in 1970, but I’m an old soul…my parents (old souls themselves) and grandmother (an ancient soul) shared their music with me, so I grew up with everything from Caruso to Chuck Berry and Beethoven to Dwight Yoakum.

When I was nine, a friend of mine from our congregation died. I used to mow her lawn and wash her windows…she had been born in 1889…I used to sit on the porch and listen to her talk about her childhood, and how when she was raising her grandson in the early 1960’s, she allowed him to “fix up” her car, and she was so embarrassed when he turned her ‘57 Chevy into a hot rod, as she was going around picking up all the little old ladies to take them to services (like my mom did with her and another woman who was born in 1900).

There was an old man who lived down the street from me who was born in 1878. He was 101, and I’d go listen to the books-on-record with him on his front porch (he was mostly blind), but told me first-hand about both WWI and WWII—he was too old (not required in WWI, too old in WWII) to serve in either of them, but worked at a steel mill during each of them. He told me about his first car—when he was already well into his adult years. After we had become friends, he confided that he was afraid to die, “not because of dyin’, but because of Ruthie (his wife) being on her own…she’s already got the old-timers (he meant Alzheimer’s) and I’m afraid nobody will remind her to take her pills.” When he died (105 yo), I’d go mow her lawn and trim the bushes (like I had done for him), but she wouldn’t come outside, because she couldn’t remember who I was…she died a few years later at 97.

Those people shaped me, too.

I agree that a lot of our older-than-me members were in a sweet spot, as far as seeing/remembering Little Richard and Fats Domino or the Beatles and Stones first-hand, but I think my generation got the benefit of overlapping with those people but we also knew people from the 19th century…we were the last “feral children” who weren’t structured out the wazoo but also saw the dawn of the information age.
Ignorant, dumb, feeble minded twits are the ones that do not respect their elders. When I in my twenties, I had neighbors in my complex. People who are in their 70's & 80's can offer so much to for a young man and vs versa. I'd do little chores that were magnamanous to them, like just moving a piece of furniture or making sense of a bill. Fiesta! Your a good boy!

ponycar

Tele-Meister
The internet is justifiably known as a vehicle for cowards to be rude, if not cruel, with anonymity
Very little of that appears here. I love it when folks here are kind and patient with someone asking a question that they've hear a hundred times. This community has been a comfort these last few strange years.