What Makes TDPRI So Special To Me.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I'm not into social websites. I'm into guitars. Every single type. I love them all. I'm also heavily into the history of the acoustic and electric guitar as well as the history of Rock music. I love all types of music that feature guitars and that's a long list I don't think I need to create for our membership. You folks already know. I guess Rock music has, in my case, something to do with birth date. Rock music came into being as a real musical format during '54 and '55. I was born January 5, 1955. It's always been so cool to me that I arrived at the same time as the birth of Rock & Roll. I know. It's silly. I had nothing more to do with it than being born. Mom and Dad were responsible for that. Still ..... The 1950s. Fender Telecasters and Stratocasters. Gibson Les Paul's and ES335's. Gretsch Country Gentleman, etc.. Rickenbacker. Elvis. Ricky Nelson & James Burton. Rock Around the Clock. It truly was a birth time for everything electric guitar related and it was my birthday too. I've always felt blessed. Truly.

I've belonged to multiple guitar websites over the last 18 years, (I purchased my first computer late in life in 2004). From day one I found that folks much younger than me made up the majority of members at these sites. Young folks jumped on the internet like wild animals in heat while folks my age, (even at that time), had kind of held back. Once I'd arrived I jumped right in and proceeded to get dissed or trashed by youngsters who seemed to feel only the latest and greatest tech mattered. Over time I found other guitar sites that recognized the fact that certain types of vintage electric guitar and amplifier tech remained more than relevant in today's day and age. While the majority of sites seemed to favor the electric guitar music from the '80s onward a few specialty websites became available that worked to remind players of the past. New isn't always best and neither is old. That's the clue to why TDPRI stole my heart. I'm soon to be 68 years old. We have members in their teens and members ten to fifteen years older than me. AT TDPRI we still recognize the truth of music, guitar and amp tech. Periods before and after the introduction of first studio and later rack and pedal effects. We are the electric guitar from inception to it's latest incarnations. We still discuss specific tube types, year of manufacture, amp class, ceramic vs. alnico speakers, etc. while also discussing modern amp, speaker and guitar effect types. We bridge generations.

I'm proud to have been born at the beginning of it all and have come to respect the opinions of those who could be my grandchildren.

I'm still, and will always be, a true tube amp player. I'll always maintain my favorites because of my age. That said ...... our younger members have kept my eyes open to future developments. Many of my favorite effect pedals are now based on a mix of modern and vintage tech. Something as basic as modern thick guitar picks have proven their worth. Instrument cables built in the 2000's are vast improvements over those that came before.

I guess I'm saying that TDPRI is something like those Sunday Suppers on "Blue Bloods" where young and old come together and share. The old opinions count. The young opinions are truly listened to and given consideration. No one leaves the table feeling dissed or ignored. No one approached the table thinking they had all the answers. It's a family gathering on "Blue Bloods" and it's a family gathering at TDPRI. I love you guys. When I'm here I feel at home. Among friends. No need for barriers, fences, boundaries, etc. My friends. My family. I love all of you!

Last edited:

boredguy6060

Poster Extraordinaire
I share your love of the guitar, I however have never demonstrated any exceptional talent. I have played the guitar since I was nine years old and I’ll be 72 in a few months. When I was at my playing prime I couldn’t afford any top line gear. Now that my playing is hindered by arthritis, poor eyesight and such I can buy anything I want. I own more acoustic guitars, electric guitars, amps, and pedals than at any other time in my life. I think the music stores had a real windfall when we were locked down with nothing better to do.
I feel fortunate to have pursued the guitar all my life.
Ill never cure cancer or world hunger, or win a Nobel Prize but I can claim to be a guitar player albeit a mediocre one.
Its not much but it’s something.

WingedWords

Friend of Leo's
Well said. I'm just the same age as the Tele.

I'd only add that I've found that, whatever subject I'm interested in, there are people here from all parts of the world who share it and have interesting things to say about it. Any sort of guitar of course, resonators, basses, but also things like bicycles, photography. Banjos :)

Last edited:

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I find it amusing how often I check in to this site. I don't own a tele, I don't even like teles, and my primary musical interests and pursuits veer far off what is the 'norm' on this forum. Sounds like a recipe for disaster but I feel I fit in to this community better then any of the other guitar/music based forums that I've been a part of.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
I too was born in the mid -fifties and weren't we a lucky generation in terms of music. E lived and saw all th grets. many have passed away but lefy this world with a legacy of great music. I believe the courtesy rules of this sit make it what it is. I've been a member since 2009 . Thanks ya'll for putting up with my thousands of typing errors. I was actually a very good Englisg student with pen and paper but prefer Maths, Electronics and Engineering which I ended up lecturing at College Level. Peace- be kind to eachother.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
kingofthehill00.gif

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I like the site, because everyone here is equal, or treated as such. You could have a current #1 record, or maybe your band peaked at age 16-17 and it has been all downhill since. Nobody seems to make any money, but all you gotta pay is attention and respect to others.

Several decades ago, every person you knew could recite dialogue from "Casablanca". Or they watched Reggie Jackson hit 3 home runs - "Mr. October". Now, increasingly, there's simply not enough shared experience, from one human being to the next. That shared experience can, however, be found here. That's what makes TDPRI happen - and the general good manners you see also, springs from our shared experiences. Our common bond.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I share your love of the guitar, I however have never demonstrated any exceptional talent. I have played the guitar since I was nine years old and I’ll be 72 in a few months. When I was at my playing prime I couldn’t afford any top line gear. Now that my playing is hindered by arthritis, poor eyesight and such I can buy anything I want. I own more acoustic guitars, electric guitars, amps, and pedals than at any other time in my life. I think the music stores had a real windfall when we were locked down with nothing better to do.
I feel fortunate to have pursued the guitar all my life.
Ill never cure cancer or world hunger, or win a Nobel Prize but I can claim to be a guitar player albeit a mediocre one.
Its not much but it’s something.
What boredguy6060 said. Some said I had real talent for the sax, but the guitar was always what I wanted to play. I donated the sax to a school that really wanted it. I struggle with guitar, but I love the instrument, and even the smallest victories make me happy.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Well said. I'm just the same age as the Tele.

I'd only add that I've found that, whatever subject I'm interested in, there are people here from all parts of the world who share it and have interesting things to say about it. Any sort of guitar of course, resonators, basses, but also things like bicycles, photography. Banjos :)
Ah, guitars, bicycles, and cameras… are you in IT?

Martian

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I found this group while recovering from an operation. I was struck not just by the topics but also the tone of the discussions. People here are nice. And often pretty funny. There’s a lot of respect and a lot of good writers here. Plus, I think it helps get my blood pressure down. Especially after reading the news. So I’m thankful for it. To me it’s like watching Ted Lasso; it’s good for the soul.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
This is my social group that happens to be about guitars. Apparently I joined in 2008. I became a paying member the 2 years ago and won a Vintera Tele Deluxe. I’m not going anywhere. Oh and the people. :)
You've been here a lot longer than me. I'm just a "short timer" of three + years and have never won anything except the good vibes I receive every time I log in and that's a win in itself.