1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Makes a Tele a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by horax, Mar 19, 2020.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

This is a tougher question than it sounds. There are many qualities that define what a Telecaster should be, but what makes it that way?

mid it the single cutaway dragon? The two pickups? The twang factor? Barrel saddles?

what exactly defines what a tele is (to you)?

there are many companies that make the single cutaway slab body t style. There are tons of different pickup options that are very similar.
    So what IS it?

Attached Files:

2. demon

demon Tele-Meister

The boring answer is that Fender owns the trademark; whatever they slap the Telecaster name on is, by their definition, a Telecaster. Could be a guitar or a waffle iron; still a Telecaster™.

3. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

To me, no contours, single cutaway, the headstock, control plate, and pick guard.

That's my personal opinion, even though teles have been coming out with contours....

To me, a tele with a humbucker isn't my style, but that's just me and they've been putting those in teles for a long time.

idjster likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

You do... they don't twang by themselves...:lol:

5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

It’s the body shape for me. I’ve played many different incarnations, with vastly different combinations. The neck isn’t a as defining as that slab, single cut body shape IMO.

For me it’s about that robust simplicity. It’s understated. No bells and whistles. But I don’t mean it to be derogatory. A Tele will keep you honest. Makes you work a little bit, and that suits me.

6. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Like ieatlions, I really like the robust simplicity. It really just lets you play and work to do it a bit. It just seems...right.

7. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

It is the simplicity in a sense, too. When I first started playing, I wanted a Les Paul, because that's what Slash played. But before that I bought a strat, which I still have, because I liked SRV, too. Then I got into the Black Crowes and they play tons of different guitars and have had several different lead guitarists. Found I can get some great Black Crowes tones with the tele. I bought my first tele 10 years ago.

It is understated. A fancy guitar with a lot of gold and binding doesn't make me play any better, and I always feel like a fancy Les Paul looks better than I can play it. There's something about a tele that is indeed understated.

El Tele Lobo and Gardo like this.
  8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Are we gonna beat this dead horse again?
    Fender makes it a Tele when they sell it as a Tele and put Telecaster on the headstock.
    It does not matter what pickups they use or anything else.

9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Pop Quiz

How many time has this question been posed on this site?

10. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

Wow, so jaded. The more times it gets asked the better. I was gathering sap tonight and watching the tractor work reminded me of a telecaster. An old design that works so well there isn't a need to change it. And, they look better all beat up.

11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

It's what Fender decides they can sell at any particular moment .... no holds barred ... they own the name ... they can issue a Strat and slap a Telecaster decal on it, if they want to ....

demon and Mike Simpson like this.
  12. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

For me it's the pickup within the metal bridge that really does it.

Praxis and Treehouse like this.
  13. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The pickups. Build a Tele. Build a (hardtail) Strat. So similar as not to matter. But the sound is completely different. The bridge, too, but I say pickups because I play neck a lot of the time, and even that sounds so un-Stratty.

If the question is really what makes a Fender Tele any better than a different maker's T-type, the answer is: depends on the builder, but likely nothing. Just nice having the label, though.

14. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

for me, while there is a case to be made for headstock shape -- its a body shape ... if it looks like this, its a Tele

Image 3-19-20 at 8.25 PM.jpg

Loaded Goat, JL_LI, AAT65 and 4 others like this.
  15. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

The player.

AAT65 likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

It's all about the Deja Vu.

17. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

To me it comes down to the bones, the body and the neck.

I have believed for a long time that alternative Tele's like the Tele Jr and Tele Plus are just as Tele as any other.

I don't think James Burton would say that his lace equipped signature Tele was not a Tele. Or that it needed a three barrel bridge to be one.

Ole Fuzzy would start counting the number of flat head screws...

18. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It's the ergonomics of the guitar.
    Check out where the thigh cut is for sitting down
    Check out where the strap pins are for standing
    See where the bridge is located relative to those conditions.
    Without looking, see where your picking hand rests, even without thinking. Most players it's on the bridge or behind the bridge putting your pick between the saddles and the bridge pickup. That's where Twang! happens.

Now try a Strat, it will feel like playing to your right side. Plus that volume knob makes you pick out between the middle and neck pickup.

Try a LP and it's a little to the left. And you palm mute on the bridge saddles.

Try a Jazzmaster it's a little more to the left. Your arm lays on the body and you pick between the pickups.

Try an SG and it's a lot more to the left. Way left. And they were trying to build a 'Strat beater'... design by committee in so many ways, that guitar.

nomadh, Bergy and horax like this.
  19. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Simplicity

Loaded Goat and Jay Jernigan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.