1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Makes A Person Want An Esquire?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by LWS66, Jan 15, 2021.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh cool good info!
    So the Esquire was brought back byFender Japan in the mid '80s, I knew I'd seen old ones but the mid '80s you really need to take the neck off to date. Really nice production then, as were the Tokai lawsuit Fender copies.
    Some other Japanese lawsuit copies were nice too but I have less experience with them.
    It was the other copies factory that made the fist MIJ Squier and Fender though, Tokai didn't make Fenders until the '90s AFAIK.
    Fuji Gen was the first factory making Fender branded Fender "copies", and they also made what, Ibanez?
    And a few other brand names.

The point being that those were super nice Esquire reissues made by a Japanese Fender copier who strove to make them as nice as the originals, AKA better than CBS owned Fender.

archetype likes this.
  2. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

My Esquire is my heaviest guitar and in my opinion the best sounding guitar I own. I bought it over in Tennessee on my way to the Amigo's guitar show long ago and paid a bit too much for it because I didn't know any better and I believed all the "Hype". I still like it.
    Esquire.jpg Esquire2.jpg Esquire3.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

3. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

Currently at least two in production. Both fancy artist ’canvas’ models. Can be seen at the top of this search results page (which may or may not work). Also some paisley Thinline Esquires on this page I hadn’t seen before - Double Esquire, whatever that means. Something to do with the way the pickups are wired. Also a reversed bridge I see.

https://shop.fender.com/ja-JP/search?q=Esquire+&lang=ja_JP

Pax/
    Dean

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi again.

In case that search result link doesn’t work, here’s the individual links to the MIJ Esquires.

Also links to the paisley Double Esquire I found, and a pine 50s Esquire. I think they’re not MIJ, but rather, custom shop. Just throwing them in as a bonus.

https://shop.fender.com/ja-JP/elect...t-canvas-esquire-yusuke-hanai/5501100305.html

https://shop.fender.com/ja-JP/elect...japan-original-canvas-esquire/5501000305.html

https://shop.fender.com/ja-JP/custo...esquire-thinline-custom-relic/9235001186.html

https://shop.fender.com/ja-JP/custo...tage-custom-1950-pine-esquire/9235001175.html

Pax/
    Dean

5. fraser

fraser Tele-Afflicted

I generally never use neck pickups.
    For real.

6. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Well, it was Leo’s entry into the electric Spanish guitar business...

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I like the way bridge pickups sound. Esquires milk a lot of different tones from the bridge position. For much of the music I play, I would rather have three pre-set bridge pickup tones on tap than I would bridge and neck pickup tones.

Don't get me wrong about neck and middle pickups. I love them, and use them. But for a lot of stuff I do, they aren't used...so might as well use the switch to get some extra stuff from the bridge pickup. With an Esquire, I go back and forth between positions 1 and 2 quite often. It's the equivalent of using the tone pot on 10, and the tone pot rolled down a bit...but you don't have to search for the rolled down tone in the middle of a song. You set it ahead of the song, and can simply switch to it when playing.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

While searching for something totally different on the Fender site, I saw their manal for the MIJ Esquiers. It's a universal manual and applies to several of the MIJ "vintage" models, but contains the '54 and '62 Esquire brief specs.

Reissue '54 and '62 Esquire (Japan 1986)

Not particularly useful, but there it is.

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

Simplicity!?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was intrigued by the idea of less magnetic pull on the string. I built my first (um, 2 or 3?) Esquires and enjoyed them a lot. I think I used the Mike Eldred mod control panel in all of them. I might try that yet with this one. There is a little something about just the bridge pickup. Sort of like the Les Paul Jr or the SG Jr single pickup guitars. Except it's a tele shaped object :D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Esquires. Esquires make me want an Esquire. Next question?

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I don't have one, but I assume it's sort of a relief to have something so simple, particularly after you've built a few mostrostities with mini-toggles all over the pickguard whose functions are lost in the mists of time.

13. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

I think he might be a commie, that's what I think.

14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It used to be, not enough dough to get 2 pickups.
    It's still the same for me. IMG_20210103_150925.jpg

gregulator450 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Because Jeff Beck played one in the Yardbirds

newtwanger likes this.
  16. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

I have heard and read a lot of people who like the Telecaster for its bridge pickup sound. If's that's all you like about a Telecaster, I'd say get an Esquire.

The first rock guitarist who really fascinated me with innovation was Jeff Beck of the Yardbirds. He had an Esquire.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. telemnemonics

When Gibson strips a guitar down they reeeaaallly strip a guitar down!

18. telemnemonics

Ya know when I was little I would ask why fairly often but eventually realized not many answers were out there.

So I got to the searching stuff out for myself.
    I do find it interesting to learn the motivations of others, but mostly I just do whatever I feel like doing as long as I can live with the consequences.

So for the sake of understanding WHY players choose guitars over loaded with pickups switches and knobs like a space ship; can anyone explain that?
    And because it’s there or because it affords more sounds is not a reason to want what’s there.

Go out to dinner, order three main courses?
    Go on a date, invite three girls?
    Commute to work, tow a boat behind your car with a hang glider stowed in the boat?
    Why?

19. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The inexplicable lack of appreciation for a neck p/u.

scotman likes this.
  20. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

They look cool.

newtwanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.