1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Makes A Person Want An Esquire?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by LWS66, Jan 15, 2021.

1. LWS66

LWS66 TDPRI Member

Simple open question(s): What's your reason for wanting an Esquire? What does an Esquire guitar mean to you, or represent? In my case I really only need the 6 strings, one pickup, and a couple of frets.....:rolleyes: as I need to master things on a small scale first (which I haven't!) What do I need more pickups, frets, controls etc to confuse and distract me for!! What say you?:)

2. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Internet forums....

jdw3, nicknklv, Chicago Matt and 16 others like this.
  3. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Well.....for me it's kinda the same thing but in reverse......

After decades of owning, using, and becoming conditioned into thinking that more features and controls are better and necessary, I became attracted to the relative simplicity of the Esquire and have really enjoyed discovering that one can get a wide variety of sounds from it. Same thing has sorta happened with amps. In the past few years I have become attracted to the simpler tweed circuits. Still love my BF and SF Fenders, but lately have really enjoyed playing my 57 Custom Champ - so pure and "connected" if that makes sense. Just like the Esquire, varied playing technique can produce a pretty wide variety of very musical tones from that simplest amp.

jdw3, Maguchi, Bluesbird and 8 others like this.
  4. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This!

5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

It's all about the decal.

nicknklv, Twinkie, E5RSY and 6 others like this.
  6. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

For me it would be simplicity. I've got a Cabronita and there's something cool about not having a bunch of knobs to mess with and making do with the sound you've got. Same idea as a LP Jr.

8. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Oh, it's a guitarist status symbol to own an Esquire. Squier or Mexican Fender has never made one for the common man, Custom Shop only! The common man could never afford to own a basic single pup guitar costing $3500!

9. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Agree with simplicity too. I play a Telecaster because it feels and responds like an acoustic guitar, to me. I’ve dug the Esquire since I first saw photos and that’s well before I even owned a Telecaster or prowled the internet. They’re just cool.

Jackadder, since71, Thorne and 3 others like this.
  10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Uh, there are Squier CV esquires available right now. And there have also been MIM reissues.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...squire-vintage-white-sweetwater-usa-exclusive

BuckSatan, dvh2, gkmacdonald and 13 others like this.
  11. Cadillac_Mike

Oh cool, didn't know that.

12. Jakedog

There’s also currently an MIM Brad Paisley Signature Esquire at $1400, and the MIA 70th Anniversary Esquire at $2k. So boat loads of non- custom shop options.

drlucky, telemnemonics and donrichfan like this.
  13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

What makes a person want any particular guitar? There are people who want Keytars. There are people who buy banjos. Why does somebody need a special reason to want an esquire, which is most of the way to being the best guitar out there (just needs a neck pickup).

14. Cadillac_Mike

But isn't that a relatively new phenomenon? After Fender made the original pre-CBS Esquires what was the next one they produced after that? I don't think I've ever seen any Fender or Squier made Esquire from the 70's - 2010's except Custom Shop. The oldest one I've seen was a 1991 Custom Shop before 60's originals.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Esquires are just, perfect.
    What I can't understand is why so many players want extra pickups and switches?
    Extra features I sort of understand with cars, houses, lawn mowers that carry you around the yard etc.
    But playing music?
    Why put all those switches and knobs on a musical instrument?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  16. Cadillac_Mike

I can't live without neck pups for soloing and even on my Strat I rarely play on just the bridge pup with tone up all the way... Just too much trebble. When I play classic country on my Strat on the bridge pup I dial back the tone all the way to around 5-6.

Maguchi, ragamuffin and howardlo like this.
  17. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

I purchased my Esquire because it had a fat neck. At the time I had an American Fender Jazzmaster circa 2003. For whatever reason, Jazzmasters must come equipped with wafer thin necks. Always and without exception. I was looking for a guitar on ebay and the description read "Fat Neck". My guitar at the time was a G&L Classic that I enjoyed immensely (other than the tiney neck) so I jumped on the mystery Esquire. Turns out it was being sold to me by the owner of RS Guitarwords, which I didn't know them at the time. Even if I did, I had no idea of the company anyways. Years later I would find nor the guitar body or neck was RS production; only the electronics.

Esquires are cool because

1-The single slanted pickup makes the guitar look like it is sneering at you

2-The less magnetic pull ... yea yea I know ,but I believe it to be true.

3- You can adjust the heel adjusted truss rod without removing the neck (only the pickguard) because the neck pickup is not in the way

4- The bass or "cocked wah" position sounds infinitely more interesting with fuzz than the neck pickup (ymmv)

since71 likes this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

You know what made me want an Esquire? People on this forum arguing incessantly about them, and the realization that my planned Partscaster would be easier to wire and cost less if I built it as a Partsquire. :D

Seriously, though, I’ve never been without at least one single-pickup guitar since then. They’re good exercise, if nothing else.

19. Jakedog

The original run went from ‘51-‘69.

I don’t remember when the first MIM run came out... it was awhile ago. Maybe late 90’s or early 00’s?

There were MIJ resissues in the 80’s. But they’re exceedingly rare as they didn’t sell well at all. The 80’s wasn’t really a time for an Esquire, though.

Edit: The first MIM Esquire reissue I played (or maybe it was MIJ? I wanna say MIM) was at Dave’s Guitar in LaCrosse, WI. That had to be either ‘95 or ‘96, cause I only lived there from mid ‘95 to mid ‘96. It took me a bit to dig it out of the mental hard drive, but that definitely happened.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  20. sjwieczorkow

sjwieczorkow Tele-Holic

Are you being facetious? Though I am fairly drunken at the moment and also live in Wisconsin, I can not comprehend your degree of sincerity.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.