What made Ringo a great drummer

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Apr 4, 2019.

1. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

As UK comedian Phil Pope said in 1981:

“Ringo Starr. Alright maybe he wasn’t the best drummer in the world. Alright, maybe he wasn’t even the best drummer in The Beatles”.

But Thomas the Tank Engine wouldn't have been the same without him.

Greggorios, DuckDodgers and Ben-Zion like this.
  2. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

That was a fanTASTIC video!

3. FatRosie

FatRosie Tele-Meister

Ringo has said that his fills are his art. He does do interesting fills... not always fancy, but always interesting.

All the drummers I have played with had a hard time mimicking his stuff. They gained respect for him when we tried to cover his stuff, if they didn't have it before.

I don't personally think he's as good as, say, John Bonham... but he's definitely under-rated. On the other hand, only four people on earth got to be The Beatles, so he's got that!

Greggorios, DonM and 41144 like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

And one more: Buddy Saltzman. He was a prolific East Coast session man like Hal Blaine. Among his notable efforts, played drums on all the Four Seasons' records ( some epic work) and Locomotion.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. DonM

You got that right. I took my girlfriend to see Herman's Hermits and the screaming was so loud that if you listened very carefully you could barely make out what song they were playing. You just saw their mouths moving and maybe a drumbeat and occasional guitar. And you can probably crank that up a few notches for the Beatles. With no monitors I don't know how those guys did it.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Cool, I'll have to youtube a little of that when I should be working today.

DonM likes this.
  7. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

My drum teacher- this is back in high school, around 1969-71- was an older guy who had played in the Chicago Symphony in the 1920s. He told me the best drummer in rock and roll was Dino Danelli. Makes sense. Danelli was a protege of Gene Krupa, who was THE drummer in swing era. Danelli’s parts never stood out in a way that made you go, hey, listen to what the drummer is doing, but he had a rock solid sense of time, he swung like crazy, and never overplayed. He also made me want to learn to spin drumsticks ;-)

drmmrr55 and DonM like this.
  8. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

To me, the guy in the avatar looks like someone with a ginormous ego. :D

drlucky likes this.
  9. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think Danelli is a fantastic drummer. IMO he's one of the best in rock and pop music.

It you get past his flashy approach to performance, he's the driver of the song, has his own voice on the drums, puts swing in pop and 'pop' in non-pop songs, and delivers what the song needs to work. It's often occured to me that he was the most distinctive musician in the Rascals.

DuckDodgers and DonM like this.
  10. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Many have seen this clip above, but posting it again fills in some info on what we've been discussing farther down in this thread:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    klasaine likes this.
  11. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

When one remembers that so many of these great tunes were B-sides...Some of which would have been the peak of a normal artist's career, and for these guys they were throwaways...Pure genius.

klasaine likes this.
  12. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really play a ton of Beatles at the house. At any given moment you're more likely to hear Wayne Shorter, Keith Jarrett and Stevie Wonder at my place than just about anything else.

What kinda blows my mind is that my 10 year old loves the Beatles. And 'knows' them when he hears them. Even if it's a tune that I know he hasn't heard.

When the 4 of them were together - there was no one better. A high bar indeed.

DuckDodgers and FatRosie like this.
  13. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

what's the old saying "you are what you eat"....you are what you listen to, no matter what you play.

14. DonM

Ignore: I replied to wrong post.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

A merseybeat drummer who could keep up with some of the most diverse and experimental songwriters in the pop genre, and get a groove on with Paul’s inventive bass lines. He wasn’t a jazz or heavy rock drummer. He did what he needed to. Maybe not a lot more but my fondness for those recordings are for all of them including the drums.

Ben-Zion and FatRosie like this.
  16. DonM

Yes, a great drummer who gets overlooked. I saw the Rascals twice in the '60's and he's something else. Extremely flashy with the twirling and tossing the sticks in the air without missing a beat. I still count out the pause in Good Lovin' every time I hear it. Come in on the eighth best.

DuckDodgers likes this.
  17. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Dino is definitely one of the best, and he made sure he had a style all his own. Watching him play is why I took up drumming in Junior high school! And he played in a top notch band with Felix Cavalier! The Rascals were so totally underrated!

DuckDodgers likes this.
  18. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For those who think Pete was better than Ringo:

19. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Stu? The original bass player? What did he have to do with Ringo's arrival?

As for his Ego, I'd love some backstory here because that's not the impression I have ever gotten from him. Although I have not met him myself I have heard many positive stories about Ringo from people that have... and from a couple musicians that had a chance to work with him on one of his "all star band" tours.

I don't doubt that some people may have had a bad encounter with him and may have written about it, but context is everything... and all of us (if famous enough) could be slagged for our responses during ill timed encounters.

20. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

The three other guys...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.