What made Ringo a great drummer

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, Apr 4, 2019.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

An interviewer once asked David Gilmour: "Nick Mason - talent or luck?"

Same applies here, I guess.

2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I like Nick's drumming, beside he's the only one who has seen every Pink Floyd show ever done..

its quite interesting to follow Pink Floyd's progression from the days when Gilmour wouldn't even face the audience because he was ashamed of how they sounded to filling stadiums.

if you continue to try, and you learn as you go, the world is your oyster...

Should you read up on Pete Best, it seems the Beatles got rid of him not because he wasn't good, but because he was too good and it was dangerously close to becoming the Pete Best band.. which lennon& mcartney weren't too keen on ...

in Germany, they used to do a set where they moved the drum kit up to the front of the stage and Pete would do his thing to much fanfare.

so probably why they liked Ringo so much and why they were worried when they broke up that he couldn't make it alone (which he did have a nice solo career)

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

Rory Storm was likely a bigger star than Ringo at the time, every time I've seen ringo mention the Hurricanes in front of the beatles, john changes the subject...

drmmrr55 likes this.
  4. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Who's Jimmy Nicol?

5. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

He filled in when Ringo had a tonsillectomy and the Beatles toured, I believe, Scandinavia. Supposedly he inspired the song Getting Better by repeating the phrase "it's getting better all the time" when asked how things were going.

Greggorios likes this.
  6. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

Anyone who thinks Ringo can't play needs to watch this entire concert. Mindblowing. Even if he couldn't quite cut it under the microscope of studio recording, even if he's playing parts he didn't write, he's CRUSHING it. Every bit as good as John Bonham or Mitch Mitchell.

The real question is how different our mental pictures of Mitch and Ringo would be if Jimmy Page produced them.

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Regarding the OP ..... Kismet, right place - right time.
    As for his drumming ... His finest moment was, for me, Tomorrow never knows.
    But, regardless of the naysayers here ... He did a great job for that band. :cool:

suthol, FatRosie, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As an example, I would take Ringo in my band any day over Moon or Peart. Does that mean I think the latter two aren't amazing talents? No.

But he knew what not to play. And maybe he did have limitations because he was left handed or whatever. I don't know. But I loved that video in the OP and it really opened my eyes to what I've always liked about Ringo. Spare, swing, unique. But still drove the song along.

To many "musicians" overplay IMO. One of the things I love about the Beatles (even though I'm not a breathless apologist, I do love their music) is the economy and space, without feeling spare.

YMMV.

9. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Everyone works with what they've got. And Ringo did pretty well. No different than driving a truck, selling real estate, or being a doctor etc. Some are just better than others and others are just there. Also being in the right place at the right time doesn't hurt either.

Greggorios, telestratosonic and 41144 like this.
  10. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Charlie watts could've snuck in too.

Greggorios and telestratosonic like this.
  11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

On the Love Me Do recordings, George Martin didn't think Pete was the best timekeeper in the world, so he told Brian Epstein he was going to hire a studio drummer for that session. George Martin said they could do anything they liked, regarding Pete on stage, but not the studio. Somewhere in the anthology series, I think it was Paul, said they had been pondering sacking Pete anyway, but were reluctant because Pete WAS the looker of the band and the girls all loved him. (he was a pretty good draw based on his looks) and had in fact, already hired Ringo to be their drummer, (before telling Pete he was history). They relegated the firing of Best to Brian Epstein. Life in the early '60s was a real soap opera!! LOL

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    VWAmTele and klasaine like this.
  12. aadvark

aadvark TDPRI Member

I believe, like all great musicians, Ringo's parts served the songs - timbrally, orchestrally, energy-wise, often minimally, often uniquely. It's about executing what is best, compositionally, to make the song and the whole as good as it can be, and more than the sum of its parts.
    Who cares about 'chops', or individual performances... not me, that attitude fails to get the important of collaboration, ensemble playing, chemistry.
    [as for the Yoko hate: very offensive and unnecessary - you don't have to like what she does, but please...].

13. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Bingo!

Greggorios and telestratosonic like this.
  14. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

FWIW Mr. Starkey is my favorite drummer.

This is a bit off topic re: the OP, but: When folks on TDPRI go after the Beatles, I've just given up. Have they no sense of how that band changed not just Rock, but film, fashion, politics, and on and on? It's like someone who hates baseball, or Louis Armstrong, or FDR...They just don't get it and no amount of explaining will help.....

DonM, Greggorios, Larmo63 and 5 others like this.
  15. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Holic

ringo was perfect for the beatles. very inventive.

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

And consider they were playing with no monitors, and archaic sound reinforcement.
    They could hear nothing on stage, yet they played in time and in tune.
    That is a band!

drlucky, DonM, Greggorios and 3 others like this.
  17. L.A. Mike

L.A. Mike Tele-Afflicted

somewhere over a rainbow (Ex-L.A. resident)
    At most of the concerts that were at sports venues like Shea Stadium, the vocals were run through a small P.A. system which was connected to a bunch of horns mounted on poles or towers. Anyone who's been to a baseball game knows what I'm talking about. They sound tinny and terrible. And the echo was ridiculous. That, and the sound of the amps coming from the stage were most of what the screaming audience heard.

[​IMG]

18. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

Don't leave out the screaming audience, That was louder than all of it! LOL

DonM and telestratosonic like this.
  19. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

What made Ringo a great drummer is the myth that he is a great drummer
    some of the fills on certain tracks are memorable Day in a life ,Strawberry fields
    but lets have it right 98% of their catalog is just a back beat even i could play it and i don't own a drum kit
    nice chap though peace and love

20. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Completely agree. RS was just in the right place at the right time when Stu got sick. He is, at best, a solid drummer, but his ego is ginormous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.